Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Automated Home Jr Member

I would like to see

1. Being able to switch to Fahrenheit for the temperature displays

2. More switching points per zone

3 Being able to select no idle screen so i can see all of my zones (6) all of the time, or allow the idle screen to show more zones

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Me-again View Post
    3 Being able to select no idle screen so i can see all of my zones (6) all of the time, or allow the idle screen to show more zones
    Already possible, I've always had the idle screen disabled on mine.

Go to Settings -> Device Settings -> Idle Screen, and set it to the right most option - Off.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Me-again View Post
    I would like to see

1. Being able to switch to Fahrenheit for the temperature displays

2. More switching points per zone

You can't work in F?! Surely they sell their kit in the USA...
    How many switching points are allowed?

I would really like the limit on zones increased. Even by a couple, though 16 would be ideal.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoy View Post
    You can't work in F?! Surely they sell their kit in the USA...
    As far as I know Evohome is an EU/UK product only.
    How many switching points are allowed?
    Six per day per zone. I do find myself hitting that limit if I try to get "clever" with my schedules.
    I would really like the limit on zones increased. Even by a couple, though 16 would be ideal.
    People have been asking for this for years but it's unlikely to be forthcoming. In other words don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 16th November 2020 at 10:03 AM.

Automated Home Guru

I can see running into 6 points a day although when you consider it takes time for the temperature to change perhaps we're trying too hard

Even if they said 12 zones per controller, but let you link controllers, would be cool. Otherwise you have to have two controller panels which is workable but kind of clunky.

Is Honeywell still selling/developing Evohome, or have they dumped it in favour of something new?

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    As far as I know Evohome is an EU/UK product only.
    You are probably right there. Interesting though is that the `old` API does in fact appear to support different units for temperature devices, but status reports show Evohome zones as `EMEA_ZONE` (EMEA is a common abbreviation for Europe, Middle East and Asia). The revised Evohome only API does not contain any such field, so possibly they once considered launching a US version (different frequency band maybe?) and then gave up on it.

Six per day per zone. I do find myself hitting that limit if I try to get "clever" with my schedules.
    I rarely touch the schedules. Whenever I like to change something, which usually happens to be for at most a few days, I use an external clock to set temporary overrides.

People have been asking for this for years but it's unlikely to be forthcoming. In other words don't hold your breath.
    I'm not actually sure what kind of home you'd need to have to create more than 12 zones. If you'd like this type of system for something like a B&B I'm sure there will be more business oriented systems, with a somewhat different price tag attached to it of course.

Automated Home Jr Member

DbMandrake, thanks i have looked for that idle screen option you mention but never seen it, i will take another look today.

MrBoy, i sadly found there were only 6 switching points per zone, 3 on and 3 off. had to drop one of the previous settings to fit the new one in . I was even more saddened to find i couldnt switch to Fahrenheit as I had the same impression as you that honeywell were mostly a US company so that temperature scale would be an option.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    I'm not actually sure what kind of home you'd need to have to create more than 12 zones. If you'd like this type of system for something like a B&B I'm sure there will be more business oriented systems, with a somewhat different price tag attached to it of course.
    My home could do with a 13th even 14th, potentially 15.

4 main rooms downstairs, then the kitchen and a conservatory are both extensions. 6.
    Similarly 4 bedrooms, and the main bathroom above the kitchen. Up to 11.
    Our loft was fully converted years back. One main room has heating, so that's 12.

It's a large house but hardly crazy.

Now we have the hallway and the upstairs landing bit. Those are on regular TRVs so they are on whenever anything else which is generally fine but in a perfect world that would be a zone, so 13.

Our main bedroom has an ensuite, we've tied this into the same zone as the bedroom which again is OK but if we could, we'd have it separate. 14.

Our downstairs loo/utility/laundry room would ideally be a zone. 15

I see our house as absolutely perfect for Evohome, it's what it was made for!

Automated Home Legend

You can use two controller, both controlling the same boiler and valve devices. Or audit your house and look for zones that all follow the same schedule - use multi room zones for that. Or large zones that don't need to be broken into multiple zones and use multiple actuators with a single sensor.
    Another trick to use, with the ensuite example is use it in the same zone but play with the offset, to keep them at slightly different temperatures.
    I only know of the Hometronic that had more zones.
    Last edited by bruce_miranda; 16th November 2020 at 11:56 AM.

Automated Home Guru

Yeah I'm aware of these things. The 2nd controller might work but then I wonder if you can link 2 systems into the app, IFTTT/Google and so on.
    As it stands we are right on the limit - one more room and it might be worth figuring out but it works alright.

It just seems quite an arbitrary limit, unless they want to avoid competing with their own pro-level system.