What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killa47
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I removed the TRVs on my towel rails. I like the fact that I have hot water circulating through my towel rails whenever there is heat demand, anywhere in the house. It's the only thing that keeps the towels dry and avoids the smell that comes with keeping damp towels hanging for too long. All the rest of my radiators have TRVs and the HRxx TRV controllers. So the towel rails can never request for heat but get heated whenever another zone does. This configuration works fine for me.
    Absolutely so. If Evohome enabled multiple BDR91s, your configuration would still be valid and work. I would still prefer the system to have the capability for two or more BDR91s for my configuration.

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      Or does it always just activate ALL heating zone valves together no matter which HR92 is calling for heat ? If so, what is the advantage of this over using a single BDR91 heating zone valve relay connected to multiple zone valves ?
      yes this is how it works, no advantage if co-located
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by killa47 View Post
        Absolutely so. If Evohome enabled multiple BDR91s, your configuration would still be valid and work. I would still prefer the system to have the capability for two or more BDR91s for my configuration.
        can you please share a drawing of your configuration, I don't see any advantage in what you're asking but if you can show me I might understand?
        I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Ro-
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2016

Here is my wish list:

1) above all, what I really want is an Ebus interface similar to the OpenTherm one. My boiler is a GlowWorm and uses eBus instead of OT.
          2) multiple custom zones - this should be an easy software change
          3) ability to have stored hot water heating whenever another zone/rad is calling for heat rather than having to explicitly programmed the hot water zone

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Wouldn't number 3 mean that you'd never have hot water in the summer?

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

I'm not sure I see the point of 3 either - heating hot water still requires additional energy from the boiler equal to the amount of heat that goes into the cylinder regardless of whether the boiler is "already hot".

The only benefit of heating hot water at the same time the central heating is already on is that the heat losses from the boiler itself while it is hot are amortised across both central heating and hot water heating rather than applying on two separate occasions, but the effect of this would be quite small in practice I think.
              Last edited by DBMandrake; 19 November 2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Ro-
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Nov 2016

I would have thought it more efficient to heat the stored water when rads were being heated rather than the boiler coming on again only for water?

In terms of the summer, I'd definitely want to be able to heat water only.

My main interest however is finding a way to modulate the GlowWorm boiler from Evohome.
                Last edited by Ro-; 19 November 2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• HenGus
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by Ro- View Post
                  I would have thought it more efficient to heat the stored water when rads were being heated rather than the boiler coming on again only for water?
                  Surely, for a condensing boiler the key factor is boiler output temperature. As explained to me, hot water is normally afforded priority and the boiler temperature is cranked up to give a short burst of cylinder heating. For the rest of the time, the boiler temperature is modulated down to achieve the required CH output at max boiler efficiency.
                  Last edited by HenGus; 19 November 2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• g6ejd
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Oct 2016

New topic:
                    My other-half says why on the HR92's does she have to turn them anti-clockwise to turn them up when on every system (volume control, thermostats, etc.), anti-clockwise turns things down! Other than me saying they were designed by engineers to probably match and mimic a TRV, to which she says, but their not standard TRV's they're electronic devices, I don't have an answer for her... In later designs this ergonomic aspect should be considered as I think most of us find the direction counterintuitive, when it could have easily be changed over in software.

It's a bit like my Audi, to go up the MMI infotainment system menu I have to turn the dial anti-clockwise and vice-versa for down, I get it wrong every time I use it, must be a German thing

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

Same with everything. The idrive in my beemer goes the wrong way. The ring on my Amazon Echo turns the wrong way. And of course, every USB plug ever fits the other way up.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

A TRV is a valve like a tap. Which way do you turn a water tap to turn it on, clockwise or anti-clockwise ? I reckon that right hand threaded taps predate things like volume controls by several centuries...

But I'm sure the reason is simply to mimic a conventional TRV. If it was opposite to a conventional TRV I think you'd get more people complaining than the way it is now. They could have made the direction a configuration option of course.
                        Last edited by DBMandrake; 19 November 2016, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Arrghh!
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by g6ejd View Post
                          New topic:
                          My other-half says why on the HR92's does she have to turn them anti-clockwise to turn them up when on every system (volume control, thermostats, etc.), anti-clockwise turns things down! Other than me saying they were designed by engineers to probably match and mimic a TRV, to which she says, but their not standard TRV's they're electronic devices, I don't have an answer for her... In later designs this ergonomic aspect should be considered as I think most of us find the direction counterintuitive, when it could have easily be changed over in software.
                          I agree. Very strange decision I think.

Comment

• g6ejd
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                            Same with everything. The idrive in my beemer goes the wrong way. The ring on my Amazon Echo turns the wrong way. And of course, every USB plug ever fits the other way up.
                            Yes, I've forgotten about that idiosyncrasy on the 320d (and that was only last year), although it was the best car I've had, but gadget wise it was a bit basic compared to the Audi (but sort of confirms it's a Germanic thing ), that said I think I might go back to it next year and yes, what is it about the USB plug that I always get it the wrong way round

Comment

• Little Tinker
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Nov 2016

I already sent this to the Honeywell contact point, but no reply.

A) Dual relay box compatible with standard / legacy backplate. This will allow two relay outputs to easily be taken to a wiring centre and hence easy to medium effort to wire in to existing or new components. Doesn't allow for low voltage use of relay contacts, but I think that's reasonably rare and that situation can always be handled by single relay box.

B) Configuration of zone as time based (ie simple on / off times rather than active management). Particularly for leaving HW on legacy local stat rather than with wireless sensor and relay, but with out if home remote override. Would play particularly nicely with item A for easy retro fit.

Comment

• Little Tinker
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by g6ejd View Post
                                New topic:

It's a bit like my Audi, to go up the MMI infotainment system menu I have to turn the dial anti-clockwise and vice-versa for down, I get it wrong every time I use it, must be a German thing
                                It could be another software config item to choose which way you want it to work. I find the way it works confusing as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X