• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blusox69
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

Evohome Valve Adaptor

Hi,

I have had the Evohome controller and hot water controller for some time now and was planning to add a HR92 to each room as money became available. My wife however bought me 4 for my birthday :-)

Unfortunately the Siemens TRVs I have, and thought I'd checked correctly for fitting, turn out to be the "trade" model and as such have an M30x1.0 thread and not the M30x1.5mm thread of the HR92. The EVA1 kit does not fit them either.

Are there adaptors out there to go from M30x1.0 to M30x1.5 so I can screw on the HR92? I really don't want to have to change all the valves in my house :-(
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Siemens TRV's are not compatible full stop. For whatever reason they have gone out of their way to make them as incompatible as possible with other industry standard valves.

Comment

• Blusox69
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2015

so even with a thread adaptor I won't be able to use the HR92? It looks similar to any other TRV, just with a different thread. What makes them so different?

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Blusox69 View Post
        so even with a thread adaptor I won't be able to use the HR92? It looks similar to any other TRV, just with a different thread. What makes them so different?
        thread and pin length incompatible

sorry you will need to change your TRVs
        I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
          Site Sponsor
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
          thread and pin length incompatible

sorry you will need to change your TRVs
          If you look at the V120-15A we sell - http://www.theevohomeshop.co.uk/prod...adiator-valve/ you will see the pin length is significantly longer on the Siemens one.

Sorry, I have had to change many a Siemens valve myself!

Comment

• Blusox69
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Feb 2015

I'm not at home at the moment, but from memory the pin doesn't seem much longer than that.

I was hoping that some of these from your site may work

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
              Site Sponsor
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Blusox69 View Post
              I'm not at home at the moment, but from memory the pin doesn't seem much longer than that.

I was hoping that some of these from your site may work

http://www.theevohomeshop.co.uk/prod...valve-adapter/
              They won't, I've tried all our adapters on them...

Comment

• Rameses
                Industry Expert
                • Nov 2014

I have dm'd you blusox69
                getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• mondeoman
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Feb 2015

Interesting - just a quick question before I drain everything down...

Do the Siemens TRV bodies have a standard 15mm thread to connect to the pipework, as I have a sneaking suspicion that they don't, which means that to change them, you have to cut the pipe as well to get the olive and nut off.

Comment

• sharpener
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by mondeoman View Post
                    Do the Siemens TRV bodies have a standard 15mm thread to connect to the pipework, as I have a sneaking suspicion that they don't, which means that to change them, you have to cut the pipe as well to get the olive and nut off.
                    You can usually get the nut and olive off together by repeatedly tapping the nut with a spanner slid along the pipe. Failing which if you cut the olive carefully with a junior hacksaw blade almost parallel with the axis of the pipe then at least the pipe is still the same length.

But if this is a widespread problem why don't Honeywell (or a third party) make a suitable adaptor? Is it fear of infringing Siemens' design rights?

Comment

• top brake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by mondeoman View Post
                      Interesting - just a quick question before I drain everything down...

its best practice to change the nut and olive, you can get olive pullers to make this easier

bear in mind that if the nut has been graunched down too tight it may have necked the copper pipe and you may have to replace a short section.
                      also some TRV have different dimensions so you may have to modify the pipework anyway...

alternately you could employ the services of a plumber/heating engineer that does this sort of job on a daily basis. there is some skill involved in making a compression joint.

if you have drained down don't forget to add corrosion inhibitors when refilling!

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

Do you need to drain down? Not recently but I have replaced the odd valve in the past without a drain down. Although I suppose if I had all radiators to do then it is probably for the best and as said add some inhibitions to your expansion tank.

Comment

• top brake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                          Do you need to drain down? Not recently but I have replaced the odd valve in the past without a drain down. Although I suppose if I had all radiators to do then it is probably for the best and as said add some inhibitions to your expansion tank.
                          sorry i don't understand how you can change a rad valve without draining the water from the radiator and pipes

Comment

• roydonaldson
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Jan 2013

There are kits on the market that let you do this without a drain down. They stopper the radiator effectively.

Comment

• mondeoman
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Feb 2015

Already drained and flushed it this year, swapped and added rads and changed from 3 way valve to 2 x 2-ports. I've got 5 Siemens TRVs to get shot of, so draining and refilling (with inhibitor) isn't an issue. Nor is taking off the olives and nuts, just wanted to check to make sure I was leaving enough time to do the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X