• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MichaelD
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2006

Upgrading to Evohome and mixing HR80s with HR92s

Thought I should start a thread to share my experience of mixing ancient HR80s with new HR92s in a new Evohome system.

I've moved from having 4 x CM67 room controllers with 8 x HR80s, to now having an Evohome controller, 7 x HR80s and 4 x HR92s.

When I was researching the upgrade, I had seen posts that said the newer HR80s work OK with Evohome, but older ones missed some features such as window open sensing, and intelligent start. There is also some info out there saying that the HR80 can still be used with the 2014 Evohome system so long as it has firmware version 2.03 or later. None of my HR80s are that new, mine are 2.02 or 1.03, so I wasn't optimistic, but thought I'd give them a try. Because in our home, HomeSeer also controls the boiler based on when we arrive home and leave, the intelligent start would have been baffled, so we didn't need that feature, and we don't open windows enough to worry too much about that feature.

After a couple of weeks with the new setup, am pleased to report that everything works perfectly together. The ancient HR80s do exactly what they always did, but now they report the temperature in each room, and they signal to the Evohome controller when their battery is dying. No more need to go round the house every few weeks with a torch to check that the batteries are Ok. Apart from their physical appearance, the HR80s and HR92s seem to work identically. The iPhone app works perfectly, and controls everything as it should. The iPhone app on the iPad is a disappointment, because we have a wall mounted iPad for home control that is landscape oriented, but the Honeywell app is fixed in portrait mode, but if you lean your head 90 degrees left its usable. But that is drifting off the subject a little.

Some of these HR80s must be 5 years old, they can't have much more life left in them, so I expect to replace them with HR92s when they break, but right now I'm £500 ahead and feel no inclination to change until I have to.

If you have an old CM-zone system, I'd strongly recommend you switch to Evohome and keep your HR80s, it really is as good as people say, and having that app in your pocket is a great free feature.
  • gavvet
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2012

Just what I'm considering - did you just buy an Evohome Controller and Gateway or did you upgrade other bits as well? Do you use the HC60ng or did you upgrade it?

Andy

Comment

• Wallyİ
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
      Some of these HR80s must be 5 years old, they can't have much more life left in them.
      Just what is the life expectancy of these HR80s and HR92s..?

Comment

• MichaelD
        Automated Home Guru
        • Mar 2006

I replaced the HC60NG, because I thought I had to, but have since found that it was compatible with the Evohome controller. Fitting the new one is simple, if you turn it upside down the wiring is the same.

So, did beat myself up a bit for replacing something unnecessarily, but there are deals that mean you only pay about £20 for the new box, so not the biggest home automation mistake I've made

Comment

• MichaelD
          Automated Home Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Wallyİ View Post
          Just what is the life expectancy of these HR80s and HR92s..?
          Just looked up the purchase date of my original HR80s, I bought and installed them in Autumn of 2007, two have stopped working, the other six are going fine, I think that's a remarkably good life expectancy

Comment

• Wallyİ
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Jan 2015

At least it's an indication...

Have asked Honeywell on Twitter two days ago...

No reply...

Guess it's another thing they're keeping close to their chest...

Thx for the feedback...

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Glad you are getting along well with a mix of wireless radiator controllers. I have a similar mix at home and they have been happily coexisting for a year. The evohome installation manual covers the binding of both types.
              I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

Working...
              X