Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer Inteface CM12

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Re: Computer Inteface CM12

Hmmm I'm not the only one sufffering with CM12 problems. The one I bought a couple of months ago is playing up already. Every 2 weeks or so it stops responding and stops sending X10 commands. If I unplug it for a few minutes it starts working again.

I'm begining to wish I had never heard of X10

Automated Home Sr Member danward79's Avatar

It is infurating isn't it
    Cheers

Dan

Automated Home Sr Member MrFluffy's Avatar

I must be mad persisting but, I went into a large national chain here (france) and nestling in their x10 section was a cm11 from marmitek identical to the last one of my fried units that was dead but under warentee, but I couldnt be bothered posting it back to belgium and having the usual arguments. So, we bought it (for 75 euros, ouch) and returned with a day later with the complaint that it didnt work .... (Ill leave you to join the dots up, but it goes back to the same manufacturer one way or the other) ... They told me this was the 4th unit they had recieved back dead out of 7 units sold. Its been a hot summer so far.
    So, upshoot is I have now got a working cm11 again, but already the case is feeling warm to the touch, so tonight to avoid it dying again I stripped it and dremmeled a durty big hole in the front cover over the transformer area to let some cooling air get to it along with drilling some 8mm exaust holes in the case, and mounted a tiny 220v cooling fan that I had lying round, and a old pc cpu heatsink to try and keep temperatures down. Hopefully this might cure the lockups and overheating. And Ive located it in the coldest place I can, in the workshop where its going to be well away from prying little fingers and its mounted where it cant accidentally be made contact with etc, given that its now got a gaping hole in the front. H&S would have a fit...
    Ill post in a month or so about the reliability of this unit (theres a LOT of x10 activity in our house and usually the cm11's lock up within a few days), and Im going to persue the alternative firmware route for it too, since I just got that downloaded tonight too..

Automated Home Lurker

There's a firmware update for the CM11? Where is it please, I've looked on the marmitek web site and can't see anything. My CM11 keeps locking up, it also seems to suppress all x10 traffic on the mains as I can't control any devices (except the transceiver) with my remote.

cheers.

Automated Home Lurker

I am just starting to look at home automation, indeed I have already bought a CM12 and a couple of other modules to play around with, but judging by all the posts in this thread, I would, in fact, be ill advised to consider X10 for home automation. Am I correct?

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm still using X10 in spite of the very poor track record of the CM12U. I havent had problems with other X10 devices. With the cost of X10 stuff in the UK compared to USA, its a wonder anyone uses it here. We must be Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by bootfinder
    ill advised to consider X10 for home automation.
    Lots of people have X10 with no problems. My experience is that its fine for a small install, but as it grows proplems can occur.

There's nothing to touch it at the price so its worth a try. If you decide to drop it later you can just unplug your modules and eBay em

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Mate
    If you decide to drop it later you can just unplug your modules and eBay em

M.
    Shame on you Mr McCall

Surely the obvious place to sell them would be on the AutomatedHome.co.uk website in the "Buy/Sell" forum :wink:

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

I was going to type that, but then I thought that goes without saying!

:P

M.

Automated Home Lurker

Hello all,

I had the same lockup problem with my CM11 module.

I searched the net for a solution and I found one that worked for me
    I provide you with the relative links for your information

http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana...face.htm#CM11A Reliablity issue

http://www.shed.com/ddt1.html

Use the following page if you are interested in upgrading
    the firmware (I did not try it yet)

http://www.geocities.com/manic_marv/

---
    pbalino