Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
    * A web interface. The "MyTotalConnectComfort" site is virtually useless and has no functionality. It would be great to be able to program the schedules for my home on a large PC screen in the comfort of my study, rather than having to squint at the Evohome screen or my phone.
    Agreed - a web interface for "big" programming sessions would be nice. As would being able to display two different zones or two different days side by side to make it easier to compare schedules. Some sort of backup and restore functionality and/or profiles seems like a no-brainer. The fact there is no web interface at all seems a big omission, especially when the competition have it.
    * Add the BDR91 relay status onto the Evohome display. The only way to tell whether a zone is active is to go and look at the BDR91 relay to see if the green light is on. There are times when the Evohome system is being clever and giving short bursts of heat to a zone as it is near its setpoint, so it is not obvious from knowing the current zone temperature and the set point whether the zone is in active heating . It would be nice to be able to see this from the Evohome controller or from my phone, without having to camp in my boiler room to watch the green lights on the relay boxes.
    I think we all obsess over whether the boiler relay is on or off when the system is first installed but eventually come to trust it and let it do its thing. However some sort of per-zone heat demand indicator would be very reassuring and also make possible troubleshooting of unexplained boiler firings which at the moment is close to impossible.
    * Add the DHW to the idle screen, just as if it were another zone. I have to touch the Evohome controller every time I pass it to take it out of idle mode to see the temperature of my hot water, whereas I can see the zone temperatures in the idle mode.
    Personally I just turned off the "screensaver" so that the screen still dims a bit but just shows the main home screen - I like this because I can walk past and catch a glance of the controller including hot water temperature without touching it. I don't find the screen saver mode (with the circle in the middle) particularly useful.
    * Enable the Evohome controller to auto-reconnect to a WiFi router, just as mobile phones do. I have a large house over three floors with separate WiFi access points on each floor. I have two wall mounts for the Evohome controller, one on the ground floor and one on the top floor. I have to manually reconnect the controller to the appropriate WiFi access point each time I move the controller, and key in the access code each time. Can the controller please remember a few access points and codes and simply connect to the one with the strongest signal?
    It does auto-reconnect to wifi, it just won't save more than one wifi network, which is what I think you mean. I have to ask though - why do you have different SSID's in different parts of the house ?

You're better off configuring the same SSID and passphrase on all your different routers, (they can and should be on different channels though) that way all devices including the Evohome will automatically find the nearest AP broadcasting your house wide SSID and connect to it. When the same SSID is available from multiple routers it will also give smoother roaming on devices as they move around the house than you will get when you have multiple different SSID's bring broadcast and saved on the client devices.

This is because a client connected to one SSID will try to "hang on" to it until the signal is too weak to maintain a connection, even though another SSID may be much stronger. However when the SSID's are the same, when the signal starts getting a bit weak it will actively search for other AP's broadcasting the same SSID before the connection to the first one is lost and switch as soon as the alternative has a stronger signal and in a much more seamless way.

Automated Home Jr Member

Some great ideas in here that I agree with.

Given that as standard Evohome doesn't monitor whether you're in or out etc like Hive et all (which I'm ok with), it would be nice have an easy option for turning the heating off or at least down for a set number of hours and then having it continue with the schedule. Something like:

'Leave the house' > How long for? > User inputs 4hrs > System reduces temps in all configured zones to minimum temp

Unlike the full blown 'off option', this would at least mean heating would continue in preparation for your arrival (if you were accurate with your time away).

Automated Home Guru

Many thanks for that helpful reply DBM. You are absolutely correct in interpreting my home network setup. At the risk of dragging this thread wildly off-topic, I should explain that, for historic reasons, I have a different SSID for every access point (and for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands). I do recognise the problem you describe of my phone clinging onto a ground floor access point SSID when I go up to the top floor and I have to prod the phone to connect to a second floor SSID. So, now that my children are grown up and I have no excuse for trying to be smart about access to the network (or monitoring it), I shall take your advice and reconfigure all APs to the same SSID. If you have a good URL link that you could share to help me with setting the channels to avoid conflicts that would be much appreciated. **End of off-topic chat!** Back to Evohome.....

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    it would be nice have an easy option for turning the heating off or at least down for a set number of hours and then having it continue with the schedule.
    You can do that with Economy Mode. Turns everything down 3 degrees (although loads of us wish that was configurable) for a specified number of hours.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Many thanks for that helpful reply DBM. You are absolutely correct in interpreting my home network setup. At the risk of dragging this thread wildly off-topic, I should explain that, for historic reasons, I have a different SSID for every access point (and for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands). I do recognise the problem you describe of my phone clinging onto a ground floor access point SSID when I go up to the top floor and I have to prod the phone to connect to a second floor SSID. So, now that my children are grown up and I have no excuse for trying to be smart about access to the network (or monitoring it), I shall take your advice and reconfigure all APs to the same SSID. If you have a good URL link that you could share to help me with setting the channels to avoid conflicts that would be much appreciated. **End of off-topic chat!** Back to Evohome.....
    I fear that we are all going to have to wait until the next iteration of Evohome before we see any fundamental change. Unlike its competitors, Honeywell is not minded to roll out improvements to the Evohome firmware. I may be wrong but nearly 3 years - and two controllers - on, I think that we have had one minor upgrade. FWiW, I have all my wifi repeaters on the same SSID.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    You can do that with Economy Mode. Turns everything down 3 degrees (although loads of us wish that was configurable) for a specified number of hours.

P.
    Ah, I should have looked into that more thoroughly. Thanks for pointing that out!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

(To @hengus) If, as some of us suspect, the Evohome controller is built on this platform, Honeywell is probably wise not to play around with it too much. I don't know what version of Windows CE it uses, but I suspect it's getting quite long in the tooth.

P.

Automated Home Guru

just continuing the off-topic

I've got different SSID around the house because I found that devices were not always smart about finding the strongest signal from the nearest AP. Devices would occasionally connect to AP that were some distance away meaning they'd get poor connectivity and dropouts. I've now got different SSIDs on every floor plus another SSID that every AP broadcasts on - for roaming devices such as phones. It's was a pain to configure but all connectivity problems now solved.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    (To @hengus) If, as some of us suspect, the Evohome controller is built on this platform, Honeywell is probably wise not to play around with it too much. I don't know what version of Windows CE it uses, but I suspect it's getting quite long in the tooth.

P.
    Thanks Paul - I was aware of that from previous discussions. My point was that some much-needed improvements are unlikely to see the light of day until Evotouch v4 is released. I have got used to Evohome and its idiosyncrasies; that said, after the pages written recently about HR92 noise, I am now more aware than I was about whirring HR92s!!

Automated Home Sr Member

So, now that my children are grown up and I have no excuse for trying to be smart about access to the network (or monitoring it), I shall take your advice and reconfigure all APs to the same SSID. If you have a good URL link that you could share to help me with setting the channels to avoid conflicts that would be much appreciated. **End of off-topic chat!** Back to Evohome.....
    If you need to see what channels are operating within your access point/router range - I use InSSIDer on Windows [XP/7/8/10 etc]. Tells you which channels in use for your house and others surrounding you. Normally to avoid conflicts, you would use the best strength signal (which InSSIDer will display) on channels 1, 6 or 11. Trial and error.

Other members might have other views but InSSIDer is free and quite informative if neighbours are using datacomm kit with conflicting channels to your own.
    PS. There may be an app equivalent for Apple/Android mobiles but I have not checked.
    Last edited by killa47; 21st December 2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo