What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Christo View Post
    Another point:

The HR92UK thermostat knob goes the wrong way. I have just installed my first HR92UK, as well as my first HR92, to go with a load of HR80UK and a few HR80 units which appeared on ebay.
    Am inclined to agree. It always frustrates me that when I got to turn up a stat I immediately and instinctively turn it clockwise and then realise I am going the wrong way. Surely it is normal to turn something clockwise to increase?

Comment

• Christo
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2014

No propagation of measured temp across a zone: slave units instead

This is a UI consistency glitch I think, but when HR92/UK units are set to display measured temperature, they actually seem to display the temperature of the master unit, not the temperature of the actual unit. While this is not much of an issue where the units are in the same room, when a zone is spread across multiple rooms, it is downright weird to display a completely false temperature in a room.

Maybe I have misunderstood how the system works, but I assumed that the master sensor was only for display on the controller, while each HR92 would still use locally measured temperature for valve operation and heat demand.

But either way, I think this is one more example of the need for master/slave units for absolute clarity of UI and operation.

The slave units would simply display the name of the zone, with no temperature, would use a common setpoint but would measure temperature locally and be able to call for heat independently. They would be smaller and have no knob.

I have now worked around the false temperature display issue... by dusting off my v.1 Evohome, and splitting one of my zones into 5 individually controlled rads. As I have not bound the v.1 controller to the BDR91, the 4x HR80 units attached to it do not demand heat, which suits me very well, as these are very low-priority areas such as hall, landings, cloakroom. I think using separate controllers addresses the issue others have raised about setting zones or HR92s to not demand heat. It should still be possible with separate v.2 or v.3 controllers, one of which is bound to BDR91, the other is not, but both are available to the App.

The v.1 controller has been tidied out of sight, and will probably need configuring very infrequently indeed. Even if we are away.

Now very pleased with my setup, and having fixed a prior problem with HW switching on CH thanks to Richard's excellent instructions, I will experiment with moving the BDR91s a little closer together to tidy up the installation.

Comment

• Christo
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2014

Day schedule over-ride

Use case scenario: In bed on a Sunday morning planning the day on the iPhone...

We're going to be out all morning, so leave it as it is until 12 when we get back for lunch (let the optimiser work out what time to start), when we want the dining room and kitchen to be a reasonable temperature.

Then out again in the afternoon, so everything off from 3pm, and back at 6pm. Let's heat up the TV room too tonight. We'll all be in bed by 11, so make sure everything is off by then.

Little Johnny is staying with a friend, so switch his room off after lunch.

And all of the above is only valid for the day. Typically these custom days would be only at the weekend, to over-ride the usual schedule. This will allow fine control over energy usage, and be far more efficient & useful than learning systems.

Comment

• morfsta
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2015

Additional fault diagnosis tools would be most helpful, such as being able to see the last update sent from each remote device and the time received.

I also agree with the opinion that there should be an option for overrides on the temperature on the rad valves or remote digital thermostats to be reflected on the controller and mobile app.

Comment

• electronicsuk
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Sep 2015

1) Multiple schedules. The custom quick-set idea is a good start, but not comprehensive enough. There needs to be a way to have 3 or 4 different schedules and switch between them. For example, a summer schedule that only runs the bathroom radiators to dry out towels, a guest profile that heats up the guest bedroom, etc.

2) A function to go back to the last active quick set. This would be very useful with IFTTT. At the moment, the away profile is automatically set when I leave the house, and the schedule resumed on my return. It would be better for the controller to go back to whatever quick-set was in use before I left the house rather than always back to the schedule, as I may well have had the controller set to economy mode, or some other setting. I don't want to have to change the IFTTT action throughout the year to suit whatever quick-set I'm running on the controller at the time.

Comment

• Midori
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Aug 2015

The thing I miss the most after switching from my old Danfoss Time Switch and which my wife keeps asking me "where is user friendly 1 hour button"?

1) a "One Hour" button to turn heating on during those cold summer evenings when just a little warm up is nice to have.
              Assoc IHVE; Matthew Hall Satchwell MW Kellogg CompAir; posts are personal and my own view

Comment

• electronicsuk
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Sep 2015

3) Modify 'away' mode so that if the schedule temperature for a room is lower than the away temperature, the schedule temperature takes precedence. Without this feature, rooms with a particularly low setpoint in the schedule will actually be warmer in away mode than they would have been had they stuck with the schedule, which seems rather wasteful!

Comment

• Pbrain
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Feb 2016

Resurrecting this thread.
                  Would like to know what improvements have been made, if any, since the start of this thread. Also, who is listening?

A lot of the wishes I have read are possible with my evohome/smartthings integration (for example, the ability to see which zone is calling for heat, and the ability to cancel all overrides with a single command)

My wish list:
                  Ability to see more than 4 zines on idle screen
                  Greater resolution for temperature (0.1degrees, not 0.5degrees)
                  Cheaper room stats
                  Ability to set modes (eg away mode) to end at a time, not just a day.
                  Ability to save schedules/more than one custom schedule
                  A boost mode, (with configurable #degrees boost)

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Pbrain View Post
                    Resurrecting this thread.
                    Would like to know what improvements have been made, if any, since the start of this thread. Also, who is listening?

A lot of the wishes I have read are possible with my evohome/smartthings integration (for example, the ability to see which zone is calling for heat, and the ability to cancel all overrides with a single command)

My wish list:
                    1. Ability to see more than 4 zines on idle screen
                    2. Greater resolution for temperature (0.1degrees, not 0.5degrees)
                    3. Cheaper room stats
                    4. Ability to set modes (eg away mode) to end at a time, not just a day.
                    5. Ability to save schedules/more than one custom schedule
                    6. A boost mode, (with configurable #degrees boost)
                    Honeywell is listening but that doesn't mean all ideas will make it through.

Haven't seen the Smartthings integration year so cannot comment on that.

I have added numbers to your points above so I can reply

1. Not likely
                    2. Not likely
                    3. Do you mean cheaper than DTS92E?
                    4. Nice idea
                    5. Unlikely
                    6. This is possible on individual zones already, or do you have somethings else in mind?
                    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• rh63
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Dec 2015

Using Evohome now for 2 months with 2 underfloor heating zones and 7 HR92 radiators, boilercontrol is Opentherm. Below my list with things I would like to see in a future release of the Evohome software:
                      1. Configurable time-out for the underfloor thermal motors. I takes 2 minutes for them to fully open which causes the boiler to go into a wait cycle during the short heating bursts that evohome uses to maintain temperature.
                      2. Adaptive heating doesn't work with underfloor heating. A raise of 1 degree can take hours but Evohome doesn't start up cause the setpoint is no more than 1 degree higher than the room-temp. It also causes the room with underfloor heating to reach it's setpoint far to late. Without adaptive heating the underfloor rooms maintain and reach setpoint. If the combination of adaptive heating and underfloor isn't doable than make it possible to only use it on the HR92's. It works great on the HR92 equipped radiators.
                      3. Show which zones request heat. It makes troubleshooting and tuning so much easier.
                      4. Range extender. Houses are made of concrete and steel and moving evohome around isn't always an option. A range extender should not be a hard thing to do for Honeywell.
                      5. I second the wish for cheaper thermostats. Honeywell might think that 65 euros is cheap but evohome is a very expensive solution already. I'm using the underfloor controller, thermal motors, HR92's and 2 DTS92's and a wifi controller and I went far above 1000,- euros. A thermostat around 25,- would also be a better option than using the HR92's for temperature readings.

And last but not least, Evohome is the best heating control I ever had, I'm sure I would buy it again.

Comment

• chrisgare
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Dec 2013

Simple: An indicator on the controller as to which zone is currently demanding heat. A dot on the zone display is all that is required. Chris

Comment

• Cchris
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Nov 2015

Indicator on the screen when boiler is firing (both on the "sleep" screen and the menu proper after you have woken it.

Range extender

Different icon to denote manual override (at present it uses the same stopwatch icon as a timed override)

Range extender

Option to override via the app from a certain time, (add a "from" option on the app alongside the "until") e.g the heating in a zone isn't due on until 5pm but I realise at 1pm that I want it to be on a bit earlier, say 4pm. I don't want to turn it on now, and I don't want the faff of altering the schedule and remembering to alter it back later.

Did I mention range extender?

Comment

• Pbrain
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                            Honeywell is listening but that doesn't mean all ideas will make it through.

Haven't seen the Smartthings integration year so cannot comment on that.

I have added numbers to your points above so I can reply

1. Not likely
                            2. Not likely
                            3. Do you mean cheaper than DTS92E?
                            4. Nice idea
                            5. Unlikely
                            6. This is possible on individual zones already, or do you have somethings else in mind?
                            1. Needs to be done!
                            2. Could live without
                            3. Yes
                            4. Thanks!
                            5. Need this or similar, or at least #6 below. Just gives you that extra bit of flexibility.
                            6. I don't wanna have to keep fiddling with multiple zones. I want a one click option. I'll revise this wish actually: I used to have a programmable thermostat (Owl Intuition) that allowed you to jump,to the next heating period. Thus, if I wake up an hour earlier, I can bring forward my schedule instantly. If I go to bed early, I can turn everything down ( by jumping to the overnight bit of my schedule) instantly. A feature I'm really missing.

Comment

• spectral
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Feb 2016

I would love a normal browser interface to setup schedules and see some graphs.
                              I used another e-thermostat for a while with just one zone and the interface was pretty good:

Comment

• Mickjohn
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Mar 2015

1: Show which HR92 is calling for heat
                                2: Connect locally to controller via app ( ie bluetooth to controller web interface without need for internet)
                                3: app for graphing zone temperatures

Many thanks

Mick

Comment

Working...
                                X