X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Am finding this forum useful being a relative newcomer to Evohome.

With respect to boilers and whether to change my view is somewhat cynical. My heating engineers who have done servicing for me for nearly 40 years have amassed a lot of experience in fitting condensing boilers to replace "old" systems. They get many call outs to deal with condensing boilers compared to the old storage tank system. They have found life expectancy is not wonderful. Quoting me 8 years for some of the so called state of the art energy saving stuff. If I were to have maximum savings in running costs then I understood it could save me up to £200 per annum. That does not allow for degradation in efficiency that may occur. It seems to me that by the time I may ever have saved these wonderful amounts it is time to lay out the cash again to replace the boiler! The advice I have had to date from a number of professionals in the field is if my existing boiler is working well then leave it alone and even then some are suggesting not to change to a condenser. The firm that wired up Evohome controls were the last ones to advise that. I am no expert but I think the main part in my type of boiler to go wrong is the fan and that there is little else that will. A replacement fan is about £300 - had one two years ago! My wife though likes the idea of having the existing airing cupboard as extra storage space and I suppose I could well use the space in the loft taken up by 3 tanks! I'll hang on though!

To my mind it seemed I will save more by ensuring that I have more direct and better control over the use of the heat. The Evohome system provides that. I did not though go the Evohome route in order to save any money nor did I consider pay back time. I just wanted better and more efficient control over my heating and hot water and a more balanced temperature from room to room. All that has been achieved.

Sod's law that having written this my boiler will now pack up!

Comment

Working...
    X