X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Connectivity through the App is completely separate to the normal function of the Evohome controller.
    The heating will continue to operate to schedule if you lose connectivity.
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

My problem is I think resolved. Honeywell reset my account. It still took a few attempts to register the gateway but eventually in it went and two way communication in the app is back. Honeywell have been very helpful but at the back of mind is that it is/was not a Honeywell issue but something my end. My starting point for that is it works fine for most others! What it is I don't know. It may be my router yet nothing has changed and all worked well until a couple of weeks ago when I was reduced to one way communication. Perhaps someone in the forum may have similar gear to me and know whether there is some setting in the router that ought to be effected.

I have BT Infinity. The line comes into an Open Reach modem. That then feeds a TP-Link Archer D9 wireless router. It can be used as a modem but not I understand with infinity. The feed from the modem goes to the WAN port on the D9. The remaining LAN ports are used to connect to the Honeywell Gateway, and a couple of other things. All works well, wireless is fine whether at 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

One other thing that has happened but only in the last couple of days is my desktop (an iMac) used to connect fine by direct cable to a LAN port on the router but now it won't but does if I use wireless. I have found if I remove the modem cable from the router then the iMac connects to it via cable as I can configure it ok if need be. This latest issue is only in the last couple of days and post dates the issue with the Honeywell Gateway but I can't help wondering that there is a connection between the two issues. It started to happen after I reset the router to factory defaults a couple of days ago when having the Gateway issues thinking that I should try everything.

So if anyone knows their routers I'd be delighted if they could point me in the right direction.

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
        My problem is I think resolved. Honeywell reset my account. It still took a few attempts to register the gateway but eventually in it went and two way communication in the app is back. Honeywell have been very helpful but at the back of mind is that it is/was not a Honeywell issue but something my end. My starting point for that is it works fine for most others! What it is I don't know. It may be my router yet nothing has changed and all worked well until a couple of weeks ago when I was reduced to one way communication. Perhaps someone in the forum may have similar gear to me and know whether there is some setting in the router that ought to be effected.

I have BT Infinity. The line comes into an Open Reach modem. That then feeds a TP-Link Archer D9 wireless router. It can be used as a modem but not I understand with infinity. The feed from the modem goes to the WAN port on the D9. The remaining LAN ports are used to connect to the Honeywell Gateway, and a couple of other things. All works well, wireless is fine whether at 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

One other thing that has happened but only in the last couple of days is my desktop (an iMac) used to connect fine by direct cable to a LAN port on the router but now it won't but does if I use wireless. I have found if I remove the modem cable from the router then the iMac connects to it via cable as I can configure it ok if need be. This latest issue is only in the last couple of days and post dates the issue with the Honeywell Gateway but I can't help wondering that there is a connection between the two issues. It started to happen after I reset the router to factory defaults a couple of days ago when having the Gateway issues thinking that I should try everything.

So if anyone knows their routers I'd be delighted if they could point me in the right direction.
        Bt infinity has been known to cause problems with smart devices as the IP address is not fixed.
        This shouldn't cause you a problem with the RFG100 as it is very tolerant and not dependant on having a fixed IP address.
        Worthwhile contacting BT and asking for the latest hub, and turn off the BTopenreach/wifi access -you may find a neighbour is using your broadband!

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

No chance of my neighbour accessing my wireless. The Open Reach modem is not a wireless one but is cabled to the router. The latter is passworded. Mind you I can access one of my neighbours' connections, must tell him! What I might try is to connect my BT Homehub 5 direct to the telephone line (disconnecting the Open Reach Modem), switch off WiFi on the BT Homehub and see if I can connect that to the TP-Link Archer D9 to use it as a wireless router only.

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
            No chance of my neighbour accessing my wireless. The Open Reach modem is not a wireless one but is cabled to the router. The latter is passworded. Mind you I can access one of my neighbours' connections, must tell him! What I might try is to connect my BT Homehub 5 direct to the telephone line (disconnecting the Open Reach Modem), switch off WiFi on the BT Homehub and see if I can connect that to the TP-Link Archer D9 to use it as a wireless router only.
            You need to keep the White box as far as I understand it, well we do anyway as we have the BT Vision tv...

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Now Monday and can confirm the issue is resolved. What caused it is uncertain but resolution was achieved with Honeywell ensuring my account was deleted and then re-creating it at their end. I then added a new Gateway supplied to me. It seems attempts by me to edit, delete or create an account and/or add or remove a Gateway were abortive. The old Gateway I cannot register and it may be it is faulty. However, I am not entirely convinced the fault is or was with the Gateway.

As mentioned above from inception I was using a BT Open Reach modem wired to a TP-Link Archer D9 used as a wired and wireless router. I had no problems until about 14 days or so ago. Latterly I found my iMac which has a hard wire Ethernet connection to the Archer D9 could no longer access the Internet even though it could access anything else in the network. Consequently I have put back my BT HomeHub 5 using it as a router and not as a modem and all is good, the hard wire connection to the iMac is fine. Therefore an issue of some sort with the Archer D9 that I need to resolve. The D9 is far better than the HomeHub for wireless use.

Thus if others have similar issues to me, which in essence was only one way traffic using the app in that I could receive information but could not change anything, then it may be worth double checking your router and Internet connection first.

One issue remains and I will post that in a separate thread. Using my mobile in roaming mode is very hit and miss in making a connection with the server. Impossible when I had the problem, whilst the latter is resolved, the roaming connedtion is largely rarely possible.

I have to say the support from the Honeywell team has been great. Far better than you get with others. Plus these pages are a mine of useful information.

Comment

• Mavis
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Oct 2014

Excellent news! Those sort of problems are so difficult to trace and diagnose.

I am having similar problems, not with my Evohome, but some of my other tech. I have a Q2 internet radio which works perfectly well in terms of playing. I tried to update the stations but computer says no. It doesn't see the radio at all. Also my new Sonos works perfectly well from my phone and ipad apps but trying to connect on my pc is very hit and miss. Just recently I have had a couple of flakey internet connection days so I don't know if I am 'overloading' my internet connection. No issues with speed and son has not complained recently that his Xbox does not connect or drop out).

It is knowing where to start to diagnose. My small bungalow is a labyrinth of homeplugs, Ethernet switches, wireless connections as well as the numerous gateways for everything.

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

Perhaps you should have bought Musaic! Mine should arrive later this month or early next. Then there will be the Apple Watch for which I have set aside some brass!

I complained about poor access on my iPhone when in roaming mode. Am now sitting in the same chair I was in when I wrote earlier this morning, the same signal strength etc. and this time it went straight in, stayed in for a few seconds and then dropped out again!

Comment

• Mavis
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Oct 2014

Well, because of you I have invested in the Qmote - 'the Water Resistant Internet Remote for Smartphones'. i should get it in May. It was a baaad thing looking at the Kickstarter website!

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Not heard of one of those. Not sure I need to remotely operate my smartphone when swimming!

Comment

• Mavis
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Oct 2014

It is supposedly going to be IFTTT compatible so maybe I can operate my Evohome with one touch. ..... tries desperately to justify why I have bought it ..... When I backed it I did think it would be useful in a hotel room when there are no electrical sockets next to the bed to switch the alarm off on my phone.

Comment

• GrahamLivey
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Mar 2016

I installed my EvoHome system in December 2015. I've been getting the "Communication with the system has been lost" banner on my iPhone and iPad apps regularly, along with emails from mytotalconnectcomfort advising me of the loss of comms. Usually communication is re-established and I get an email confirming this. However, several times it has failed to resync and I have had to fix the problem manually (usually by resetting/rebooting everything I can think of). I thought the problem lay with my Virgin Superhub router, but, having read through this thread, now I'm not so sure. It's somewhat comforting to know that other EvoHome users have similar problems, and that I'm not alone.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Sep 2014

In the state where it loses the connection, can you tell us what it says in the wifi page ? Has it lost the wifi connection completely ? Or does it still have a wifi connection but no internet connection ?

If by Superhub you mean you have the original 1st generation Superhub (VMDG480) with the purple Virgin logo in a lit up circle, then they were widely known for having atrociously unreliable wifi. A common problem used to be that at random it would no longer let devices connect until rebooted.

The 2nd generation (all black) Superhub with dual band wifi is much more reliable, I have had no problems with my Evotouch connecting to this.

If you do still have the original one I would see if you can talk Virgin into replacing it with the new model.

Comment

• GrahamLivey
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Mar 2016

I have the new Virgin Hub - with dual band wifi. We just got home after being away for the weekend, during which I could not get access to my system. I checked the wifi page on the EvoHome controller. It appeared to have a wifi connection but it said "Connecting to Internet". I lifted the controller from its charging cradle and carried it from the hall into the lounge. After a minute or so, the message changed to "Connected", and my iPhone app was immediately able to talk to the system again. I'm now wondering if the controller has to be located closer to the Superhub. Where it sits in the hall is about 15 feet from the Superhub and there is one brick wall in between. I have noticed that, if I disconnect the controller from the hub, and try to reconnect, it takes a surprisingly long time to connect, even if the two devices are within a few feet of each other. I'll locate the controller in the lounge, close to the hub, and see if the situation improves.

Comment

• alexstephenson
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • May 2017

Try this -Remote cable tester checks cable before & after installation
                                DESCRIPTION
                                - Displays network type and speed
                                - For Testing RJ45 cables and installations
                                - 1 x Remote unit + 25 Numbered RJ45 Remote ID Modules
                                - Max. cable length 6000ft (1.8 km) for all connections
                                - Terminator Loop Back Test and Cable Measurement
                                - Tests Continuity, Assignment, Pairing and Shielding
                                - 2 digit display shows the selected unit ID

Comment

Working...
                                X