• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Draz
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2005

Computer Inteface CM12

I've now had two of these devices in two years amd both have stopped working with a nice burnt out component smell.

Is the anything else I can use to interface with my pc as the relaibility of the CM12 is not impressive.

I use X10 devices to control curtains and lights and use the dusk feature of active home.
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Computer Inteface CM12

The CM12U is notoriously bad. I've had problems too.

I'm not sure if there's a better made alternative. Perhaps one of the retailers might know?

What software are you using with it?

Thanks

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• jon00
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2004

There is the new USB version out now: http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/prod...sp?prodId=5690
      Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

Jon

Far as I know it looks like same serial unit with some sort of USB adaptor cable?

Thanks

M.
        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
        www.twitter.com/ottomate
        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Draz
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2005

The software I'm using is activehome 1.42 with with windows 2003 server. It works fine and does everything I need. I tend to download the timers to the CM12 but it makes the dusk times rather course with the number of events i have set.

I could control the lot from my pc as its always on. I love the the x10 system but I'm now on my third CM12 and wish there was something more reliable I could use.

Comment

• CBusShop
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2004

In our experience, the CM12U has a tendency to overheat and cause the internal transformer to fail under certain firmware conditions although the main European distributor disputes this.

We have been working on a replacement PIC processor and firmware to duplicate the original microcontroller functionalities but correct the overheating problem. The prototype replacement microcontroller is fully working apart from a persistent bug on X-10 receive when it locks up the serial port. Unfortunately, due to higher priority work, the project has been suspended until more programming resources are available to continue working on it.
            Kwong Li
            Laser Business Systems Ltd.
            http://www.laser.com
            http://www.cbus-shop.com

Comment

• tonythetiger
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jun 2004

I had similar problems with a couple of CM12's too. The first ones went pop big tyle and triggered the RCD on my fuseboard - thereby switching off the fridge and freezer.

Do not use the spare mains socket it gives you - I stopped using this after the second failure and this third one has been 100% for about 3 years now...touch wood.

Comment

• jon00
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Otto-Mate
                Jon

Far as I know it looks like same serial unit with some sort of USB adaptor cable?

Thanks

M.
                That's what I thought - It's Just what Ben posted in their forums: http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/foru...PagePosition=1
                Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• Draz
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by CBusShop
                  In our experience, the CM12U has a tendency to overheat and cause the internal transformer to fail under certain firmware conditions although the main European distributor disputes this.

We have been working on a replacement PIC processor and firmware to duplicate the original microcontroller functionalities but correct the overheating problem. The prototype replacement microcontroller is fully working apart from a persistent bug on X-10 receive when it locks up the serial port. Unfortunately, due to higher priority work, the project has been suspended until more programming resources are available to continue working on it.
                  Thank you for this infomation. I for one hope you find the resources to finish this project.

Comment

• MrFluffy
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Aug 2005

Re the hardware upgrade, so do I, I have 5 in a box in the loft all knackered with a faint burning smell. Will you be offering a repair/upgrade service if you ever get it finished?
                    It could go a long way to restoring some of the lost reputation caused by the cm12, and maybe some of the trust. I have over 3k in x10 gear and my wife is now making noises about having it all removed and going back to only "normal" electrical control that "just works" and has already put her foot down about some of my more interesting home automation projects due to reliability...
                    And I can confirm 100% that the usb version if you buy it in europe is just another unreliable CM12 with a serial->usb dongle, because one of the 5 in the bin was ordered when I naievely expected that a usb version might have fixed the problems. I wasnt shocked when it managed two months then gave up.
                    For the record, I havent used the passthrough on a cm11 since number 2 (even though the instructioncs explicitly tell you to plug the computer in through it) as all my pc gear is on a ups.

Comment

• Draz
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jul 2005

Hmmm I'm not the only one sufffering with CM12 problems. The one I bought a couple of months ago is playing up already. Every 2 weeks or so it stops responding and stops sending X10 commands. If I unplug it for a few minutes it starts working again.

I'm begining to wish I had never heard of X10

Comment

• danward79
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Jul 2004

It is infurating isn't it
                        Cheers

Dan

Comment

• MrFluffy
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Aug 2005

I must be mad persisting but, I went into a large national chain here (france) and nestling in their x10 section was a cm11 from marmitek identical to the last one of my fried units that was dead but under warentee, but I couldnt be bothered posting it back to belgium and having the usual arguments. So, we bought it (for 75 euros, ouch) and returned with a day later with the complaint that it didnt work .... (Ill leave you to join the dots up, but it goes back to the same manufacturer one way or the other) ... They told me this was the 4th unit they had recieved back dead out of 7 units sold. Its been a hot summer so far.
                          So, upshoot is I have now got a working cm11 again, but already the case is feeling warm to the touch, so tonight to avoid it dying again I stripped it and dremmeled a durty big hole in the front cover over the transformer area to let some cooling air get to it along with drilling some 8mm exaust holes in the case, and mounted a tiny 220v cooling fan that I had lying round, and a old pc cpu heatsink to try and keep temperatures down. Hopefully this might cure the lockups and overheating. And Ive located it in the coldest place I can, in the workshop where its going to be well away from prying little fingers and its mounted where it cant accidentally be made contact with etc, given that its now got a gaping hole in the front. H&S would have a fit...
                          Ill post in a month or so about the reliability of this unit (theres a LOT of x10 activity in our house and usually the cm11's lock up within a few days), and Im going to persue the alternative firmware route for it too, since I just got that downloaded tonight too..

Comment

• MikeD
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Sep 2005

There's a firmware update for the CM11? Where is it please, I've looked on the marmitek web site and can't see anything. My CM11 keeps locking up, it also seems to suppress all x10 traffic on the mains as I can't control any devices (except the transceiver) with my remote.

cheers.

Comment

• bootfinder
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Oct 2005

I am just starting to look at home automation, indeed I have already bought a CM12 and a couple of other modules to play around with, but judging by all the posts in this thread, I would, in fact, be ill advised to consider X10 for home automation. Am I correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X