• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woter324
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2011

Z-Wave solution to add two-way lighting

Hi,

I've tried to answer my own question searching previous posts, but either it doesn't exist, or I need to revise my search terms, so in other words, apologies if my question has been previously covered.

I think I've finally decided to go with Z-Wave rather than C-Bus (Clipsal) HA solution and like most automators, I plan to start small, addressing the most needed areas first; the first area is our hall way - although there are six doors leading into it, unbelievably, there is only one light switch. So my question is, is there a Z-Wave solution that will allow me to install ordinary-looking light switches without having to install the 3-core and earth cable to my additional light switches?

I'm thinking something along the lines of Fibaro dimmers placed behind my retractive / momentary light switches and running a supply to power the dimmer. If I understand the "Mesh Network" one can programme the modules to communicate with each other.

Any pointers / suggestions / tips will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

W.
  • woter324
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2011

Could the "Everspring HAC01 In-wall remote module" be the answer. Or perhaps the "Fibaro Universal Sensor"?

Many thanks

W.

Comment

• boerremk
      • Apr 2014

I use a Fibaro doorsensor, that I removed from its shell and with my normal light switches. You have to drill a hole in your wall like you should do for a normal instllation and place a flush mounted box in to it, then place your doorsensor in the box and wire it to the switch, install the switch and you are ready to go. You will break the warrenty for sure, but it works pretty good!

Comment

• PhilF
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2015

I currently do 2 way lighting using the Fibaro dimmer module which works perfectly. I also have a universal sensor off an alarm PIR that switches this light too.
        If you visit the Vesternet website and look at app note 2 it details how you can fit an increasing number of switches to this secondary input on the Fibaro dimmer to provide you with multiple switches. This does involve mains cabling though so you may not like that option depending upon whether this is a retro fit or not. I think there is a 20m limit detailed too in the manual.
        Depending on your controller you could consider adding an RFXCOM unit and interfacing wireless switches such as lightwave RF ones which would require no wires running at all.

Comment

• woter324
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by PhilF View Post
          If you visit the Vesternet website and look at app note 2 it details how you can fit an increasing number of switches to this secondary input on the Fibaro dimmer to provide you with multiple switches.
          Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for pointing out the document. I don't mind running "power" to the dimmer module, I was just hoping to avoid having to run the 3-core and earth cable.

I have started another thread regarding controller selection and I was hoping to use OpenRemote with the Aeon Z-Stick Series 2. According to this post, it seems that it's possible to connect the RFXcom module with Aeon Z-Stick. I guess the Radxa Rock is similar to a Raspberry Pi - which I could also use as the controller.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X