Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome self install

Automated Home Guru

hi all

just had a call from honeywell - and fair play to them they have found the issue.

it's basically a bug/feature regarding set points. You are not totally free to have your setpoints quite as randomly as you might think. They said they'd post up here later with more details. There's no hardware problem and it's not specific to my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyİ View Post
    Since we're on a wild goose chase here...

Let's do some more hunting...

1. Log-off from the app on your iPhone...
    2. Delete the app (press and hold the icon till it wiggles and press the 'x'...then confirm deletion..)
    3. Power down and reboot your iPhone
    4. Hard reset your iPhone (press and hold home- and power button untill the Apple logo appears...then release both)
    5. Reinstall the app (appstore-->updates-->purchases-->Not on this iPhone (it should be on the list)
    6. Log in with your credentials and hope for the best...

Automated Home Sr Member

Good for you...

A part from doing a rain dance...There was nothing else you could do on your side...

But I'm wondering...

If this is a bug...Where is it..? Is it specifically app-related or controller related...

The app can easily be remedied...

The controller however..?!

Please keep up posted...and thx for the feedback...

Automated Home Guru

nothing I could have done my end. I don't want to post incorrect information and hopefully Honeywell will come on and correct me if I do...but:

there's something 'special' about the time from midnight to 3am (notice how the app treats this differently to the controller - something I reported to Honeywell months ago and was it was acknowledged as a bug - which they said they were going to correct).

Basically the app sees this differently from the controller - so if you have events scheduled in at this time (and no other events?) then the server can't cope with syncing them....so it barfs.

solution seems to be to make sure you add extra events (even if you don't need them) between 3am and midnight. Haven't tested it yet though. This is considered more of a feature than a bug (?) and there is apparently something about it in the installer notes that consumers don't get to see - although I suspect installers don't know either (Richard ?)

Reading between the lines the controller/gateway/TCC doesn't work in quite the way you might imagine and there seem to be multiple limitations in it - as the clear implication was this 'couldn't/wouldn't' be fixed in the controller. You have to bear in mind that Honeywell are a hardware manufacturer and almost certainly (?!) approach the software control side in a totally different manner than a normal software manufacturer would if starting from scratch. Some of the limitations are hardware based.

Despite wasting hours on this and swapping stuff and basically starting from scratch, which was irritating and unnecessary, I'm still impressed that they tracked down the issue as I'd basically given up. So Kudos to them for that.

It does lead me to wonder what other 'features' are hard coded into the system ?

(ps this applies to IOS dunno about windows/android but I suspect it's the same as it's the controller firmware that is screwy)

apologies for any misinformation - I'm just relaying it as I understand it.

Automated Home Sr Member

So there's no real fix...yet...

Just a workaround...

And with all due respect...This expensive piece of hardware NEEDS the proper software to run on...

The rest...in my humble opinion is plain B.S...

Automated Home Guru

So there's no real fix...yet...

Just a workaround...

And with all due respect...This expensive piece of hardware NEEDS the proper software to run on...

The rest...in my humble opinion is plain B.S...
    I can see your point but we have to accept all software driven devices will have bugs - it's a fact of life. Realistically the question is how big are the bugs and are they show stoppers.

My gripe is that this stuff should be documented and distributed to end-users (and their own support staff)
    In this instance they eventually did the right thing. They investigated and found the issue and came up with a workaround.

- quick update is that putting extra switch points in does seem to resolve the issue and now it works as expected.

Automated Home Sr Member

Adding an unnecessary switch point...Doesn't that limit the total amount of free-to-use switch points...therefor losing comfort..?

Automated Home Guru

Adding an unnecessary switch point...Doesn't that limit the total amount of free-to-use switch points...therefor losing comfort..?
    Yes - but it's a fairly edge case scenario so I'm content that I can work around it.

AFAIK this issue only occurs if you have a zone with switch points only between midnight and 3am. Although the problem will then effect all zones in the app.

Also if you don't set schedules from the app then you're unaffected.

Not ideal but workable now I know.

Automated Home Legend

I don't have any switch points between 00:00 and 03:00, but I did add one at dead on 00:00 shortly before I developed similar issues although not entirely the same.

Default Thanks to orange

Orange - thanks for your patience. And taking the time to post up a follow up. It is appreciated. Without your help we could have not identified this limitation.

Firstly just to summarise for anyone reading this the first time. evohome will work locally with whatever schedule you place in the main controller. The issue affect the in-app editing feature only. In app display of temps works fine, as does local override and quick action.

### Symptom ###
    The issue arises with the app when someone wishes to amend the schedule inside the app. Schedules cannot be changed, or are rejected by the server, or an error message is displayed.
    The user has a schedule which does not adhere to the requirements detailed below.

### Resolution ###
    To perform in-app scheduling evohome requires a minimum of

- one set point between 3.01am and 23.59pm
    - minimum of two set points per day (if you need a set point between 00:00 and 3am, the other must adhere to previous rule)

The set points can be the same temp if required.

For example a user with a single setpoint of 5 degrees at 3am would encounter this limitation. You could have 5 degrees at 2am and 5 degrees at 3.30am. This would be deliver the same 'comfort' whilst mitigating the limitation.

### Background ###

The reason for this requirement is because traditional heating controls and 'models' treat a day 3am > 3am (heat overrun, late out etc). Whereas the App treats a day in its pureset time form 00:00 > 23.59.

When there is only one setpoint 00:00</=3am this causes an issue.

This does not affect the performance of the system or jeopardise its stability.

The single zone thermostat is not affected. No future Honeywell products will have this requirement.

There is no firmware upgrade planned to change this.

Thanks again to Orange for his help (and patience)
    Last edited by Rameses; 18th February 2015 at 11:14 PM.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    ### Resolution ###
    To perform in-app scheduling evohome requires a minimum of

- one set point between 3.01am and 23.59pm
    - minimum of two set points per day (if you need a set point between 00:00 and 3am, the other must adhere to previous rule)
    The constraints are fine. BUt couldn't you add something to the app to validate the schedule to avoid this? For example I noticed if you only have one set point, that there is no error, but you find a few minutes later that the schedule has reverted to what it was before. So all you need to do is add some kind schedule validity checking in the app that says "This schedule is not valid and cannot be saved".