• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • courcirc8
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2014

Which Evohome firmware do you have?

After hours on fightings related to evohome bugs, I found a very interesting note on the Domoticz site:

"You should be able to check the firmware version by doing a quick tap on 'settings' on the evohome main screen followed by a long tap (arround 20s) on 'device settings'. The system should then display an info screen with the device id and application software version followed by a date etc."

Mine is V25 from 16 janv 2014 and here is a brief description of the bugs I found:
    - Renaming a zone in the installation menu corrupts the database
    - Deleting a zone corrupts the database.
    - Activating the temperature compensations make erroneous readings (HR92 uses their own temp sensor, no more evo's unit even if activated)
    - Activating optimisation overrides the 2nd time temperature by the first time temp.

From what I could read on this forum, people does not have the same problems as me, so:
    What is you firmware version?
    Thanks for your reply!
    Eric
    Last edited by courcirc8; 2 February 2015, 12:44 AM.
  • orange
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2014

not at home at the moment but I think there is only that original firmware - no updates (not sure where I read that).

It could be that your settings are corrupt so my advice would be to do a full reset of the system and start again.

Comment

• Wallyİ
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2015

Even so...A smart system should easily be 'updatable'... Honeywell prides itself with this state of the art system yet the firmware is quite 'medieval'...

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

My version is the same - 25 Jan 16 2014. Also shows "Bootloader Software Version 6.0 Aug 27 2013.

Yet something else that should be in the manual.

Comment

• Rameses
          Industry Expert
          • Nov 2014

Dear All

For security reasons I wont go into detail. But the main firmware on the evohome controller does not change (or need to change). The firmware on the router does change to provide enhancements/fixes etc.
          getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Wallyİ
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Jan 2015

Ok...so now all of a sudden it's all hush hush...AFAICS the gateway only affects existing settings... Not the actual running software...Or are users without the gateway left to their own devices..?

Comment

• HenGus
              Automated Home Legend
              • May 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
              Dear All

For security reasons I wont go into detail. But the main firmware on the evohome controller does not change (or need to change). The firmware on the router does change to provide enhancements/fixes etc.
              If that's the Company line then so be it. Somewhat surprising given that the rest of my connected World spends a chunk of its life updating its firmware online to improve the GUI, connectivity with new hardware, bug elimination etc. even my 20 year watch came back after a major service with a note saying that the chip had been uploaded with new firmware.

Comment

• Wallyİ
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Jan 2015

Completely agree !!! FCOL !!! I can upgrade my BT headset in two minutes using my pc and a tool provided by the manufacturer...not letting users upgrade their device or at least give them a choice is imho very disrespectful and lacks vision on the part of Honeywell...

Comment

• courcirc8
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2014

Dear All

Well... so does it mean that the bugs doesn't need to be corrected? I'm a little bit confused, do you call "router" the internet gateway ? (which is "just" a gateway for IoT)
                  Thx
                  Eric

Comment

• davidaj
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2015

Dear All

With this revelation, I can see how this could lead to the router being a "screen-less" controller, and you use the mobile app or IFTTT to control new features. In this case, the controller would be left to rot if it is not updateable, or we have to buy a new version of the controller to get any new features.

This is similar to what happened with Sonos music system, which has its own bulky controller (with a couple of incarnations, just like the evohome controller has), but then the mobile/tablet app took over for most, since the app was dynamically updateable to add new features. Anyone with the original controller ended up with an expensive paperweight, or at least one with much less functionality. People today just buy an iPod Touch and use that as their in-house Sonos controller, if they did not want to rely on their main mobile phone for this control.

Assuming the controller is the only device which can communicate with valves, relays etc, then this would need to remain in the system. However, I see no reason why the router cannot be capable of transmitting the commands to the other components, in which case you could do away with the controller entirely, just as Sonos allows. Obviously Honeywell make a fair packet from selling the controller units, so is not necessarily in their interest to ditch that item, but at the risk of annoying its customers by informing them it cannot be upgraded...

Comment

• davidaj
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2015

To clarify, by "router" I mean the Mobile Access Kit RFG100, and I assume that is what others are referring to here when using terms "router" and "internet gateway" etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X