• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_ha
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2014

Alternatives to Smartthings hub

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the home automation game, but I have a few items dotted around the house now.

Currently I have:
    • Sonos equipment
    • XBMC (running on a pi with a synology nas for media storage)
    • Multiple Belkin Wemo switches
    • Belkin motion detector

I plan on adding many more items and don't want to limit myself to 1 particular brand or technology.

What I am starting to realise is that I am forever in and out of different iphone apps to control them all. What I need is "a home hub" or a software equivalent that allows me to control everything from 1 app or web page. The problem so far is that I have struggled to find anything that is reasonably up to date and available in the UK.

I found the smartthings hub would do everything I need it to do and has lots of future scalability for different technologies, but it's not available in the UK yet. Does anyone know of a similar device or a software equivalent that would help me?

I did look at the openhab software and started playing around with it, but firstly it seems a little overcomplicated and secondly the iphone app seems to be pre-ios8 which will look terible on an iphone 6+.

I may be asking for the moon on a stick here, but I'm sure there must be something available...

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks
    Chris
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Welcome Chris.

The App switching mess is a metaphor for the entire smart home world. It doesn't appear particularly 'smart' at all sometimes.

Have a look at Roomie Remote - they support a lot of IP stuff including XBMC, Sonos and WeMo and the list is growing all the time...

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• chris_ha
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2014

Thanks! That is exactly what I need. I've spent the day setting up a custom control panel with all of the controls I need on 1 page all neatly laid out.

It also gives me some guidance for what future technologies I should purchase given its compatibility list.

Thanks for such an awesome suggestion.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

That's great to hear Chris. Thanks.

M.
        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
        www.twitter.com/ottomate
        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment