• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MalcolmSu
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2014

ZWave in the UK - best controller options

I've a reasonable sized, long standing and stable, ZWave network (23 devices - more at Christmas) that I control with HomeSeer through an ACT ZCU201 interface.

However I absolutely hate moving or adding new devices as the transfer of info from the ACT ZTH100 controller to the ZCU201 is so unreliable. I've seen me try a transfer 10-20 times before HS picks up the changes or new devices.

I'd love to change it, but to what? What are others using? Aeon Labs Z-Wave Z-Stick Series 2 USB Dongle? Is it any better?

Malcolm
  • Marc
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2004

I'm using the Z-Stick and have had no issues with it what so ever. It's fast, reliable and just works. Best thing I ever did was to get rid of my ACT controller.

Adding a device to the stick is very easy. Just hit the button on the stick, then hit the button on the device and it's done. Then you just import into Homeseer. I've never had that part fail and am usually up and running in minutes.

I think the only downside is it's range which seems a little short. If you've got a lot of mesh enabled devices, this is irrelevant anyways

Comment

• MalcolmSu
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2014

thank you , I took the plunge and bought one which coincidentally is waiting for me when I get home from work tonight... I assume i'm going to have to re-learn and set up all my devices again though? That'll keep me busy over the weekend. :-)

Comment

• Jim Murphy
        Automated Home Lurker
        • May 2015

New Oomi controller coming soon

Hi Malcolm,

I don't know if you have bought another controller yet, but I found something that looks amazing on Indiegogo. I have only dabbled with Z-wave switching/dimming a few circuits.
        I was wanting to get into Z-Wave home automation, but I didn't really like the available controllers. The MicasaVerde ones were cheap, but didn't seem to have a good user-interface. The Fibaro Home Center is more powerful and has a great user-interface, but is expensive. I was toying with the idea of using a Raspberry Pi combined with the Razberry Pi Z-Wave add-on as a Z-Wave controller and combine this with a tablet to control the Z-Wave system. This, however, would have needed loads of programming using Python - a language that I haven't used yet.

I just came across this new start-up called Oomi and they have put together a very feature-rich controller! It seems like it will do everything I was wanting to do with the Raspberry Pi and a whole lot more. You can pre-order their kit at great prices on IndieGoGo for a limited time. Have a look at the attached link - they are doing a great introductory price for the next month, but the disadvantage is we will need to wait until October. I ordered the platinum kit. They have teamed up with Aeon Labs who are building the accessories for them.
        So easy anyone can set it up in under 5 minutes. Easy, fun, and nothing else like it. | Check out 'Oomi - Welcome Home 2.0' on Indiegogo.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X