• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chicken
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

Evohome Mobile Access Problem

Hi,
    Have looked at the other threads about Total Connect Comfort app access but cannot find the solution! I have installed Evohome couple of days ago. I use an iPhone 5C with the app installed on ios 7 (it is the European version). There's no problem using the app to access my system over wifi but I cannot get the app to work over mobile internet 3G or 4G with strong signal.

I've checked that VPN is not connected and mobile data usage is allowed for the app. I get the same "unable to get your account information. Please try again. If problem persists visit www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com" message as others have had.

Does anyone know how to get this to work? There must be plenty of iphone users who have Evohome accessing via mobile internet?

Many thanks for any help.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
    Hi,
    Have looked at the other threads about Total Connect Comfort app access but cannot find the solution! I have installed Evohome couple of days ago. I use an iPhone 5C with the app installed on ios 7 (it is the European version). There's no problem using the app to access my system over wifi but I cannot get the app to work over mobile internet 3G or 4G with strong signal.

I've checked that VPN is not connected and mobile data usage is allowed for the app. I get the same "unable to get your account information. Please try again. If problem persists visit www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com" message as others have had.

Does anyone know how to get this to work? There must be plenty of iphone users who have Evohome accessing via mobile internet?

Many thanks for any help.
    Contact Honeywell support who will be able to investigate and offer advice.
    An obvious question is do you have mobile data enabled?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Chicken
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
      Contact Honeywell support who will be able to investigate and offer advice.
      An obvious question is do you have mobile data enabled?
      Thanks Topbrake,

Yes I have mobile data enabled for the app. Seems strange that works flawlessly over wifi but not 4G. When app doesn't work on 4G everything else does so must be a bug or the app has switched something on that's preventing access.

Wondered if any iPhone users out there that have the app working over 4G and what their settings might be, iOS, etc?

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

I had the same issue when I first installed Evohome back in December. Honeywell support were not, on that issue, much use, just told me that I must have the wrong app installed! I hadn't. Strong signal, 4G just no good when in roaming mode. It cured itself after I had deleted the app, done a hard reset on the phone and reinstalled the app a couple of times.

As you have probably read elsewhere another issue developed for me when I suddenly only had one way communication using the app. Roaming was mostly no good again. This was cured with the deletion of my account and setting up afresh - done by Honeywell as it seemed my attempts to delete were abortive. Then I had the VPN issue, at least I think that was the cause as all has seemed ok since I deleted VPN and did a a complete reset of my iPhone.

Can only suggest you try deleting the app and doing a hard reset of the phone and if still not working try a complete reset of the phone - backup first!The app though is not wonderful. Ok when in wifi but using it roaming even with strong signals it is hit and miss whether you will get into your account and it is very slow communicating with the server. About the slowest app I have come across that connects and gets data over the Internet. Often you will find you have to exit the app completely and open it afresh.

Comment

• top brake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2015

also worthwhile making sure your phone does not have loads of apps running in the background; this slows down the phone just as having multiple programs on a pc slows it down

doubletap on iphone home button makes all the apps open visible and you can simply swipe them closed

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

also worthwhile making sure your phone does not have loads of apps running in the background; this slows down the phone just as having multiple programs on a pc slows it down

doubletap on iphone home button makes all the apps open visible and you can simply swipe them closed
            I have found little or no difference in the speed of operation of the app whether it is the only one open or one of several. It clearly prefers a wireless connection rather than roaming. What I need to try is a wireless connection in somebody else's home or business. I tried this some weeks ago and could not get into the account at all but have not tried it since "issues" have been resolved. There is though often time to put the kettle on whilst it makes contact!

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
              I have found little or no difference in the speed of operation of the app whether it is the only one open or one of several. It clearly prefers a wireless connection rather than roaming. What I need to try is a wireless connection in somebody else's home or business. I tried this some weeks ago and could not get into the account at all but have not tried it since "issues" have been resolved. There is though often time to put the kettle on whilst it makes contact!
              how much free memory does your iphone have?

you can find this out under setting/general/usage

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

how much free memory does your iphone have?

you can find this out under setting/general/usage
                Currently 19.5 gb. My wife's phone has 22gb free both exhibit the same "symptoms" when connecting with Evohome. They are on different networks.

Out of interest have just tried to connect in roaming mode. First I got "access denied" a reasonably common message; more often it is a message telling me to try later. I exited the app and went in again, this time successful. I timed it, it took 15 seconds. That is fairly fast compared to other occasions. The app does work, it's just that access to the server is slow and sometimes one needs to exit and go back in again. That is more often the case if the app has been open using wifi and you have then changed to roaming.
                Last edited by G4RHL; 16 February 2015, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

Currently 19.5 gb. My wife's phone has 22gb free both exhibit the same "symptoms" when connecting with Evohome. They are on different networks.

Out of interest have just tried to connect in roaming mode. First I got "access denied" a reasonably common message; more often it is a message telling me to try later. I exited the app and went in again, this time successful. I timed it, it took 15 seconds. That is fairly fast compared to other occasions. The app does work, it's just that access to the server is slow and sometimes one needs to exit and go back in again. That is more often the case if the app has been open using wifi and you have then changed to roaming.

great thanks for the very useful feedback

Comment

• Vangelis
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Sep 2009

One thing to try (depending on IT proficiency) is a connectivity test to the 'Honeywell Servers' over WiFi and 4G

Firstly you will need to find out what the FQDN of the 'Honeywell Servers' is (Top Brake may be able to assist), then run whats called a 'ping'

To carry out this test over WiFi (as you have a iPhone), would be to run the ping from your Router (most home routers have this function under 'diagnostics'). The results should be sub 100msecs

To carry out this test over 4G is a little more complex and will require 'tethering' a laptop to your iPhone. You will then run the same 'ping' to the FQDN of the 'Honeywell Servers' (which will in turn run over the 4G network) and compare results.

Vangelis

Comment

• Chicken
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Feb 2015

I had the same issue when I first installed Evohome back in December. Honeywell support were not, on that issue, much use, just told me that I must have the wrong app installed! I hadn't. Strong signal, 4G just no good when in roaming mode. It cured itself after I had deleted the app, done a hard reset on the phone and reinstalled the app a couple of times.

As you have probably read elsewhere another issue developed for me when I suddenly only had one way communication using the app. Roaming was mostly no good again. This was cured with the deletion of my account and setting up afresh - done by Honeywell as it seemed my attempts to delete were abortive. Then I had the VPN issue, at least I think that was the cause as all has seemed ok since I deleted VPN and did a a complete reset of my iPhone.

Can only suggest you try deleting the app and doing a hard reset of the phone and if still not working try a complete reset of the phone - backup first!The app though is not wonderful. Ok when in wifi but using it roaming even with strong signals it is hit and miss whether you will get into your account and it is very slow communicating with the server. About the slowest app I have come across that connects and gets data over the Internet. Often you will find you have to exit the app completely and open it afresh.
                      Thanks G4RHL,

I did what you suggested and deleted the app, did a reset and re-installed the app. Seems to work now on mobile internet so thanks very much. Not sure why didn't work first install but I don't believe it's a Honeywell issue, just a bug which will hopefully be corrected next update.

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

Am no expert but suspect the app leaves debris around in the phone and/or is prone to corrupt itself such that a simple deletion does not work, you need to do a complete reset and reinstall of everything. Honeywell chaps will be reading this and no doubt can pass it back to their software boffins to investigate but there are some issues with the app that need sorting. A suggestion for the experts to consider is look at what is happening when the app is running on wifi and then you go out of range and into roaming. I think it gets a bout of indigestion at times when that happens.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

Just run the experiment again. With no other apps running opened the app using wireless. Took about 5 seconds to update itself. Without closing the app I switched off wifi and tried it in roaming mode. After 30 seconds of trying to access the server it gave up asking me go try again. I did without existing the app and it took just over 10 seconds and hooked up. I then exited the app and went in again still in roaming mode. It took 25 seconds to connect. Somebody else has I think reported having to exit and go back in again to make connection (I thought it was only those silly Windows systems that had that problem!!!!!) but I do wonder now whether the app leaves behind some corruption when it swaps in and out particularly when you move from wifi to roaming without exiting it. I don't know enough about programming so this is to an extent speculation. Also if I alter a setting when in roaming mode it can take the app awhile to update even when you force the issue.

Whatever, my house is just so much more comfortable and balanced heat wise with Evohome than it ever was. Not had a gas bill yet, meter reading due in 9 days but then am about to change supplier from British Gas - been quoted over £300 less p.a. than BG want to charge me and that is even after allowing for their magnificent 5% drop in prices at the end of this month!

Comment

• top brake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2015

Just run the experiment again. With no other apps running opened the app using wireless. Took about 5 seconds to update itself. Without closing the app I switched off wifi and tried it in roaming mode. After 30 seconds of trying to access the server it gave up asking me go try again. I did without existing the app and it took just over 10 seconds and hooked up. I then exited the app and went in again still in roaming mode. It took 25 seconds to connect. Somebody else has I think reported having to exit and go back in again to make connection (I thought it was only those silly Windows systems that had that problem!!!!!) but I do wonder now whether the app leaves behind some corruption when it swaps in and out particularly when you move from wifi to roaming without exiting it. I don't know enough about programming so this is to an extent speculation. Also if I alter a setting when in roaming mode it can take the app awhile to update even when you force the issue.

Whatever, my house is just so much more comfortable and balanced heat wise with Evohome than it ever was. Not had a gas bill yet, meter reading due in 9 days but then am about to change supplier from British Gas - been quoted over £300 less p.a. than BG want to charge me and that is even after allowing for their magnificent 5% drop in prices at the end of this month!
                            You just confirmed arguably the most powerful effect of smart zoning; enabling behavioural change. Not only are you aware of your consumption but now have the tools to reduce it without sacrificing comfort. The switching to a lower cost utility being an added bonus.

Thanks for all the feedback on the app that will be passed on to the development team.

Comment

• gl3n
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Feb 2015

"Smart zoning; enabling behavioural change" hmmm I feel I am now spending way to much time watching temperatures to find further efficiency! Equivalent to modern day train spotting in the Internet age

However well worth it and an incredible system.

Comment

Working...
                              X