What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tempted
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
    You can do that with Economy Mode. Turns everything down 3 degrees (although loads of us wish that was configurable) for a specified number of hours.

P.
    Ah, I should have looked into that more thoroughly. Thanks for pointing that out!

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

(To @hengus) If, as some of us suspect, the Evohome controller is built on this platform, Honeywell is probably wise not to play around with it too much. I don't know what version of Windows CE it uses, but I suspect it's getting quite long in the tooth.

P.

Comment

• orange
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
        Many thanks for that helpful reply DBM. You are absolutely correct in interpreting my home network setup. At the risk of dragging this thread wildly off-topic, I should explain that, for historic reasons, I have a different SSID for every access point (and for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands). I do recognise the problem you describe of my phone clinging onto a ground floor access point SSID when I go up to the top floor and I have to prod the phone to connect to a second floor SSID. So, now that my children are grown up and I have no excuse for trying to be smart about access to the network (or monitoring it), I shall take your advice and reconfigure all APs to the same SSID. If you have a good URL link that you could share to help me with setting the channels to avoid conflicts that would be much appreciated. **End of off-topic chat!** Back to Evohome.....
        just continuing the off-topic

I've got different SSID around the house because I found that devices were not always smart about finding the strongest signal from the nearest AP. Devices would occasionally connect to AP that were some distance away meaning they'd get poor connectivity and dropouts. I've now got different SSIDs on every floor plus another SSID that every AP broadcasts on - for roaming devices such as phones. It's was a pain to configure but all connectivity problems now solved.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

(To @hengus) If, as some of us suspect, the Evohome controller is built on this platform, Honeywell is probably wise not to play around with it too much. I don't know what version of Windows CE it uses, but I suspect it's getting quite long in the tooth.

P.
          Thanks Paul - I was aware of that from previous discussions. My point was that some much-needed improvements are unlikely to see the light of day until Evotouch v4 is released. I have got used to Evohome and its idiosyncrasies; that said, after the pages written recently about HR92 noise, I am now more aware than I was about whirring HR92s!!

Comment

• killa47
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
            So, now that my children are grown up and I have no excuse for trying to be smart about access to the network (or monitoring it), I shall take your advice and reconfigure all APs to the same SSID. If you have a good URL link that you could share to help me with setting the channels to avoid conflicts that would be much appreciated. **End of off-topic chat!** Back to Evohome.....
            If you need to see what channels are operating within your access point/router range - I use InSSIDer on Windows [XP/7/8/10 etc]. Tells you which channels in use for your house and others surrounding you. Normally to avoid conflicts, you would use the best strength signal (which InSSIDer will display) on channels 1, 6 or 11. Trial and error.

Other members might have other views but InSSIDer is free and quite informative if neighbours are using datacomm kit with conflicting channels to your own.
            PS. There may be an app equivalent for Apple/Android mobiles but I have not checked.
            Last edited by killa47; 21 December 2016, 12:38 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Tempted
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Aug 2016

You can do that with Economy Mode. Turns everything down 3 degrees (although loads of us wish that was configurable) for a specified number of hours.

P.
              Don't believe that to be true. I tried this last night and found that it would turn all zones down by 3 degrees until the next set point change. This doesn't really satisfy my suggestion, as the set points are more than likely not before you get home (or even if they are, it's a faff to change them for one outing).

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Long press on the Economy Mode button to configure the hours.

It does actually explain this on the Quick Actions screen,although it's easy to miss.

Comment

• Tempted
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Aug 2016

Long press on the Economy Mode button to configure the hours.

It does actually explain this on the Quick Actions screen,although it's easy to miss.
                  Fair play. I'll give this a go tonight.

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by killa47 View Post
                    If you need to see what channels are operating within your access point/router range - I use InSSIDer on Windows [XP/7/8/10 etc]. Tells you which channels in use for your house and others surrounding you.
                    Thanks Killa47. I have downloaded InSSIDer. Very helpful.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

We haven't had an entry on the wishlist for some time, so I thought I'd pipe up!

I'd like to see Smart Actions able to be applied on a per-zone basis. i.e. to be able to set my Bedroom to Economy Mode, while leaving the rest of the house as-is. Or even better, rather than quick actions, apply a temperature offset on a per zone basis.

Why? Well, as I start to connect Evohome with other devices via the API and integrations, I'd like to be able to do things like "If bedroom window is open then lower the bedroom setpoint by 5 degrees". Open Window mode in the HR92s is pretty useless in my experience, and although I can write scripts to lower a setpoint by 5 degrees (that's easy) it gets overwritten at the next scheduled temperature change.

I think the main use for this would be in automation, so I don't even think it would need to be exposed on the controller GUI (probably the main stumbling point with requests like this). Only in the API.

Comment

• g6ejd
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Oct 2016

Yes a good idea and reflects what a modern /inform user wants to do.

I'm in my 8-month of Evohome installation and usage and with the holiday season coming I've been trying to turn off the heating, easy I'll switch it off from the quick functions but to my surprise DHW continues to operate, so unless I'm missing the obvious I'd like a means of turning off everything HTG and DHW. I'll need to turn off the boiler when we go away unless there is a command to do this.

Comment

• Rameses
                          Industry Expert
                          • Nov 2014

Away quick action does this. (with frost protection)
                          getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

You'll notice the Off QA is actually called "HEATING OFF". There's a clue there!

Big red switch is what you need for everything off.

Comment

• g6ejd
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Oct 2016

Ah yes but to me Heating off is not the same as DHW off as nearly every system has separate controls for HTG and DHW. I'll try 'away' ironically the only one I have not tried as it says temperatures are turned down to 15C but no mention of DHW but it transpires it does, therefore there are gaps in the User Guide and I think Honeywell should augment the user guide accordingly.

Comment

• HenGus
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by g6ejd View Post
                                Ah yes but to me Heating off is not the same as DHW off as nearly every system has separate controls for HTG and DHW. I'll try 'away' ironically the only one I have not tried as it says temperatures are turned down to 15C but no mention of DHW but it transpires it does, therefore there are gaps in the User Guide and I think Honeywell should augment the user guide accordingly.
                                I'll accept that it is not intuitive but I do not see the above as an issue. Heating OFF is what it says it is, and DHW is an alternative part of the control system which I turn off, when required, by making a permanent change to OFF. There are always gaps in User Guides because the people writing them understand the system and are blind to any potential issues. Furthermore, most blokes never read manuals as we see it as a weakness to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X