What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g6ejd
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2016

As a new feature, I'd like to see a Quick-Action added that is the reverse of the Eco Option that turns up all zones temperatures by some programmable amount, maybe 1 or 2°C as default, it's not always about turning off or saving energy, sometimes additional comfort levels are required. There is space left on the screen to do this.

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by g6ejd View Post
      As a new feature, I'd like to see a Quick-Action added that is the reverse of the Eco Option that turns up all zones temperatures by some programmable amount, maybe 1 or 2°C as default, it's not always about turning off or saving energy, sometimes additional comfort levels are required. There is space left on the screen to do this.
      Or just provide a variable offset (which can go positive) for the existing Eco function.

Comment

• freddyq
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2016

1. Geo-fencing to control all zones or specific zones based on location.

2. Weather integration by zone. So that it could be possible to configure zones so that they turn on earlier than scheduled if it is particularly cold outside and turn off sooner than scheduled if the outside temp is warmer than a certain temp.

3. Quicker method of turning zones on to a pre-defined target temp and then cancelling that override.

4. Ability to use the controller while it's disconnected from the mains power for more than 20 seconds!

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by freddyq View Post
          1. Geo-fencing to control all zones or specific zones based on location.

2. Weather integration by zone. So that it could be possible to configure zones so that they turn on earlier than scheduled if it is particularly cold outside and turn off sooner than scheduled if the outside temp is warmer than a certain temp.

3. Quicker method of turning zones on to a pre-defined target temp and then cancelling that override.

4. Ability to use the controller while it's disconnected from the mains power for more than 20 seconds!
          Item 2 already works for me. I thought that it was called optimisation. Most certainly, I heard the CH come on earlier today than yesterday and all zones were up to their target temperature on time.

Item 4. I have had the controller off its power supply for over 3 hours without any issues. I suspect that you have a battery charging issue. See threads on this.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by freddyq View Post
            Not sure that I see the point of this - at the end of the day the job of the system is to maintain a comfortable set temperature when scheduled, regardless of what the temperature is outside. Optimal Start will already come on earlier on a day where it is colder outside because the temperature of the room will have fallen lower while the heating was off than it would on a warmer day, and likewise it will adapt to the rate of heat gain and heat loss from the room as the seasons change.

So who cares if it knows what the temperature outside is, as long as it meets the targets you set. Trying to map outside temperatures to needed inside temperatures is a tricky business anyway as every room and every building has different heat loss characteristics, which is why weather compensation can only do so much - every room would have to have the correct "slope" configured for it to do anything useful.
            Amen! I've asked for that already in my big long wish list. 30 taps on the screen to turn a single zone down from 20 to 5 degrees is rather ridiculous. I don't know about anyone else but I only use 7 different temperatures across all zones in my schedule, (5, 12, 16, 18, 20, 21, 23) so a configurable "quick list" of favourite temperatures that can be accessed by one or two button presses would be fantastic. Likewise it should be possible to apply a temperature override simultaneously to multiple zones, for example if I want to turn up 4 zones to 20 degrees that are currently at 5 degrees, I shouldn't have to do them one by one, 30 presses per zone... this is not the 1980's...
            Good luck with that.

The hardware design is what it is, it's a relatively old processor running Windows CE, a largish touch screen and has multiple radios all running from two AA NiMH batteries. You can't work miracles from that and I'm surprised they manage 6 hours from it. (3 before it starts complaining, 6 before it dies) Only a complete hardware redesign would make any significant change.

However say the battery life were doubled or quadrupled - what purpose would that serve ? At the end of the day it is the central control unit of your entire heating system, not some remote control, and it must remain powered or your heating stops working... so whether it runs out in 6 hours or 12 hours or 24 hours makes no real difference - leave it lost behind the sofa and your heating will stop working eventually.

It really is a mains operated device that is able to be temporarily removed from its dock to make the binding and programming process easier (take it with you around the house as you bind devices) but other than that it's meant to stay on the dock. If it was just a remote touch screen interface and the real brains of the system was a box in the boiler closet that was permanently powered then I would agree with you.
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 29 November 2016, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• killa47
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2016

Honeywell End of Term Report [Status update on fixes/upgrades/improvements]

I know that this forum is brilliantly served by its various members, in particular the following [in no particular order]: DBMandrake, paulockenden, Hengus and many others who unstintingly contribute in helping members resolve issues and questions. I'm sure everyone appreciates the time those contributing members put in on this forum.

However, it would be really helpful if Honeywell (or perhaps the members who work for or have connections with Honeywell [Rameses, Top Brake or others] could indicate in summary what changes are in progress or have been scheduled for implementation in respect of the many suggestions for improvements and rectifications to the Evohome system.

Otherwise, it seems to me, many of the really useful suggestions and ideas being proffered are falling on deaf ears.

So I ask Honeywell (or respected representatives on this site) to let us know what changes are scheduled in the pipeline (so to speak).
              Last edited by killa47; 15 December 2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Rameses
                Industry Expert
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by killa47 View Post
                Honeywell End of Term Report [Status update on fixes/upgrades/improvements]

I know that this forum is brilliantly served by its various members, in particular the following [in no particular order]: DBMandrake, paulockenden, Hengus and many others who unstintingly contribute in helping members resolve issues and questions. I'm sure everyone appreciates the time those contributing members put in on this forum.

However, it would be really helpful if Honeywell (or perhaps the members who work for or have connections with Honeywell [Rameses, Top Brake or others] could indicate in summary what changes are in progress or have been scheduled for implementation in respect of the many suggestions for improvements and rectifications to the Evohome system.

Otherwise, it seems to me, many of the really useful suggestions and ideas being proffered are falling on deaf ears.

So I ask Honeywell (or respected representatives on this site) to let us know what changes are scheduled in the pipeline (so to speak).
                I am sorry but this would not be possible. We will always try to drive value to our customers. The feedback you have given may benefit this product or future products, but we cannot disclose publicly our roadmap for many reasons. Nothing said in this forum has fallen on deaf ears, recognizing it as a valuable and a 'to be cherished' form of engagement. The Honeywell posters interact of our own accord and will continue to do so and help where possible, because we love it just as much as you.
                I can say that there is a development roadmap, and that more partner integrations are to come. The evohome/T6/Single Zone product you have today, will/could be a different experience to what you have in the future. We feel honoured that many have taken to implementing our products into their connected home - hence I am keen you all know the above.
                getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• killa47
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                  I am sorry but this would not be possible. We will always try to drive value to our customers. The feedback you have given may benefit this product or future products, but we cannot disclose publicly our roadmap for many reasons. Nothing said in this forum has fallen on deaf ears, recognizing it as a valuable and a 'to be cherished' form of engagement. The Honeywell posters interact of our own accord and will continue to do so and help where possible, because we love it just as much as you.
                  I can say that there is a development roadmap, and that more partner integrations are to come. The evohome/T6/Single Zone product you have today, will/could be a different experience to what you have in the future. We feel honoured that many have taken to implementing our products into their connected home - hence I am keen you all know the above.
                  Thank you for your comprehensive response. Could I just ask - when posters suggest specific improvements or report bugs - Is there a formal mechanism in place for Honeywell to be passed this information? Something along the lines of a bug/enhancement feedback system. I ask this because both you and Top Brake contribute on a personal basis (if I am understand correctly) for which I and other members, I'm sure, are most grateful.

Shouldn't there be a formal feedback system for Evohome users. Otherwise how do we get to know that improvement/bug notifications will make it back to Honeywell?
                  Last edited by killa47; 15 December 2016, 05:09 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

• Rameses
                    Industry Expert
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by killa47 View Post
                    Thank you for your comprehensive response. Could I just ask - when posters suggest specific improvements or report bugs - Is there a formal mechanism in place for Honeywell to be passed this information? Something along the lines of a bug/enhancement feedback system. I ask this because both you and Top Brake contribute on a personal basis (if I am understand correctly) for which I and other members, I'm sure, are most grateful.

Shouldn't there be a formal feedback system for Evohome users. Otherwise how do we get to know that improvement/bug notifications will make it back to Honeywell?
                    Mmm good point. Bugs (real & service impacting ones) are squashed pretty quick as they get recorded at customer support level with calls etc. Minor bugs are harder. 99% of reported minor bugs are down to user issues/system misconfig /just plain uninformed opinion or lack of insight.

We monitor this forum and pickup on things. But I believe you are right - there should be a 'locker' to submit observations etc. Let me pass back. Standby
                    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Dec 2016

I am a new Evohome user and getting to grips with the system. I am rapidly becoming a fan and I am finding the functionality excellent. This forum is brilliant and I can see some really constructive suggestions are being made. With apologies for being a newbie I would like to add my own suggestions for future enhancements of the Evohome system that could make it even more appealing and competitive. My own list includes:

* A web interface. The "MyTotalConnectComfort" site is virtually useless and has no functionality. It would be great to be able to program the schedules for my home on a large PC screen in the comfort of my study, rather than having to squint at the Evohome screen or my phone.

* Add the BDR91 relay status onto the Evohome display. The only way to tell whether a zone is active is to go and look at the BDR91 relay to see if the green light is on. There are times when the Evohome system is being clever and giving short bursts of heat to a zone as it is near its setpoint, so it is not obvious from knowing the current zone temperature and the set point whether the zone is in active heating . It would be nice to be able to see this from the Evohome controller or from my phone, without having to camp in my boiler room to watch the green lights on the relay boxes.

* Add the DHW to the idle screen, just as if it were another zone. I have to touch the Evohome controller every time I pass it to take it out of idle mode to see the temperature of my hot water, whereas I can see the zone temperatures in the idle mode.

* Enable the Evohome controller to auto-reconnect to a WiFi router, just as mobile phones do. I have a large house over three floors with separate WiFi access points on each floor. I have two wall mounts for the Evohome controller, one on the ground floor and one on the top floor. I have to manually reconnect the controller to the appropriate WiFi access point each time I move the controller, and key in the access code each time. Can the controller please remember a few access points and codes and simply connect to the one with the strongest signal?

* In the same vein, offer slave Evohome controllers, so that I could have one controller resident in each of my docking stations. One controller would have to remain the master, but the slave controller could look and feel like the master and operate by WiFi using the same functionality as the app.

* Enable 'Backup & Restore' functionality, ideally with a download in a CSV or other format that could be used for editing on a PC. I have spent some time creating the schedules for each of the floors in my house, and the hot water. I created a spreadsheet to plan out each day and each half hour and that spreadsheet is now my master copy of my schedule. If I want to change the schedule, say for a summer season, it would be good not to have manually to rekey the winter schedule back in again. A 'Restore' function could enable me to upload the saved winter schedule. (This would be another good piece of functionality on a revamped website, enabling this to be done from a PC through MyTotalConnectComfort.)

I'm sure I will find other niggles that could improve the functionality but I repeat that I am a happy customer and generally regard the Evohome system as a good purchase with which I am happy. Well done and thanks Honeywell.
                      Last edited by Edinburgh2000; 19 December 2016, 06:32 PM. Reason: Typos corrected

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
                        * A web interface. The "MyTotalConnectComfort" site is virtually useless and has no functionality. It would be great to be able to program the schedules for my home on a large PC screen in the comfort of my study, rather than having to squint at the Evohome screen or my phone.
                        Agreed - a web interface for "big" programming sessions would be nice. As would being able to display two different zones or two different days side by side to make it easier to compare schedules. Some sort of backup and restore functionality and/or profiles seems like a no-brainer. The fact there is no web interface at all seems a big omission, especially when the competition have it.
                        * Add the BDR91 relay status onto the Evohome display. The only way to tell whether a zone is active is to go and look at the BDR91 relay to see if the green light is on. There are times when the Evohome system is being clever and giving short bursts of heat to a zone as it is near its setpoint, so it is not obvious from knowing the current zone temperature and the set point whether the zone is in active heating . It would be nice to be able to see this from the Evohome controller or from my phone, without having to camp in my boiler room to watch the green lights on the relay boxes.
                        I think we all obsess over whether the boiler relay is on or off when the system is first installed but eventually come to trust it and let it do its thing. However some sort of per-zone heat demand indicator would be very reassuring and also make possible troubleshooting of unexplained boiler firings which at the moment is close to impossible.
                        * Add the DHW to the idle screen, just as if it were another zone. I have to touch the Evohome controller every time I pass it to take it out of idle mode to see the temperature of my hot water, whereas I can see the zone temperatures in the idle mode.
                        Personally I just turned off the "screensaver" so that the screen still dims a bit but just shows the main home screen - I like this because I can walk past and catch a glance of the controller including hot water temperature without touching it. I don't find the screen saver mode (with the circle in the middle) particularly useful.
                        * Enable the Evohome controller to auto-reconnect to a WiFi router, just as mobile phones do. I have a large house over three floors with separate WiFi access points on each floor. I have two wall mounts for the Evohome controller, one on the ground floor and one on the top floor. I have to manually reconnect the controller to the appropriate WiFi access point each time I move the controller, and key in the access code each time. Can the controller please remember a few access points and codes and simply connect to the one with the strongest signal?
                        It does auto-reconnect to wifi, it just won't save more than one wifi network, which is what I think you mean. I have to ask though - why do you have different SSID's in different parts of the house ?

You're better off configuring the same SSID and passphrase on all your different routers, (they can and should be on different channels though) that way all devices including the Evohome will automatically find the nearest AP broadcasting your house wide SSID and connect to it. When the same SSID is available from multiple routers it will also give smoother roaming on devices as they move around the house than you will get when you have multiple different SSID's bring broadcast and saved on the client devices.

This is because a client connected to one SSID will try to "hang on" to it until the signal is too weak to maintain a connection, even though another SSID may be much stronger. However when the SSID's are the same, when the signal starts getting a bit weak it will actively search for other AP's broadcasting the same SSID before the connection to the first one is lost and switch as soon as the alternative has a stronger signal and in a much more seamless way.

Comment

• Tempted
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Aug 2016

Some great ideas in here that I agree with.

Given that as standard Evohome doesn't monitor whether you're in or out etc like Hive et all (which I'm ok with), it would be nice have an easy option for turning the heating off or at least down for a set number of hours and then having it continue with the schedule. Something like:

'Leave the house' > How long for? > User inputs 4hrs > System reduces temps in all configured zones to minimum temp

Unlike the full blown 'off option', this would at least mean heating would continue in preparation for your arrival (if you were accurate with your time away).

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Dec 2016

Many thanks for that helpful reply DBM. You are absolutely correct in interpreting my home network setup. At the risk of dragging this thread wildly off-topic, I should explain that, for historic reasons, I have a different SSID for every access point (and for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands). I do recognise the problem you describe of my phone clinging onto a ground floor access point SSID when I go up to the top floor and I have to prod the phone to connect to a second floor SSID. So, now that my children are grown up and I have no excuse for trying to be smart about access to the network (or monitoring it), I shall take your advice and reconfigure all APs to the same SSID. If you have a good URL link that you could share to help me with setting the channels to avoid conflicts that would be much appreciated. **End of off-topic chat!** Back to Evohome.....

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
                              it would be nice have an easy option for turning the heating off or at least down for a set number of hours and then having it continue with the schedule.
                              You can do that with Economy Mode. Turns everything down 3 degrees (although loads of us wish that was configurable) for a specified number of hours.

P.

Comment

• HenGus
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
                                Many thanks for that helpful reply DBM. You are absolutely correct in interpreting my home network setup. At the risk of dragging this thread wildly off-topic, I should explain that, for historic reasons, I have a different SSID for every access point (and for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands). I do recognise the problem you describe of my phone clinging onto a ground floor access point SSID when I go up to the top floor and I have to prod the phone to connect to a second floor SSID. So, now that my children are grown up and I have no excuse for trying to be smart about access to the network (or monitoring it), I shall take your advice and reconfigure all APs to the same SSID. If you have a good URL link that you could share to help me with setting the channels to avoid conflicts that would be much appreciated. **End of off-topic chat!** Back to Evohome.....
                                I fear that we are all going to have to wait until the next iteration of Evohome before we see any fundamental change. Unlike its competitors, Honeywell is not minded to roll out improvements to the Evohome firmware. I may be wrong but nearly 3 years - and two controllers - on, I think that we have had one minor upgrade. FWiW, I have all my wifi repeaters on the same SSID.

Comment

Working...
                                X