Thread: OpenRemote as a complete controller solution?

Automated Home Lurker

Default OpenRemote as a complete controller solution?

Hi,

I would quite like to set up OpenRemote, and for Z-Wave, OpenRemote state I need "Aeon Z-Stick Series 2". Does that mean I don't need to buy a controller such as the Fibaro Home Center 2 / Home Center Lite?

Is there any disadvantage to going down the OpenRemote route? I do see there is a limit to 10 devices with the Free OpenRemote solution. The "Professional" license of OpenRemote is 150 Euros, and the hardware costs seem to be a fraction. Aeon Z-Stick = 41.00 v. Home Center 2 / lite 497 / 250.

This massive price difference makes me think I'm not getting something.

Many thanks

W.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi again,

Sorry to bump, but I'm still hoping someone may have some advice on this topic, that they'd care to share?

Thanks,

W

Are you still interested in an answer? No, with OpenRemote + the Aeon Z-stick you don't need a controller as you got everything you need. I went the Indigo + Aeon Z-Stick + MacMini. Much more powerful solution. Best of all is that you got a software based controller solution. This means that you can upgrade much more easily than with a hardware based controller. Also do you really think hardware controller vendors want to keep your controller software upgrading for free for ever? But the main difference is that with a software like Indigo the possibilities are endless. It does require to get your hands dirty though. But if you are into home automation chances are you are already getting dirty anyway! ;-)