Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking down random boiler demand with Evohome

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    where is the 'like' button on this forum
    Deffo should be one.

Thumbs up.png

Automated Home Legend

Not able to run my test yet Erik, my wife decided not to go out and she will not be best pleased if I turn all down but will run it when I can. What did seem to happen yesterday after the power was turned off and then back on again was the Hot Water side seemed to want to wait awhile before it could be operated. Not realising my boiler had cut out when power was restored my first thought was to thinking I had lost the binding so reset it again. Then found I could not override the hot water. After a few hours I could. I realised then I had seen this before when I did a complete reset some weeks back and initially thought the binding for hot water had not worked. It had, it just takes a while before it starts responding. What I now know is that a power outage does leaving everything as it should be when power is restored. Don't panic just let it settle down.

Have been a good boy and logged in to the Youlearn site and started my lessons!

Automated Home Guru

no worries, g4rhl. There's no rush.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    the first generation greyscale evohome had an 'Application Manual'

would you find this type of publication useful if it was updated?
    the more the better - but that doesn't really seem to contain much more info than the evohome install manual ?

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    the more the better - but that doesn't really seem to contain much more info than the evohome install manual ?
    Agreed it doesn't.

You say the more the better but perhaps there has to be a balance. If you make a product appear to be too complex it may turn the majority off?

I just took delivery of an iPhone and that didn't cone with a big user guide. You learn by experiencing the product.
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Guru

You don't have to put the big user guide in the box. You would probably put it online somewhere. Only people interested in it would look it up.

Even the iPhone has documented API's, long boring pieces of technical text. But a normal user would never look at them.

Automated Home Sr Member

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyİ View Post
    thanks... i think!
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post

If you would like to do an experiment, try the following. Put all your zones to 5 degrees, or totally off, if possible. Turn 1 zone to 1 degree above current temperature. Then monitor the behavior of the BDR91 relay and the room temperature for a while. When does the BDR91 stop going ON every 10 minutes? When setpoint is reached? Or when setpoint + at least 0.5 has been reached? Also, when does the BDR91 start coming on again?
    Have done the check. Monitoring notes reveal:

1. 09:25 Set all zones to 5C bar one. That read 16c, set it to 17C. Outside temperature 7C
    2. 09:26 all off, reading 16C
    3. 09:27 CH on, reading 16C
    4. 09:28 CH off, reading 16C
    5. 09:32 Valve heard adjusting, CH on reading 16C
    6. 09:36 CH off, pump still on reading 16.5C
    7. 09:38 CH on, reading 16.5 separate thermostat read 17C
    8. 09:42 Valve adjusted, CH off reading 17C, thermostat 17.5C, pump on
    9. 09:50 Still off, reading 17.5C, thermostat 18C
    10. 09:52 CH on reading 17.5C, thermostat 18C
    11. 09:52 (within the minute) CH off , reading 17.5C, thermostat 18C
    12. 09:55 Still off, reading 18C, thermostat 18C
    13. 10:00 Still off reading 18.5C, thermostat 17.5C
    14. 10:00 increased set point to 20.5C
    15. 10:01 CH on reading 19.5C, thermostat 17.5C
    16. 10:03 CH off reading 19.5C, thermostat 17.5C
    17. 10:05 still off reading 19.5C, thermostat 17.5C
    18. 10:07 Valve adjusted self.
    19. 10:10 Checked set point still 20.5
    20. 10:14 Still off reading 20.5, thermostat 17.5
    21. 10:20 Still off, now been 19 minutes since last on, reading 20.5C, set to 20.5, thermostat 17.5C. Checked with two other thermometers one read 17.8C other 18.1C
    22. !0:35 Return of she who must be obeyed, zones reset but at this time the relevant zone read as in 21 above except the thermostat and two other thermometers had all stabilised and reading 18:00 with HR92 reading 21.

I do not get a 10 minute cycle. What I do get is what I would expect and that is the Evohome system monitoring and making minor adjustments to keep the temperature requested.The thermostat I used is Honeywell's new round one. It was placed at the same height and alongside the HR92. The disparity in readings shown in 22 is something I have seen before. What I do not understand is it is not always the case. As I type there is a 3C difference between the HR92 reading 21C and the Honeywell stat reading 21C. The Honeywell stat by the way is not bound in anyway, am just using it currently to monitor the temperature. There was one odd occasion when the CH came on and then went off again within 30 seconds (11 above). Also note the heating did not come on but the temperature was rising. Probably due to the house generally warming it currently being a bright sunny day in the North of England. At present 3 rooms are set to 18C, two are reading 18C, one 17.5C. The CH is off. Clearly 17.5 is not sufficient to fire up the boiler yet I have not seen a temperature drop before that happens, i.e. the system will fire up even though it will still read 17.5C yet it has been off at the temperature. Perhaps there is some additional sensitivity built into the HR92?

Automated Home Guru

First: thanks for your effort.

Your heating in this zone is very fast. From 16 to 18.5 in less than half an hour. Do you have your Evohome set to 12 switches per hour instead of 6? Why else would it go ON at 9:27, 9:32, and 9:38? And you're setting it to 17, but it's over-shooting to at least 18.5. But the 2nd time (setpoint 20.5) it seems to do better.

I dunno if this room might be heating up a little TOO fast to get reliable results