X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matt1982
    • Jan 2015

Automating Electric Wall Heaters

Hi there first post here however I can tell it will be the first of many. I live in a city centre flat and as such there is no Gas central heating just electric wall heaters.

I was wondering if there is any way to control these items? The wall heaters are connected to the electricity supply via a Switched fuse connection unit. I turn these on and the heaters get power and heat the room. (The switched fuse wall socket can be left on and the heaters can be run on a timer there etc however it cant be done remotely and there is no temperature control.)

My question is, is there anyway to put a module on the wall switch that will allow me to operate these heaters remotely and perhaps going down the line get some more temperature control. Im not really sure what i need to start looking for however I understand the concepts and really would like to get into the home automation scene.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew
  • JeremyOlm
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2014

I tried installing a similar remote system for my previous house too but failed. I think the wiring inside the walls were already fixed and cannot be adjusted unless you rip off the entire setup and do up an entirely new structure. My estate agent was very familiar with the layout of the house so he was the one who gave the advice to consult electricians who are also skilful in electrical as well. Hence, we did that and he did a really good job.
    Jeremy Olm

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
      Site Sponsor
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by matt1982 View Post
      Hi there first post here however I can tell it will be the first of many. I live in a city centre flat and as such there is no Gas central heating just electric wall heaters.

I was wondering if there is any way to control these items? The wall heaters are connected to the electricity supply via a Switched fuse connection unit. I turn these on and the heaters get power and heat the room. (The switched fuse wall socket can be left on and the heaters can be run on a timer there etc however it cant be done remotely and there is no temperature control.)

My question is, is there anyway to put a module on the wall switch that will allow me to operate these heaters remotely and perhaps going down the line get some more temperature control. Im not really sure what i need to start looking for however I understand the concepts and really would like to get into the home automation scene.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew
      It depends on the power in watts of your current heaters, but no reason why something like evohome could not achieve this for you.

You would simply wire the switched fused spur cable into the Wireless Relay Box and the switch wire to the electric heater. Honeywell do a wireless box that can switch 10A @ 230v, alternatively you can use the BDR91 which could switch a high amperage relay.

Comment

Working...
      X