• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dharoon7860
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2014

Evohome system - help

I could really do with some advice about my woes with the Evohome system.
    I have a system boiler setup with an unvented cylinder. I have 2 motorised valves controlling the hot water and the central heating. I have the base pack, 5 trvs for all the rads and a hot water kit. My plumber connected them all up apart from the hr 92s last week and the hot water was working perfectly.
    However now I can't get anything to work properly. I reset all the bits and went through the binding process as in the instructions but can't turn the hot water on or off. I can manually turn it on but then it flips off with also the brd91 that connects to the rads.
    I have spent hours trying resetting and binding last night but without any success.
    I think I'm getting confused with the hot water configuration. I can bind the thermostat and then it says the brd 91 pairs but should I be using the hot water valve option or the 2 or 3 port valve options.
    Also how do I bind the rads brd91? I mean in what option do I do this?
    Do I need to use the boiler relay option?

Many thanks for your help with this as it is driving me mad!!!
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Have you signed up to the 'YouLearn' site:

UK.COM is the UK's preferred domain extension, offering excellent names together with high global and local visibility. Give your business the benefit of a UK.COM domain name.

There is a lot of additional information on binding. I have a similar system as yours. I have just looked at the valves on my system and a quick search shows that they are 2 port Honeywell valves: one, for the CH and the other for HW. The Evohome HW kit controls the valve which in turn sends a demand to the boiler. I assume that your plumber left you with a pump bypass?
    Last edited by HenGus; 20 December 2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Dharoon7860
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2014

Many thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the tutorials but still no luck!
      It's driving me mad!
      So I can connects the brd91 for the rads to the connector in a zone. But still no luck with the brd91 for the hot water!

Any advice would be great.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

This might be your problem (Credit to Richard Burrows - The EvoHome Shop http://www.theevohomeshop.co.uk/)

1. BDR91 Wireless Relay Box

Honeywell BDR91 Wireless Relay Box

This is an RF device and must be positioned with care so that the wireless signal can easily be sent and received to and from the evohome Controller.

We are finding the same problem keeps cropping up with these – incorrect positioning and ‘double binding’.

The Base Pack BDR91 Wireless Relay Box will come pre-bound as a ‘Boiler Relay’ and this is causing some issues, especially when using the evohome Base Pack with the evohome Hot Water Kit on S-Plan or Y-Plan systems (heating systems containing motorised zone valves).

So lets start with the basics!

As per Page 4 of the evohome Installation Manual, BDR91’s must be installed a minimum of 300mm away from the following (no exceptions unless you want future evohome system problems!):

Metal Objects (this includes boiler casings, hot water cylinders, expansion vessels, large quantities of copper pipework and metal single gang back boxes)
        Other BDR91’s!!!
        CS92 Wireless Tank Thermostat (part of Hot Water Kit)
        If the above points are not observed the evohome Controller RF Signal Tests to BDR91’s may still give an ‘excellent’ or ‘good’ wireless signal strength test, but it does not mean the wireless items will work correctly when put into normal operation mode.

It is also very important you try and visualise a path for the RF signal between the evohome Controller and the BDR91(s). If there is anything large and metallic in the ‘line of RF’ the likelihood is that the signal strength will be weak or simply won’t work.

Also in my experience it is really good practice if you just go ahead and make sure the BDR91’s are fully factory reset (‘BDR91 Reset Proceedure’ is on Page 19, Step 1) as soon as the BDR91 has been wired up, before you even think about binding the system.

Honeywell wiring diagrams for the correct wiring of BDR91’s, is from Page 44 to Page 47 of the evohome Installation Manual and the ‘BDR91 reset procedure’ is on Page 19, Step 1 (it says press and hold the button for 15 seconds, but in practice just press and hold until you get a fast flash which occurs at a count of about 15 seconds – ignore the ‘slow’ flash after 5 seconds at this stage).

An important note on the term ‘Boiler Relay’!

‘Boiler Relay’ seems to cause some confusion amongst a lot of people when binding the ‘heating BDR91′. ‘Boiler Relay’ is the term Honeywell give when using the ‘heating BDR91′ to create a ‘wireless boiler demand switch’.

So, basically if you have the following situations, you should bind the Base Pack’s BDR91 as a ‘Boiler Relay':

If you have a Combi Boiler.
        If you have an S-Plan or S-Plan+ system, have fitted HR92 Radiator Controllers on all radiators and you have electrically disconnected and placed into the manually open position the heating motorised valve(s).
        If you have an S-Plan or Y-Plan system and you are using the evohome Base Pack to control the heating system only (still using the existing programmer to control the hot water cylinder).
        If you are using the evohome Base Pack & evohome Hot Water Kit on an S Plan or Y Plan system, you will not need a ‘Boiler Relay’ and this function must be ignored when you are asked the question when going through ‘GUIDED CONFIGURATION’ on the ‘INSTALLATION MENU’ of the evohome Controller!

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
          • Feb 2009

When configuring an S-Plan or Y-Plan arrangement you should always factory reset the BDrs and only register them via the Hot Water menu as 2-port of 3-port valves. Any other configuration will not work properly.
          Sensible Heat
          SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Dharoon7860
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Dec 2014

So somehow the hot water has started to work when selecting the hot water valve setting instead of the 2 port option.
            Please tell me if I'm going to blow up my boiler with what I have done next. To switch the radiators on I have connected the brd 91 as a zone. I have set the temp high so it is effectively always on.
            Now I have connected the hr92s and assigned them to their specific zones. So the hr92 is controlling all the rooms.

What do you think. I couldn't work out another way for the hr92s to switch the rads on and off.

Many thanks for your advice

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
              • Feb 2009

It's still wrong, so reset the BDRs and re-register under the hot water/2-port valves option where you can register a hot water sensor, hot water valve and a heating valve. Register it correctly and it will work properly without having to create virtual zones that run your heating circuit whether your radiators actually need heat or not!

If you cannot get it working properly then you'd be bett off calling back your installer to do it for you even if you have to pay for their time otherwise you are loosing out on many of the energy saving features that make Evo such an efficient upgrade to your system.
              Sensible Heat
              SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Dharoon7860
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2014

Ok. So just to double check that I'm not missing something here.
                The heating valve is the bdr that controls the rads and the hot waters valve is the bdr for the hot water. Sorry to be stupid about this but I have tried resetting and rebinding this way so many times last night and didn't manage to get it to work. Will try this and inform you of my triumph or misery.

Comment

• HenGus
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • May 2014

As I said earlier, I have a similar system to you. I have 21 HR92s in 12 zones. During the afternoon, we usually have heating in one zone only. When the TRVs close, the green light on the BDR goes off, the CH motorised valve closes and the boiler demand shuts off completely. All 3 installers that I approached, said that they would use the 2 motorised valves for boiler control - particularly, for HW as it is important that the unvented tank high temp cut off is not compromised. My installer didn't get everything right but his parting piece of advice to my wife was ' you can let your husband fiddle with anything but the re-set button. This system is easy to set up provided no one pushes the re-set button. If he re-sets the system then I can almost guarantee that he will have to call us back."

Just to re-inforce Sensible Heat's point, this system has been saving me 25% on gas used for HW heating, and my bill for gas CH/HW and hob cooking was £45 last month.

Comment

• Dharoon7860
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Dec 2014

So undid what you said and all is working fine. I manually added the brd91 for the rads as the hot water valve. Now all works perfectly. Many thanks for you help.

Comment

Working...
                    X