Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evohome - lost Internet contact

Automated Home Legend

Now Monday and can confirm the issue is resolved. What caused it is uncertain but resolution was achieved with Honeywell ensuring my account was deleted and then re-creating it at their end. I then added a new Gateway supplied to me. It seems attempts by me to edit, delete or create an account and/or add or remove a Gateway were abortive. The old Gateway I cannot register and it may be it is faulty. However, I am not entirely convinced the fault is or was with the Gateway.

As mentioned above from inception I was using a BT Open Reach modem wired to a TP-Link Archer D9 used as a wired and wireless router. I had no problems until about 14 days or so ago. Latterly I found my iMac which has a hard wire Ethernet connection to the Archer D9 could no longer access the Internet even though it could access anything else in the network. Consequently I have put back my BT HomeHub 5 using it as a router and not as a modem and all is good, the hard wire connection to the iMac is fine. Therefore an issue of some sort with the Archer D9 that I need to resolve. The D9 is far better than the HomeHub for wireless use.

Thus if others have similar issues to me, which in essence was only one way traffic using the app in that I could receive information but could not change anything, then it may be worth double checking your router and Internet connection first.

One issue remains and I will post that in a separate thread. Using my mobile in roaming mode is very hit and miss in making a connection with the server. Impossible when I had the problem, whilst the latter is resolved, the roaming connedtion is largely rarely possible.

I have to say the support from the Honeywell team has been great. Far better than you get with others. Plus these pages are a mine of useful information.

Excellent news! Those sort of problems are so difficult to trace and diagnose.

I am having similar problems, not with my Evohome, but some of my other tech. I have a Q2 internet radio which works perfectly well in terms of playing. I tried to update the stations but computer says no. It doesn't see the radio at all. Also my new Sonos works perfectly well from my phone and ipad apps but trying to connect on my pc is very hit and miss. Just recently I have had a couple of flakey internet connection days so I don't know if I am 'overloading' my internet connection. No issues with speed and son has not complained recently that his Xbox does not connect or drop out).

It is knowing where to start to diagnose. My small bungalow is a labyrinth of homeplugs, Ethernet switches, wireless connections as well as the numerous gateways for everything.

Automated Home Legend

Perhaps you should have bought Musaic! Mine should arrive later this month or early next. Then there will be the Apple Watch for which I have set aside some brass!

I complained about poor access on my iPhone when in roaming mode. Am now sitting in the same chair I was in when I wrote earlier this morning, the same signal strength etc. and this time it went straight in, stayed in for a few seconds and then dropped out again!

Well, because of you I have invested in the Qmote - 'the Water Resistant Internet Remote for Smartphones'. i should get it in May. It was a baaad thing looking at the Kickstarter website!

Automated Home Legend

Not heard of one of those. Not sure I need to remotely operate my smartphone when swimming!

It is supposedly going to be IFTTT compatible so maybe I can operate my Evohome with one touch. ..... tries desperately to justify why I have bought it ..... When I backed it I did think it would be useful in a hotel room when there are no electrical sockets next to the bed to switch the alarm off on my phone.

Automated Home Lurker

I installed my EvoHome system in December 2015. I've been getting the "Communication with the system has been lost" banner on my iPhone and iPad apps regularly, along with emails from mytotalconnectcomfort advising me of the loss of comms. Usually communication is re-established and I get an email confirming this. However, several times it has failed to resync and I have had to fix the problem manually (usually by resetting/rebooting everything I can think of). I thought the problem lay with my Virgin Superhub router, but, having read through this thread, now I'm not so sure. It's somewhat comforting to know that other EvoHome users have similar problems, and that I'm not alone.

Automated Home Legend

In the state where it loses the connection, can you tell us what it says in the wifi page ? Has it lost the wifi connection completely ? Or does it still have a wifi connection but no internet connection ?

If by Superhub you mean you have the original 1st generation Superhub (VMDG480) with the purple Virgin logo in a lit up circle, then they were widely known for having atrociously unreliable wifi. A common problem used to be that at random it would no longer let devices connect until rebooted.

The 2nd generation (all black) Superhub with dual band wifi is much more reliable, I have had no problems with my Evotouch connecting to this.

If you do still have the original one I would see if you can talk Virgin into replacing it with the new model.

Automated Home Lurker

I have the new Virgin Hub - with dual band wifi. We just got home after being away for the weekend, during which I could not get access to my system. I checked the wifi page on the EvoHome controller. It appeared to have a wifi connection but it said "Connecting to Internet". I lifted the controller from its charging cradle and carried it from the hall into the lounge. After a minute or so, the message changed to "Connected", and my iPhone app was immediately able to talk to the system again. I'm now wondering if the controller has to be located closer to the Superhub. Where it sits in the hall is about 15 feet from the Superhub and there is one brick wall in between. I have noticed that, if I disconnect the controller from the hub, and try to reconnect, it takes a surprisingly long time to connect, even if the two devices are within a few feet of each other. I'll locate the controller in the lounge, close to the hub, and see if the situation improves.

Automated Home Jr Member

Try this -Remote cable tester checks cable before & after installation
    DESCRIPTION
    - Displays network type and speed
    - For Testing RJ45 cables and installations
    - 1 x Remote unit + 25 Numbered RJ45 Remote ID Modules
    - Max. cable length 6000ft (1.8 km) for all connections
    - Terminator Loop Back Test and Cable Measurement
    - Tests Continuity, Assignment, Pairing and Shielding
    - 2 digit display shows the selected unit ID