Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Default Remote Desktop

we're running Windows 8.1 Pro now, on the 24/7 Cortex PC, and trying to work (editing, reviewing, etc) from our laptop (MacBookPro) but can't make it work - we downloaded the relevant extensions from MS Windows Store & Apple AppStore, but from either end the attempt to Connect always fails ... various postings here infer others are doing this already, so - is there perhaps an obvious trick we might be missing ?
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 9th February 2015 at 07:38 PM.

Try Log me in. Its not free any more but is a lot less hassle than trying to get remote desktop on windows to work properly. And its handy if you are somewhere other than your home network.
    Another one to try which is free is Avain Waves RD, but I think this is only for Windows based machinery.
    If you want to go the remote desktop route then try this.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    we're running Windows 8.1 Pro now, on the 24/7 Cortex PC, and trying to work (editing, reviewing, etc) from our laptop (MacBookPro) but can't make it work - we downloaded the relevant extensions from MS Windows Store & Apple AppStore, but from either end the attempt to Connect always fails ... various postings here infer others are doing this already, so - is there perhaps an obvious trick we might be missing ?
    Chris,

How have you enabled RDP on the Windows 8.1 machine? If you bring up a command prompt [cmd] then type netstat -an do you see Local Address with port 3389 listening? Have you tried connecting with IP address rather than hostname?

Paul

Automated Home Jr Member

Since you are connecting from a MBP, I assume you are using MacOs which Im not using myself, but happened to stumble upon a solution that might work for you:

've managed to connect to the 8.1 preview build 9431 with my Mac Remote Desktop Connection.
    Here's what I did:
    Make sure the firewall allows the RDP connection (already stated before)
    Open the Management Console (mmc.exe)
    Add the 'Local Computer Policy' snap-in
    Goto:
    - Computer Configuration
    - Administrative Templates
    - Windows Components
    - Remote Desktop Services
    - Remote Desktop Session Host
    - Security
    Change the following two settings from their default (be aware that there might be a reason that MSFT has decided to set them to default. It might be advisable to revise those settings after a new Mac RDP client has been released)
    - 'Require use of specific for remote desktop (RDP) connections' from 'Default' to 'Enabled', then select 'RDP' in the options pane
    - 'Require user authentication for remote connections by using Network Level Authentications' to 'Disabled'
    Restart the 'Remote Desktop Service' or simply restart the computer
    Voila! I can use my Mac RDP client 2.1.1 (110309) with Windows 8.1 build 9431

/Glenn

P.S. I prefer Team Viewer in case I don't want to/cannot use RDP (it's free).
    Last edited by Aristoteles; 10th February 2015 at 04:08 AM.

Paul -

netstat listed nineteen connections as established, but nothing is said to be listening & port 3389 is not mentioned ... tried again a few minutes later, same result but just five connections ...

we’re using Cortex Mobile, from the MBP, so both computers are clearly communicating - but trying to connect via RDP, too, fails, Cortex Mobile on or off ... Remote Desktop is listed in the second page of the Start screen, but not when we go into the Systems Properties dialogue box ... beginning to wonder if it actually is the Pro version of Windows 8.1 we have !

another nightmare, now, though, is that the PC is of a sudden demanding a password on start-up, so Cortex auto-start no longer happens ! We created a MS Windows Store account, to download the Remote Desktop extension, and now, having just restarted the PC (to see if it made a difference, which it didn’t, other than this) it now demands the same password before the PC will get going after Restart ...

WAF rather low at the moment !

Chris

Glen -

thanks - we fell at second hurdle though, because couldn’t find the snap-in ...

did try various others, in case it now has a new name, but no luck ...

Chris

toscal -

many thanks - gave it a go, but falls down a few steps in, because Remote Desktop fails to appear in the Systems Properties dialogue box - and yet it was certainly installed, and is listed in second page of the Windows 8 Start screen ...

Googling into Apple Discussions & MS help areas shows we might not be alone, only we're using latest versions, later than they had problems with, so would expect bugs to have been fixed !

Chris
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 10th February 2015 at 07:05 PM.

hmmm, following Glen's suggestion, we downloaded TeamViewer & gave it a go - it also fails to connect !

odd, because Cortex Mobile works fine, between the same two computers !

tried both ways, with computer name & with 192.168.xx.xx

Chris

PS: OK got TeamViewer working - sure it said it could work when installed at one end only, but then realised that was unlikely !

So, got it onto the 24/7 PC as well and, once also realised that it was the TeamViewer ID rather than the 192.168.xx.xx address we had to enter, all became fine ...

so, many thanks for the suggestion !

To get Windows to login automatically you need to add some registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AutoAdminLogon = 1 Create string value if none exists
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUsername = local user account create string value if none exists
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultPassword = password for user above create string value if none exists

Note, you may not have created a local account by the sounds of it but a Microsoft Online Account. This is probably not what you want in your setup so you could follow the following to create a local account - http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...in-windows-81/

I can't find a one line script to check that Remote Desktop is enabled and that the firewall allows connection but you could double check your config against - http://www.guidingtech.com/13469/how...-in-windows-8/

When you try to connect from your Mac try the IP address rather than hostname

Paul