• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • courcirc8
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2014

Regulation problem with evohome.

Hello,

I installed an evohome (smart toutch and 3 valves) one month ago. Since I bought it I only found bugs in the installation menu (renaming zones after binding completely messes up the internal database) but after hard reseting everything, the system was working really well.
    4 days ago, external temperatures when down by 5-6 deg and now I'm freezing. The toutch is used as temp sensor and it measures internal temperatures 2deg below target with apparently no reaction. The valves are driven with 14 to 36% opening.
    My guess is that the valve measured temp is used as measured one, but I can't confirm it. Manual target override on the valves allows to warm the radiator until the main controller overrides the command.
    I am lost and I suppose that a firmware upgrade may solve the problem, but apparently Honywell refuses to diffuse it to end customers. I made the installation myself with material bought at conrad.ch and the vendor only propose me to return the "defective" product.
    Valve HR92 firmare is 1.01 and I don't know where to find the controller firmare version...

Thanks for the help

CC8
    Last edited by courcirc8; 30 December 2014, 03:54 PM.
  • courcirc8
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2014

Update: I unbinded/rebinded the valves with exactly the same effect: The valve displays the correct temp target but displays an ambiant temp 2 deg higher than the evotouch temp sensor and seems to ignore the main temp sensor. In other words, RF links seems ok in one direction at least, the valve reads the correct target, but the sensed temperature does not come from the main unit, even if it has been configured like that. (and the main unit shows that amp temp is 2 deg below target)
    Last edited by courcirc8; 30 December 2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
      Site Sponsor
      • Dec 2014

Hi,

I personally wouldn't use the internal sensor inside the evohome Controller for room temperature control - too many people pick the controller up transfer their hand temperature to the controller and you normally end up with the zone shutting down, false readings, etc.

In my eyes much better to use a more stable sensor like the HR92 radiator controller's internal sensor or use a separate sensor for the zone like the DTS92E if the HR92's positioning is not too good. Make sure parameter 8 on the HR92's is left alone - causes the HR92's display to show pointless 'offset' values which keep on confusing end-users.

Certainly sounds like a binding issue here - what I find is any 'bugs' in the evohome system are normally 'end-user' created. Not completely clearing the binding on the HR92's first and then rushing the HR92 Radiator Controller binding is where I find most people go wrong - take your time doing this give a few 3-5 seconds between the 'success' message being displayed on the HR92 and pressing the 'green tick button' on the evohome Controller next time. The location of the BDR91 is also a big stumbling block - got to be positioned well to stop transmission issues.

Maybe have a look at some of my tips on my website - http://www.theevohomeshop.co.uk/evo-help/ or give me a call for a quick chat if you are at a complete loss and I will talk you through things.

Hope that helps.

Richard - The EVOHOME Shop

Comment

• courcirc8
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2014

Many thanks for your reply.

I tried re-binding again. this time, I unbinded, reset, and removed battery on each valve (!!), whent to the binding process then waited as you sugested before pressing the ok button.
        I have exactly the same result. Interrestingly I have an other zone where the valve displays the zone sensor temp as ambiant temp (param 7 set), but for the zone that cause the trouble, the valve displays its own temp sensor reading (which is off by 1.5-2 deg due to radiator proximity effect).

For me the parameter 8 (calibration) does not have any impact...at all. Just looks like it is not implemented.

I aslso tried using an hcf82 as temp sensor, but same problem, the temp is correctly displayed by evotouch unit but not seen by the valves. Personally I don't like the hcf82 because of its too large temp compensation range making errors very easy. In addition, its size and design comes from an other time...

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
          Site Sponsor
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by courcirc8 View Post
          Many thanks for your reply.

I tried re-binding again. this time, I unbinded, reset, and removed battery on each valve (!!), whent to the binding process then waited as you sugested before pressing the ok button.
          I have exactly the same result. Interrestingly I have an other zone where the valve displays the zone sensor temp as ambiant temp (param 7 set), but for the zone that cause the trouble, the valve displays its own temp sensor reading (which is off by 1.5-2 deg due to radiator proximity effect).

For me the parameter 8 (calibration) does not have any impact...at all. Just looks like it is not implemented.

I aslso tried using an hcf82 as temp sensor, but same problem, the temp is correctly displayed by evotouch unit but not seen by the valves. Personally I don't like the hcf82 because of its too large temp compensation range making errors very easy. In addition, its size and design comes from an other time...
          YHPM!

Thanks,

Richard

Comment

• courcirc8
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Dec 2014

I finally reset everything including valves, evotouch, thermostats, etc, and this allowed me to isolate the problem!
            Everything was back to normal until I re-activated a -0.4deg correction for the internal temp sensor. This features does not work correctly if used: the evotouch sees the wanted correction but the valves do not display the evotouch control unit temp, but apparently their own measured temperature (and 6cm away from a hot radiator, this is a very inaccurate measurement).

From my understanding this is a real bug, but you can avoid it as soon as you are aware of it. The embedded software of my evotouch is from january 2014 (displayed in the boot-up sequence after I removed the backup battery). Is there a way to visualise the soft rev without rebooting and is there any other versions on the market?
            There is a mini-usb connector on the unit, and I'm pretty sure it is for software update, but is anybody aware of a software update for the evotouch?

Many thanks
            CC8

Comment

Working...
            X