Thread: Loss in quality?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Loss in quality?

Hi, I just found this interesting line of products and it seems to be just what I need. I want to put my computer in the cellar where it's cold and less vulnerable for theft. On the computer I am running Media Portal which is an open-source Media center clone. I need to transmit the video and audio from my computer to my telly and the IR back to my computer.

Is there any loss in quality when it comes to Video and Audio? The length of the kat5 cable will be approx. 20 meters. Is there some sort of applifier or is the signals "just" converted back and forth?

Thanks in advance.

/Moltas

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Default Re: Loss in quality?

Hi

No loss in quality whatsoever......Just what you need, and the mk2 version due out anytime soon will have on board ir return ......I think the kat5 modules have been tested with cat5 of 100m .....

Is there some sort of applifier or is the signals "just" converted back and forth?

There is electonics to convert from unbalanced signals to balanced signals
    as far as i know...

HTH
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by moltas
    I need to transmit the video and audio from my computer to my telly and the IR back to my computer.
    Hi Moltas,

The Mk2 KAT5 units will suit your purpose exactly.

Is there any loss in quality when it comes to Video and Audio? The length of the kat5 cable will be approx. 20 meters. Is there some sort of amplifier or is the signals "just" converted back and forth?
    KAT5 units contain active electronics which ensure the signal at the receiving end is the same as that which was transmitted. You will get exactly the same results as if the Computer was next to your TV.

Hope that helps

Keith
    www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks for your quick replies! Great that the product keeps the signal as well.

Is it possible to buy your products in sweden? I asked some local shops but they have not seen your brilliant products

/Moltas

Is it possible to buy your products in sweden? I asked some local shops but they have not seen your brilliant products
    KAT5 units are currently being used in Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Spain, New Zealand, Australia, Eire, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales....and quite a few in England so global location isnt a problem :-)

With Mk1 KAT5 I was selling direct and building to order which did cause delays in supplying KAT5 units. I suppose until now the website should have carried the banner "KAT5 is not availble in shops" but that is about to change.

MK2 units will be built for me and will be available from at least two on-line suppliers and possibly many more. An announcement of where you can buy them will be made very shortly as soon as the first batch are ready for sale.

Regards

Keith
    www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks a million for your quick replies! I will sure let my friends know about you(r products). Do you know how much the M2 will cost?

/Moltas

Moltas

See my post from today - with such a short run you may well not need to go to such expense. Sending the signals directly over Cat5 cable will provide a great result. As for the IR, there are plenty of devices to cope with that available from high street retailers for a few quid.

Mutley