• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Custom Schedule - Controller or IFTTT

I need a bit of help on this one please.

The scenario is son is away for the weekend and I would like to lower the temperature in his room but not totally switch it off. The ideal setting is the Economy setting but just for his room. Is there any way of doing this either through the custom setting or via IFTTT?

By using the Custom Setting does that mean I have to schedule the whole house or can I just create a schedule for his room and the rest of the house operate as normal.

This won't be a one off so ideally I want something that I can use again (ie using IFTTT with my google calendar)
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
    I need a bit of help on this one please.

The scenario is son is away for the weekend and I would like to lower the temperature in his room but not totally switch it off. The ideal setting is the Economy setting but just for his room. Is there any way of doing this either through the custom setting or via IFTTT?

By using the Custom Setting does that mean I have to schedule the whole house or can I just create a schedule for his room and the rest of the house operate as normal.

This won't be a one off so ideally I want something that I can use again (ie using IFTTT with my google calendar)
    Create custom quick action and schedule as you have described, this then operates 'on top' of the regular schedule if that makes sense?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Mavis
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Oct 2014

Thank you. All set. I wasn't sure if the custom setting had to be set for the whole house. It would be good to have a couple of custom settings.

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
        Thank you. All set. I wasn't sure if the custom setting had to be set for the whole house. It would be good to have a couple of custom settings.
        When my step daughter is away I set her zone on permanent override to a setback temperature. I then cancel the permanent override when she is home.

You could create an IFTTT receipe to set zone temperature related to geofencing for a single zone.
        Last edited by top brake; 13 February 2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

I have used the custom setting for a general override at any time to have certain rooms at 21C. As am sure you have found out you can limit the custom menu to just one zone. It would be better though if you could limit the custom menu to a specific time. At present the minimum is one day which seems odd and not sure what was in the mind of the designers at the time. Plus only having one custom setting you can edit is very limiting.

Comment

• Mavis
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Oct 2014

It is not very clear when you set the Quick action when it will stop. If you press it once I think it says 'set until the morning of the next day' whatever time you set it. So what time is 'the morning'? Also if you press it again it then says one day, two days, etc. So is that 24 hours from when you set it or does it have a preset time (ie 'the morning)

Comment

• Mavis
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
              When my step daughter is away I set her zone on permanent override to a setback temperature. I then cancel the permanent override when she is home.

You could create an IFTTT receipe to set zone temperature related to geofencing for a single zone.
              I think this is probably a good long term solution then it will free up the custom setting. He is now travelling to his kart weekends himself and also works 12 hour shifts over an 8 week shift pattern so there is no schedule I can set. His room is the coldest room in the house so don't really want to set the heating to 10 degrees (our default night time temp) as a default all the time. The added problem is that he is just not interested - he has the app on his phone but all he does if he is too hot is turn the manual dial to off so two days later I go in an discover his radiator is off - he wouldn't think to adjust the temp to something comfortable.

I need to have a sit down and work out the best way. I will set up an IFTTT account in his name and set up a geofencing recipe and have a play.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

He clearly does not feel the cold so set it to always off!

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

A good reason to have a second custom menu is staring me in the face at present. We have visitors for a few days, three young grandchildren and their mother. They are in rooms that normally are set to different schedules and temperatures. A second custom menu would mean I could line these rooms up with the rest of the house for a period. It is not possible otherwise without altering all the scheduling.

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                    A good reason to have a second custom menu is staring me in the face at present. We have visitors for a few days, three young grandchildren and their mother. They are in rooms that normally are set to different schedules and temperatures. A second custom menu would mean I could line these rooms up with the rest of the house for a period. It is not possible otherwise without altering all the scheduling.
                    Thanks for the feedback

In the first generation Evo there were 2 'special days'

In the current model the quick actions were redesigned in response to user focus group feedback.
                    I agree 2 custom schedules would be useful.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Even make the existing ones editable.

Comment

• top brake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                        Even make the existing ones editable.
                        they are all editable to some degree, for example you can change the temperature that is set when 'AWAY'
                        but yes only one 'CUSTOM' schedule that works in conjunction with the main schedule

this is easy to edit and as you can only have one quick action at one time you might use that?

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

Other than the one custom action there is not much you can do with the other menus. The "Away" one can only be used to adjust the temperature which then apples to all zones but I guess most would not want all zones changed but still want to have some off.

I suppose you could set up the Day Off action to one day in the week that has what one might need as a second custom but it then means when that day arrives you have to override the day's settings for each zone! err..... no!

Having to keep re-editing the one customisable menu is a pain. It is useful a lot of the time (except it seems to be limited to a minimum 24 hour change when anything from 1 to 24 hours would be more practicable) but when you want to make other changes, because for a period different zones are being used differently, its a hassle. Better to have at least two customisable actions. You can then keep one for those occasions when guests arrive and different zones are used differently plus ensure you can activate for a specific time and not days. Always been puzzled why the one custom action does not provide for shorter time periods. Seems an oversight in the design.

Comment

• Mavis
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                            they are all editable to some degree, for example you can change the temperature that is set when 'AWAY'
                            but yes only one 'CUSTOM' schedule that works in conjunction with the main schedule

this is easy to edit and as you can only have one quick action at one time you might use that?

I know I am getting dangerously close to 'wanting the moon and more' but I discovered last weekend that by using geofencing and IFTTT (which will trigger a quick action - in my case Economy mode) it then overides the custom setting that I had set.

Comment

• G4RHL
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jan 2015

All young ladies want the moon, don't they?!! Geofencing, am hesitant at dabbling with it in case I **** everything up.

Comment

Working...
                              X