• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Draz
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2005

Re: Computer Inteface CM12

I'm still using X10 in spite of the very poor track record of the CM12U. I havent had problems with other X10 devices. With the cost of X10 stuff in the UK compared to USA, its a wonder anyone uses it here. We must be Mad.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
      Founder
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bootfinder
      ill advised to consider X10 for home automation.
      Lots of people have X10 with no problems. My experience is that its fine for a small install, but as it grows proplems can occur.

There's nothing to touch it at the price so its worth a try. If you decide to drop it later you can just unplug your modules and eBay em

M.
      Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
      www.twitter.com/ottomate
      www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Otto-Mate
        If you decide to drop it later you can just unplug your modules and eBay em

M.
        Shame on you Mr McCall

Surely the obvious place to sell them would be on the AutomatedHome.co.uk website in the "Buy/Sell" forum :wink:

Keith
        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• Otto-Mate
          Founder
          • Jan 2004

I was going to type that, but then I thought that goes without saying!

:P

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• pbalino
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Feb 2006

Hello all,

I had the same lockup problem with my CM11 module.

I searched the net for a solution and I found one that worked for me
            I provide you with the relative links for your information

http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana...face.htm#CM11A Reliablity issue

Use the following page if you are interested in upgrading
            the firmware (I did not try it yet)

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

---
            pbalino

Comment

• danward79
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Jul 2004

Interesting links I would be interested to know if anyone has used that firmware?
              Cheers

Dan

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                Founder
                • Jan 2004

Just spoken to someone that said it didn't work for the UK units.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• danward79
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Jul 2004

Thanks for the info
                  Cheers

Dan

Comment

• MrFluffy
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by danward79 View Post
                    Interesting links I would be interested to know if anyone has used that firmware?
                    Not yet, but my butchered cm11 is still working happily. So just a little extra cooling has done it the power of good it seems.

Comment

• TimH
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2004

Perhaps upgrade to a Homevision / Homevision Pro unit?

There's currently a special offer on for the Pro version, see:

I also recall lots of CM12 problems, but AFAIK the Homevision units have fared much, much better, dare I say faultlessly?? (anecdotal evidence only, mind)

OK, it is more expensive than a CM12 (but maybe not more than 5 of them ) plus you're getting way more functionality.

Just a thought

Tim.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

My homevision unit has worked flawlessly for over 3 years now. If you want a no-nonsense system that's not dependant on a PC then I would go for a Homevision or Homevision Pro. Plus you can connect either a PC or a Linux machine to it using the HVXL program which is an excellent alternative to the standard PC based Homevision software.
                        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• SElwell
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Sep 2005

Just to add my experiences

3x CM12 failures over the years (lucky I bought that job lot from Homebase all them years ago!)

On the site (http://www.shed.com/ddt1.html) it mentions 'How to avoid this problem !' the part about receiving regular X-10 commands on the powerline seems to be one of the differences between my failures and 5 years of problem free service.
                          I've got two CM11s to control different ends of my house/garden/garage.
                          Both CM11s can 'see' each other but their coverage is different, but they both receive and log each others commands.

Hopefully may help find the solution.
                          Last edited by SElwell; 21 October 2008, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• dunks517
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Dec 2005

Problem with CM12U

I have had constant problems with my CM12U since I bought it, in fact the only time that it doesn't give me hassle is when it is sat in a box in the garage.

When I use Harmony I get a contstant 'CM12 detected an error' which makes the use of harmony impossible, Active home doesn't like it but Media control does (but I'm unwilling to pay for another app).

Can anyone give me any pointers?

cheers

Duncs
                            Dunc's home install:http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...o-Gallery.html

Comment

• toscal
                              • Oct 2005

The only thing I can think of is have you removed the batteries. They are only needed for the internal clock. This was the first thing I did with mine when running it with Homeseer as it used to lock up. Worked fine after that. Well for about 7months. I then switched over to an XM10 and Homevision unit, as I needed a stand alone system similar to Homeseer but not reliant on a computer. This setup has never given me any problems for over 3 years now.
                              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jaffab
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Dec 2008

All,

I know that this is a farly old topic, but I can confirm that after a while of testing, two things which have worked for me are holes and regular poles. My CM11/CM12 device was giving real problems where it was freezing every 3rd or 4th day, and had to do the reset (unplug and leave for 10 minutes). In the end I did the following two things and have not had a hang now for 4 weeks and the CM11 is in much better condition in terms of burning smell/heat:

Holes..
                                I took the unit apart, and drilled lots of big fat holes in the white plastic case (being careful not to touch the PCB) - in particular, I drilled holes at the top of the unit, and over the device logo which is directly over the transformer, this lets the heat out. As other said, I remove the battieries and battery cover, and drilled yet more air holes through the battery cover

Polls
                                My control software is homebrew - not homeseer. So following advice on other forums, I put into my software that if I had not sent anything out by the device for 30 minutes, I sent a command out anyway to a non existant device (unit B10, even though my house code is "A"). I have read elsewhere that a regular poll can stop the units 'going to sleep'.

As I say, not sure which of these resolved the problem, but its been a month with no hangs, the burning smell is gone, and the unit is cool to the touch (before, it was red hot).

Ok, it looks like swiss cheese, but at least it works.

I hope this helps others on this forum.
                                Last edited by jaffab; 19 May 2009, 02:09 PM.
                                __________________________________________________ _______________________
                                My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

Working...
                                X