Thread: Worth upgrading Comfort for Zwave?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Worth upgrading Comfort for Zwave?

Hi All,

I am still running comfort 1 Ultra. I used to use X10 but dropped it as it was not reliable. I am now using quite a bit of Zwave and comfort is just my house alarm and ultra cool door bell that calls my mobile. I would like the Zwave and alarm integrated, Cytech now have a Zwave interface but I am not sure how well it would integrate with a controller such as Vera or Fibaro. Has anyone here taken this step? Is it worth me upgrading to comfort 2 (looks like over £700 by the time I am finished) or should I just link the two systems using something like a Fibaro universal sensor?

My needs are quite basic but I would like the Zwave system to know when the alarm is set so that it can simulate occupancy and adjust the heating. I was doing this with comfort before. for what the comfort upgrade will cost I can buy a Fibaro controller. I don't think either solution is ideal.

Hey Ian,

I am just going through the process of enabling ZWave on my Comfort Ultra II.

My interpretation is that Comfort acts as a secondary controller - where in your case the primary would be the Vera / Fibaro HA system. The process is you pair Zwave devices with your Primary Controller and then Sync this with Comfort - this means that Comfort is then 'aware' of Zwave traffic.

In my case I want Comfort to relay say the PIR activation to my HA setup (which uses a Z-Stick) so I can use it as a trigger

The current Comfort UCM/ZWave module is Zwave3 - You would have to check on the forums if this UCM is compatible with your Comfort 1 Ultra though.

Vangelis

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Vangelis

Thanks for the reply. I have checked and I do need to change most of my comfort system to support the Zwave UCM so it is quite an investment.

Another option you could go with is to have a Fibaro Zwave Universal Sensor hooked into some of the Comfort Outputs and set these as an Action when the Comfort it armed. This would give you the Zwave indication you wanted

Vangelis

I am considering something similar however am planning on using a raspberry pi running domoticz and a piface Digital. The alarm should be able to trigger the volt-free contacts on the piface digital card which domoticz can be configured to perform actions or run scripts. To interface into your Z-Wave network you will also need a usb z-wave stick.

This only becomes more cost effective than Vangelis suggestion if you wish to use more than four outputs from your alarm. The PiFace also has outputs that could be connected to an alarm input too.

James