Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Automated Home Guru

Simple: An indicator on the controller as to which zone is currently demanding heat. A dot on the zone display is all that is required. Chris

Automated Home Sr Member

Indicator on the screen when boiler is firing (both on the "sleep" screen and the menu proper after you have woken it.

Range extender

Different icon to denote manual override (at present it uses the same stopwatch icon as a timed override)

Range extender

Option to override via the app from a certain time, (add a "from" option on the app alongside the "until") e.g the heating in a zone isn't due on until 5pm but I realise at 1pm that I want it to be on a bit earlier, say 4pm. I don't want to turn it on now, and I don't want the faff of altering the schedule and remembering to alter it back later.

Did I mention range extender?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    Honeywell is listening but that doesn't mean all ideas will make it through.

Haven't seen the Smartthings integration year so cannot comment on that.

I have added numbers to your points above so I can reply

1. Not likely
    2. Not likely
    3. Do you mean cheaper than DTS92E?
    4. Nice idea
    5. Unlikely
    6. This is possible on individual zones already, or do you have somethings else in mind?
    1. Needs to be done!
    2. Could live without
    3. Yes
    4. Thanks!
    5. Need this or similar, or at least #6 below. Just gives you that extra bit of flexibility.
    6. I don't wanna have to keep fiddling with multiple zones. I want a one click option. I'll revise this wish actually: I used to have a programmable thermostat (Owl Intuition) that allowed you to jump,to the next heating period. Thus, if I wake up an hour earlier, I can bring forward my schedule instantly. If I go to bed early, I can turn everything down ( by jumping to the overnight bit of my schedule) instantly. A feature I'm really missing.

Automated Home Lurker

I would love a normal browser interface to setup schedules and see some graphs.
    I used another e-thermostat for a while with just one zone and the interface was pretty good:

Automated Home Sr Member

1: Show which HR92 is calling for heat
    2: Connect locally to controller via app ( ie bluetooth to controller web interface without need for internet)
    3: app for graphing zone temperatures

Many thanks

Mick

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mickjohn View Post
    1: Show which HR92 is calling for heat
    2: Connect locally to controller via app ( ie bluetooth to controller web interface without need for internet)
    3: app for graphing zone temperatures

Many thanks

Mick
    Shouldn't need bluetooth to connect to the controller, the controller (or bridge on the older models) is a device on your local network, it has an IP address and should be directly addressable internally...there must be reasons why Honeywell chose not to provide local access to the controller but I can't think why. It's a pretty big PITA if you lose your network connection and can't control your system via the app.

My wish list would be;
    1. Local access to the controller
    2. Web-based (HTML5) controller interface (accessible locally too)
    3. Heat call indicator (which zone is calling for heat)

I had a couple more (i.e. the ability to boost the heating if the temperature drops below a certain value) but those can be done indirectly using IFTTT.

Automated Home Sr Member

Good point DJBenson re ip addy

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm a bit late to the party here but I may as well add my thoughts.

1. Web browser interface
    2. Ability to add electric only heat zones
    3. Save/load schedules created on a PC
    4. One more which escapes me at the moment but I'll add it when I remember!

Other than that, I really like that they are bringing home security into the system as I hate multiple systems that don't integrate.

Automated Home Jr Member

The only dissapointment for me is how Evohome resolves it's control logic for non HR92 systems. I mean those systems like mine which have one or more on/off zone valves. In essence; effective control of heat relies on effective control of mean water temperature at the radiator.

Whereas HR92 systems have the benefit of sensing water flow temperature as each radiator throughout the house, measurement of an effective water flow temperature at the radiators is assumed by Evohome software solely on a locally mounted room thermostat. Due to time lag of Boiler Relay calling for heat, and time taken for meaningful flow temperature to arrive at radiators (sometimes 1 to 3 minutes), stable comfortable conditions are not achieved. Evohome Boiler Relay 'minimum on time' adjustment does not securely resolve this.

In the case of zone valve heating networks where one of zone valves is used for HWS primary heating circuit the Boiler Relay should be de-coupled from HWS Service BDR91. Why? Because HWS BRD91 is controlled by a wide differential thermostat (6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 deg C) and therefore only operates HWS BDR91 when HWS Cylinder has cooled at bottom layer. Typically HWS timer setting could be 'ON the whole day' to satisfy irregular occupancy and diurnal HWS demands. Whilst present Boiler Relay is coupled to HWS Service Timer settings, when there is no heating demand or no low HWS storage, the Boiler Relay merrily continues to fire the boiler throughout the day - wasting energy and bad paractice. For this reason I cannot use Boiler Relay and min on time functions. Upgrading my system to Boiler Relay + BRD91 + wiring, for me was just a waste of money.

I see the quick solution being to de-couple Boiler Relay from HWS timer periods, allowing HWS BDR91 zone valve auxilliaries to be put in parallel with Boiler Relay output contacts.

In the long term I would like to see the recommendation for Boiler Relay abolished for Zone Valve systems and individual anti short cycling preset adjusters introduced for each individual heating zone so as to allow for differing thermal delays within the systems.

And for a bonus, I would like to see a similar function the Quick Select - "Heating Off"... Please give me an additional Quick Select to lift room temperature for a short while. (checkout MiGenie one click logic as example).

That said - I am happy to recommend Honeywell as best in class and would not wish to change mine.
    Last edited by Midori; 26th April 2016 at 11:42 AM.
    Assoc IHVE; Matthew Hall Satchwell MW Kellogg CompAir; posts are personal and my own view

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

My current wishlist:

1 - An 'expert' mode on the controller, not as pretty but with more info available. Such as (but not exclusively):
    1a - Which zone is calling for heat, not just on-off, but expose the 0-200 parameter used internally. And even better, show this at device level rather than just zone level.
    1b - In expert mode don't round temps to 0.5 degrees, or bias them towards the setpoint. Show TRUE temperatures.
    1c - Expose the heat demand parameter via the API too.
    1d - An ability to tweak the various internal parameters / variables to to with optimisation, etc.
    2 - Make the three degree change in Eco mode configurable, either + or -. So it could be used for a whole-house boost as well.
    3 - Expose the boiler cycle and minimum on time parameters in S and Y plan mode (i.e. when there's no boiler relay present)
    4 - Multiple configurable schedules. Accept that, for example, summer and winter months need different setpoints to maintain comfort. Allow users to switch between them.
    4a - Which of course needs a much better schedule control interface. Maybe even via a dedicated app.
    5 - With the apps, don't just replicate what's available on the controller - try to extend the functionality, and make use of the more flexible GUI available.
    6 - A web interface, with graphing. It's amazing how much info you can glean from Evohome graphs. I've completely re-vamped my scheduled temps because of the patterns I've seen.
    7 - A way to see (and graph in the web interface) ALL of the devices assigned to a zone, both temperature sensors and actuators. Not just the one temperature sensor used for zone control.
    8 - More that one custom Quick Action, and with more flexibility.
    9 - The ability to set zones so that they don't fire the boiler when there's a heat demand (making it easier to use other heat sources).
    10 - Less 'oh, it's magic', and 'wait two minutes' etc. Be more open about how things work, algorithms used, etc., and any engineering limitations.

OK, that's a start! But I do realise it's probably a 'power user' request list.

Although none of these would be useful for more "set and forget" users, I feel that the learnings that would come from giving 'people like us' such facilities would feed back things which would enhance the product for non-power users. And like I said in my first point, all of the extra stuff can be hidden within an expert mode.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 26th April 2016 at 12:31 PM.