• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by jonstatt View Post

I am curious what the hot water overrun parameter is for? It isn't a boiler overrun because the controller can't independently cut heat but keep the pump running with the wiring it has.....so not sure what that is for.
    Hot water overrun
    Specifies how long the valve for the hot water is open or the hot water pump is running to extract all the heat to avoid blocking the heat source.

Needs to be Figure 4 installation 'hot water single valve' with boiler relay for this to work
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• jonstatt
      Automated Home Guru
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
      Hot water overrun
      Specifies how long the valve for the hot water is open or the hot water pump is running to extract all the heat to avoid blocking the heat source.

Needs to be Figure 4 installation 'hot water single valve' with boiler relay for this to work
      Ah! That makes sense then. Thanks

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Ah! That makes sense then. Thanks
        No problem

as has been recommended by evohome shop and others Fig 4 is the optimal way to install.

S Plan or Y Plan is more of an easy retrofit with minimal wiring changes and has some compromises.

Comment

• jonstatt
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2015

No problem

as has been recommended by evohome shop and others Fig 4 is the optimal way to install.

S Plan or Y Plan is more of an easy retrofit with minimal wiring changes and has some compromises.
          Yes I did see several say that Fig 4 was the best way and I may change to that at some point. THe reason I was concerned about it was because it means when heating hot water, you are also heating the entire heating loop. Even if all radiators are closed, in a 4 bedroom town house, that is still a lot of pipe work you are circulating water around and trying to heat up. Am I missing something about this?

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

Yes I did see several say that Fig 4 was the best way and I may change to that at some point. THe reason I was concerned about it was because it means when heating hot water, you are also heating the entire heating loop. Even if all radiators are closed, in a 4 bedroom town house, that is still a lot of pipe work you are circulating water around and trying to heat up. Am I missing something about this?
            If you have an automatic bypass valve there will be minimal circulation

Comment

• jonstatt
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2015

If you have an automatic bypass valve there will be minimal circulation
              I apologise as I am sure I am being dense here. I do have a bypass valve, but I thought the bypass valve was set to be at a higher resistance than the heating loop so that water only circulates through the bypass loop in the event of the boiler pump over-run (i.e. both zone motors closed). If the heating zone is permanently open, then it just becomes one big loop with the water one which in total has lower resistance than the bypass loop.
              Last edited by jonstatt; 26 February 2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

I apologise as I am sure I am being dense here. I do have a bypass valve, but I thought the bypass valve was set to be at a higher resistance than the heating loop so that water only circulates through the bypass loop in the event of the boiler pump over-run (i.e. both zone motors closed). If the heating zone is permanently open, then it just becomes one big loop with the water one which in total has lower resistance than the bypass loop.
                Have a look at this - in a feed and return system when the radiator valves are closed there is no flow
                Basic water central heating pipework and radiator systems - An explanation of the various pipework and radiator systems used in water central heating systems.

Hence why you need a bypass valve
                Last edited by top brake; 26 February 2015, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• jonstatt
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Feb 2015

Have a look at this - in a feed and return system when the radiator valves are closed there is no flow
                  Basic water central heating pipework and radiator systems - An explanation of the various pipework and radiator systems used in water central heating systems.

Hence why you need a bypass valve
                  Ah fantastic...thanks for taking the time to find and point me to that. That makes a lot of sense. I guess I must have a "feed and return" layout because apart from the bypass differential valve being present, I had noticed no attempt had been made to balance my radiators (the stop valve on all radiators was fully open) yet all radiators get equally hot even if they are all fully on. So without ripping up floors or walls to see the pipe routing, I must assume that is what I have vs the much poorer but simpler single pipe loop.

Okay, well, I have just got my S-Plan set-up working.....but when I get a moment I will look at converting it into a figure 4 system.

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Ah fantastic...thanks for taking the time to find and point me to that. That makes a lot of sense. I guess I must have a "feed and return" layout because apart from the bypass differential valve being present, I had noticed no attempt had been made to balance my radiators (the stop valve on all radiators was fully open) yet all radiators get equally hot even if they are all fully on. So without ripping up floors or walls to see the pipe routing, I must assume that is what I have vs the much poorer but simpler single pipe loop.

Okay, well, I have just got my S-Plan set-up working.....but when I get a moment I will look at converting it into a figure 4 system.
                    You're welcome

If you have Honeywell TRV you can balance the system at the TRV so your system may be have been balanced after all

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

I use my downstairs loo radiator as the bypass. Tiny room, always warm!

Comment

• jonstatt
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Feb 2015

You're welcome

If you have Honeywell TRV you can balance the system at the TRV so your system may be have been balanced after all
                        They were Myson TRVs which don't have that feature.....but there was clearly no attempt to balance my CH. Nonetheless it has never been an issue anyway which is why I suspect it is the "feed and return" layout that you mentioned before which wouldn't need it to the same extent. My house was built in 2006, would feed and return be "standard practice" for new builds nowadays?
                        Last edited by jonstatt; 27 February 2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• jonstatt
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                          I use my downstairs loo radiator as the bypass. Tiny room, always warm!
                          It's funny you mentioned that because I started out without a TRV in my "under the stairs" loo as well, but it got really toasty in there...uncomfortably so Anyone would have thought I had done a workout in the gym when I left the loo rather than just having a tinkle!

Comment

• top brake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2015

They were Myson TRVs which don't have that feature.....but there was clearly no attempt to balance my CH. Nonetheless it has never been an issue anyway which is why I suspect it is the "feed and return" layout that you mentioned before which wouldn't need it to the same extent. My house was built in 2006, would feed and return be "standard practice" for new builds nowadays?
                            Feed and return standard practice, yes

You do need to balance the radiators to ensure best performance

Comment

• G4RHL
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jan 2015

How do you balance a radiator?

Comment

• G4RHL
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                                How do you balance a radiator?
                                Just seen the answer elsewhere in the forum. Having read it I don't need to balance, all my radiators seem to warm up at the same time and the lock valves are all fully open.

Comment

Working...
                                X