What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evohome User
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by DIY2 View Post
    Hi, I modified 3 units. One for each bedroom. All have worked perfectly for the last 5 months. Batteries are still going strong. One is noisier than the rest but it was even noisier than the others to begin with and is about a third of the noise it was, so happy enough with it. The other two I barely notice even when I'm awake which a BIG difference. Cheers
    I am going to try this this week but wanted to know more about the diodes, which are the ones you recommend by Zener?
    Do you have any more photos of the actual joint - I can’t get my head around how you’ve paired the diodes together in parallel.

Thanks again!

Comment

• FullBore
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2016

I frequently change the target temperature in one or more zones, it would be great to do this "in advance".

By this I mean setting the time when the new target temperature will start, as well as the time when the override will end.

It seems rather simple - could it be done PLEASE.

FB

Comment

• gordonb3
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by FullBore View Post
        I frequently change the target temperature in one or more zones, it would be great to do this "in advance".

By this I mean setting the time when the new target temperature will start, as well as the time when the override will end.

It seems rather simple - could it be done PLEASE.

FB
        Evohome is supported by various home automation projects that should all allow you to set such schedules. For Domoticz I created a command line companion app (here: https://github.com/gordonb3/dzEvo) that also accepts a duration parameter rather than a fixed `until` time.

Comment

• FullBore
          Automated Home Guru
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
          Evohome is supported by various home automation projects that should all allow you to set such schedules. For Domoticz I created a command line companion app (here: https://github.com/gordonb3/dzEvo) that also accepts a duration parameter rather than a fixed `until` time.
          gordonb3 - Many thanks, that would certainly fit the bill.

However at 78 years of age, living by myself, and with no IT support, sadly struggling with 3rd party add-ons is beyond me.

Thanks again

FB

Comment

• AlexM2020
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by DIY2 View Post
            Like others I have noisy HR92s that I cant have in the bedrooms so I have done a quick hack that so far has solved the problem for me without any problems, so thought I would share it.

The bad news is you need a soldering iron (but it’s an easy job).

However do this at your own risk –and it will definitely invalidate any HR92 warranty.

The design flaw is that the motors/gears turn unnecessarily fast and generate the noise. I have purchased alternatives from China and might give them a go at some point but in the meantime put in a hack that works for me.

To slow the motors and reduce the noise I reduced the voltage to them - crudely using 2x 1N4001 diodes. (Zeners would be slightly better but I had these already and they worked fine). Note I have not done any voltage or current measurements to refine the diode selection – might do at some point.

NOTE: in slowing the motors, the motor power will decrease, so if you have hard to operate valve pins this might not work –ie not enough power to operate them and the HR92 will show error E2. If this happens you could try different diodes with less voltage drop than the 1N4001, but less voltage drop equals faster motor equals more noise.

This took me 15mins but may take up to half an hour of faffing first time. Lots of text for completeness but it’s a pretty easy DIY job.

You will need:
            1. Soldering iron
            2. 2x Diodes -I used 1N4001 (12pk on ebay for £1)
            3. Insulation sleeve – again cheap on ebay
            4. Small jewellers type of screwdriver

Steps:
            1. Remove HR92 Cap and batteries
            2. Remove plastic insert by removing the screw and using the small (jewellers) screwdriver bend the 3 retaining tabs GENTLY IN TURN while exerting slight lifting pressure on the insert (fingers in the battery compartment). Be careful not to over bend them or they will break, bend just enough so that they release in turn as you lift the insert gently. This sounds difficult but is actually easy if you take your time and be gentle.

You will now see the motor.

3. Unsolder the Red motor wire (doesn’t actually matter which one). Note the wire insulation is cheap stuff so melts easily, so don’t be too crude – you can re insulate with a sleeve if you melt it a bit.
            4. Take the two diodes and twist their legs to attach them in parallel together pointing in different directions, ie with the stripe on them at different ends – see picture (if you don’t you will get an E2 error from the HR92 as motor will only turn in 1 direction)
            5. Solder one end of the diode legs to the Red wire and the other to the motor. Use an insulation sleeve to avoid the diode legs shorting to the motor metal cover (and to cover any melted insulation on the Red wire). I don’t recommend using insulation tape – but hey it’s your HR92. Note: Its important to mount the diodes neatly – flat to the back of the motor and in a place that the plastic insert wont foul when you put it back on – I suggest place in the picture.
            6. Refit plastic insert – you may need to bend out one of the tabs again gently. Don’t force it down –if it doesn’t seat right its probably fouling on the diodes, so don’t force it and re-mount the diodes.
            7. Refit the insert screw, add the batteries and cap.
            Your ready to try it.
            Note if you do this to a spare HR92 and want to fit it to an existing zone –then follow the unbind procedure otherwise you will get a Comms fault on your controller – I just deleted the zone and added it again and hit bind on the modified HR92 to be sure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1443[/ATTACH]
            Hi

I just wanted to say thanks for the diode suggestion. Saved me a few hours of testing.
            The motor runs at 2.6 and 2.8 volts in either direction with no diodes, the part number printed on the side is RF-300EH-08750, BD647731 D/V 13.0. Just in case someone else needs it as it's a pain to take that bit out.

I've done the diode mod and will also be packing the gearbox with silicone grease and the open voids in the body with some packed cotton wool, just for good measure. It's already a lot quieter with just the 0.6v drop from one diode pair. Having taken one of these completely apart its clear that there has been little action to reduce noise at the design/manufacture stage. There is a lot of space inside the valve body that resonates any vibrations and a simple speed reduction on the motor solves a most of the issue. I might even try a second diode pair in line although I'm guessing there are some drive time limits in the firmware that may become a problem if it is too slow. The gearing to the final drive is huge so I doubt torque will be an issue.

Comment

• Me-again
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2020

I would like to see

1. Being able to switch to Fahrenheit for the temperature displays

2. More switching points per zone

3 Being able to select no idle screen so i can see all of my zones (6) all of the time, or allow the idle screen to show more zones

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Me-again View Post
                3 Being able to select no idle screen so i can see all of my zones (6) all of the time, or allow the idle screen to show more zones
                Already possible, I've always had the idle screen disabled on mine.

Go to Settings -> Device Settings -> Idle Screen, and set it to the right most option - Off.

Comment

• MrBoy
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by Me-again View Post
                  I would like to see

1. Being able to switch to Fahrenheit for the temperature displays

2. More switching points per zone

You can't work in F?! Surely they sell their kit in the USA...
                  How many switching points are allowed?

I would really like the limit on zones increased. Even by a couple, though 16 would be ideal.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by MrBoy View Post
                    You can't work in F?! Surely they sell their kit in the USA...
                    As far as I know Evohome is an EU/UK product only.
                    How many switching points are allowed?
                    Six per day per zone. I do find myself hitting that limit if I try to get "clever" with my schedules.
                    I would really like the limit on zones increased. Even by a couple, though 16 would be ideal.
                    People have been asking for this for years but it's unlikely to be forthcoming. In other words don't hold your breath.
                    Last edited by DBMandrake; 16 November 2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• MrBoy
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • May 2017

I can see running into 6 points a day although when you consider it takes time for the temperature to change perhaps we're trying too hard

Even if they said 12 zones per controller, but let you link controllers, would be cool. Otherwise you have to have two controller panels which is workable but kind of clunky.

Is Honeywell still selling/developing Evohome, or have they dumped it in favour of something new?

Comment

• gordonb3
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                        As far as I know Evohome is an EU/UK product only.
                        You are probably right there. Interesting though is that the `old` API does in fact appear to support different units for temperature devices, but status reports show Evohome zones as `EMEA_ZONE` (EMEA is a common abbreviation for Europe, Middle East and Asia). The revised Evohome only API does not contain any such field, so possibly they once considered launching a US version (different frequency band maybe?) and then gave up on it.

Six per day per zone. I do find myself hitting that limit if I try to get "clever" with my schedules.
                        I rarely touch the schedules. Whenever I like to change something, which usually happens to be for at most a few days, I use an external clock to set temporary overrides.

People have been asking for this for years but it's unlikely to be forthcoming. In other words don't hold your breath.
                        I'm not actually sure what kind of home you'd need to have to create more than 12 zones. If you'd like this type of system for something like a B&B I'm sure there will be more business oriented systems, with a somewhat different price tag attached to it of course.

Comment

• Me-again
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Oct 2020

DbMandrake, thanks i have looked for that idle screen option you mention but never seen it, i will take another look today.

MrBoy, i sadly found there were only 6 switching points per zone, 3 on and 3 off. had to drop one of the previous settings to fit the new one in . I was even more saddened to find i couldnt switch to Fahrenheit as I had the same impression as you that honeywell were mostly a US company so that temperature scale would be an option.

Comment

• MrBoy
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • May 2017

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
                            I'm not actually sure what kind of home you'd need to have to create more than 12 zones. If you'd like this type of system for something like a B&B I'm sure there will be more business oriented systems, with a somewhat different price tag attached to it of course.
                            My home could do with a 13th even 14th, potentially 15.

4 main rooms downstairs, then the kitchen and a conservatory are both extensions. 6.
                            Similarly 4 bedrooms, and the main bathroom above the kitchen. Up to 11.
                            Our loft was fully converted years back. One main room has heating, so that's 12.

It's a large house but hardly crazy.

Now we have the hallway and the upstairs landing bit. Those are on regular TRVs so they are on whenever anything else which is generally fine but in a perfect world that would be a zone, so 13.

Our main bedroom has an ensuite, we've tied this into the same zone as the bedroom which again is OK but if we could, we'd have it separate. 14.

Our downstairs loo/utility/laundry room would ideally be a zone. 15

I see our house as absolutely perfect for Evohome, it's what it was made for!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

You can use two controller, both controlling the same boiler and valve devices. Or audit your house and look for zones that all follow the same schedule - use multi room zones for that. Or large zones that don't need to be broken into multiple zones and use multiple actuators with a single sensor.
                              Another trick to use, with the ensuite example is use it in the same zone but play with the offset, to keep them at slightly different temperatures.
                              I only know of the Hometronic that had more zones.
                              Last edited by bruce_miranda; 16 November 2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• MrBoy
                                Automated Home Guru
                                • May 2017

Yeah I'm aware of these things. The 2nd controller might work but then I wonder if you can link 2 systems into the app, IFTTT/Google and so on.
                                As it stands we are right on the limit - one more room and it might be worth figuring out but it works alright.

It just seems quite an arbitrary limit, unless they want to avoid competing with their own pro-level system.

Comment

Working...
                                X