Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Installing a Evohome System

Automated Home Jr Member

yh I had a look on there but cannot seem to find anything in regards to that issue.

Also I would have to change the radiator in the room with the thermostat to a Evohome TRV. This currently has 2 normal rad valves on, (well im guessing one is a lockshield) Im guessing I would need to drain the system to fit the TRV to one end?

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tom2806 View Post
    yh I had a look on there but cannot seem to find anything in regards to that issue.

Also I would have to change the radiator in the room with the thermostat to a Evohome TRV. This currently has 2 normal rad valves on, (well im guessing one is a lockshield) Im guessing I would need to drain the system to fit the TRV to one end?
    A plumber would not need to drain the system to install a TRV on one end. You can close the valve at the other end....take-off the pressure with the radiator bleed valve, clamp the radiator on the TRV side so it is supported and doesn't tip, freeze the pipe on the TRV install side, put a rubber membrane on the side of the radiator once disconnected so it doesn't pour out, and then install the TRV junction. As you need tools for this job which you almost certainly don't have, as well as the learning curve being a bit steep for you to attempt this, I would strongly suggest you need a plumber / installer for this. Do NOT try and do this by draining! If you did you will then need to put new inhibitor chemicals in the water and you will have to bleed the whole system carefully.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi

Just found out that my current thermostat is battery powered and not mains so I will struggle to fit the Wireless relay in this position as it requires a mains power supply.

I wonder if the wire to the thermostat will carry mains power or not?????

Cheers

Automated Home Guru

Hi

Just found out that my current thermostat is battery powered and not mains so I will struggle to fit the Wireless relay in this position as it requires a mains power supply.

I wonder if the wire to the thermostat will carry mains power or not?????

Cheers
    You are really scaring me with some of these questions. The wires to the thermostat depends on the system. In a simple set-up a thermostat will often have 3 wires going to it.....a live, neutral and a switched live

Automated Home Jr Member

but if the thermostat is battery powered it surely will not have 230v mains to it

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

but if the thermostat is battery powered it surely will not have 230v mains to it

not true

heating system wiring to /from thermostat can be 230v, 24v or potential free

please take care
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Jr Member

Well its new build property so this is the only thermostat that has been installed. what power would the switching wire carry?

There is no way of knowing what voltage the stat uses as that is entirely dependent on the boiler. Most use a 230v signal, so it could be mains, others can be low voltage. If it is only a 2-core cable you will not be able to use it in any case as the BDR needs a minimum of three cores (4 cores if the boiler switching is low voltage). I will echo that if you are not aware of these basic electrical issues I would leave it to an electrician to fit it for you, 230v electrics need to be left to those that are competent and experienced. You could then have the BDR installed near the boiler and connected to the existing boiler wiring centre (or direct to the boiler if it is a combi). Then it only needs the existing stat cable to be disconnected/made safe, and you can either leave the redundant room stat on the wall, or remove it and make good.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Well its new build property so this is the only thermostat that has been installed. what power would the switching wire carry?
    The majority of heating thermostats (battery operated or not) are switching 230v. An approved voltage tester would quickly and safely confirm this though. I echo the other guys, if you are needing to ask lots of installation questions with regards to the heating installation, I suggest getting an installer to help you.

From my experience the recommendation of an 'electrician' to do the works might not be the best step. Electricians are fine with wiring but the majority have very limited knowledge about G3 Regs (Unvented Cylinders), are not normally Gas Safe or OFTEC registered (so not insured to work on boilers) and have limited knowledge on what heating components are or what they do.

For example, I had an electrician contact me the other day and after a brief chat about the evohome installation he was doing for a customer we had supplied the equipment to, I found out straight away that he had already removed all the manufacturers safety controls from an unvented cylinder and wired both BDR91's right next to each other right next to the cylinder!

So be very wary of who you employ - experience and knowledge is vital!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    The majority of heating thermostats (battery operated or not) are switching 230v. An approved voltage tester would quickly and safely confirm this though. I echo the other guys, if you are needing to ask lots of installation questions with regards to the heating installation, I suggest getting an installer to help you.

From my experience the recommendation of an 'electrician' to do the works might not be the best step. Electricians are fine with wiring but the majority have very limited knowledge about G3 Regs (Unvented Cylinders), are not normally Gas Safe or OFTEC registered (so not insured to work on boilers) and have limited knowledge on what heating components are or what they do.

For example, I had an electrician contact me the other day and after a brief chat about the evohome installation he was doing for a customer we had supplied the equipment to, I found out straight away that he had already removed all the manufacturers safety controls from an unvented cylinder and wired both BDR91's right next to each other right next to the cylinder!

So be very wary of who you employ - experience and knowledge is vital!
    Hey

I ill demo take all this into consideration.

one quick question, I have 2 zone valves controlling the 2 separate zones in the house (ground floor and then middle + Top). If I want to install the HR92 TRV then can I just set the zone valves to manuel. Will this mean they are constantly open and the heating is now done at room level on the evohome trove?

Cheers