• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexc
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Apr 2013

Alarm input to Idratek to add presence

I've connected two outputs from my installed intruder alarm and configured them to let Cortex know when the alarm is set or unset for both a full set and a night set. At the moment they simply show up as 'key' icons in my 'house'. They indicate correctly whether the alarm is set.

What I'd like to do is to change some lights, drop the heating, etc. when in night set (ie going to bed), and make changes to lights and heating when in full set (when out). What's the best way to achieve this? I thought I could use it to create presence or not, but I'm not sure how to begin.

Thanks

Alex
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

It depends on how comprehensive a system you have installed and hence how much implicit automation you are making use of in general. I'm guessing from your question that you are maybe not that far down the line with that, in which case probably your best bet is to use macros. The reason for the initial statement is because what you do inside such macros depends on the extent which you might then be 'fighting' with any automation. Should the macro put a particular light into manual only control mode or should it just temporarily override its present state e.g just issue an 'off' command (with awareness of the circumstances which will eventually undo the override)? Similarly so for heating - there are various ways to cause a change to set point. For example you simply force the heating to the fallback setting, or you might choose to make a temporary adjustment (knowing that this will be auto removed under various circumstances).

Comment

• spellinn
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2007

A nice way to achieve this would be the ability to disconnect/connect object connections via Cortex events (and thus the API)

Given this ability, one could create two HVAC objects, one for when you're home, the other when you're not, and then use a Macro to switch the connections of the Valve or boiler object between the two. This would allow you to keep the "logic" in the secondary object itself (making it easy to edit) rather than trying to reprogram a single HCAV object using the macro. The macro would be kept simple too by just connecting/disconnecting the appropriate connections.

Same could be applied to lighting objects that you want to change the behaviour of according to some external status (light/dark, occupied/unoccupied, alarm armed/unarmed etc)

Cheers

Neil

Comment

• Viv
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Dec 2004

The HVAC is specifically designed to cater for being at home or away in conjunction with the All HVAC object. Even switch to fall back either individually or the whole house when the proerty becomes vacant.

However their are circumstances where a completly different HVAC behaviour is desirable and is being done in some properties.

You simply connect two or more HVAC objects to the same heating controls (zones, pumps, valves, boilers etc) and then Switch the appropraite HVAC's on or off as required.

So for example, in a poorly heating zoned property, one HVAC could control the heating during the day using a downstairs temperature sensors, presence etc. Then at night a second HVAC takes over using upstairs or bedroom temperature sensors.

But this only needs to be done because of limited heating hardware.

Viv

Comment

• spellinn
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Viv View Post
          You simply connect two or more HVAC objects to the same heating controls (zones, pumps, valves, boilers etc) and then Switch the appropraite HVAC's on or off as required.
          That sounds a lot simpler than trying to connect/disconnect existing objects!

I often forget that Cortex allows multiple connections to/from most objects!

Cheers

Neil

Comment

• Alexc
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Apr 2013

That's all really helpful, thank you. Annoyingly, I was sitting with my laptop on my lap, remoting into my Cortex and testing out some macros, when our house got struck by lightning! The noise was tremendous, then it went dark (RCD). It took out the alarm panel, TV, TiVo box, two network switches and a couple of power adapters. The only Idratek gear damaged was a 1A fuse in the QTI-001!
            Last edited by Alexc; 2 March 2015, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Viv
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2004

[QUOTE= struck by lightning! [/QUOTE]

Goodness! Was their much damage to the building?

Viv

Comment

• Alexc
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Apr 2013

Just some damage to the chimney stack! Lots of render on the ground, and now waiting for the builder's quote.

Thanks Viv.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

wonder what chance of recurrence would be ... does the situation make it stand out in any way ? No idea how much lightning conductors might cost, or if there are such things as super-fast breakers or crow-bars ??
                  Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Alexc
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Apr 2013

Found some useful info at http://www.aelgroup.co.uk/htm/domestic.htm

Perhaps some good surge protection would be an idea. We're not the highest house, so no idea why it chose us!

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

interesting - interesting, too, that crow-bars don't figure (eg: short all three conductors to earth, or just to each other) ...

Comment

• Alexc
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Apr 2013

This looks interesting - see bottom of http://www.surgedevices.co.uk/products.html

Any thoughts?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

not an expert or in the trade, so could be wrong ... but think I expected lightning protection devices to be upstream of any consumer unit, rather than within it ... maybe they're really just (far-off discharge) induced surge protectors, rather than (the building received a) direct-hit protectors ... wonder how much, too ??
                          Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 6 March 2015, 10:36 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                          X