X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Top Brake - putting information on websites etc that most people will never read will achieve absolutely nothing. If the Honeywell Police are really serious about this then they need to look seriously at how the products are marketed. My Evohome was sourced by my Installer. The software industry has a similar issue and it gets round it by security sealing all boxes with the printed caveat that breaking the seal constitutes acceptance of all Licence conditions. Perhaps you need to do the same, and include this message in your Registered Installer's training.

Personally, I would not hesitate to leave Evohome installed if I moved house. Furthermore, as I have not signed, or been asked to sign, any Licence conditions then the passing of any personal data by Honeywell to a 3rd party would, in my view, be in direct breach of the UK's Data Protection Act.

This Act sits above any European Law on the use of personal data. I suggest that this is an issue that you need to refer back to your legal team or to the UK ICO for advice.

Comment

• orange
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2014

I don't actually remember seeing anywhere that I'd agreed to that licence agreement. It's possible that there was something that you had to 'click to accept' when opening a TCC account ? the website is down for maintenance so I can't check.

Obviously somebody 'buying' (licensing !) the hardware without using TCC would have no idea that they don't actually own the system.

PS - no reply from DataPrivacy@honeywell.com - I'll see if I can reach somebody from the Honeywell press office for a statement.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
        T

This Act sits above any European Law on the use of personal data. I suggest that this is an issue that you need to refer back to your legal team or to the UK ICO for advice.
        It is does not need to go to the UK ICO for advice their lawyers will know already that you cannot simply use a customer's information for third parties without getting consent. I cannot access my account at present (because of Honeywell's maintenance today) but cannot recollect anything to say data will be used for third parties. Other than that I have no contract or agreement with Honeywell so no terms or conditions, no licence or what have you. I just bought the gear, like you would buy from any shop.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          Other than that I have no contract or agreement with Honeywell so no terms or conditions, no licence or what have you. I just bought the gear, like you would buy from any shop.
          My Evohome was installed by a Honeywell Registered Installer who quoted for and arrived with all the kit. At no time was it ever mentioned that the equipment was being provided under licence and not a sale. I think that the Honeywell reps on this site now realise that this is a bigger issue than 'we will just stick it somewhere in the user instructions,. All that said, I am still not sure what Honeywell's position is if a customer doesn't buy the Gateway and sign up for a Total Connect account?

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

thanks for all your responses about the terms and conditions (that you will have signed up to when registering the TCC account*), I have linked to this thread and passed to Honeywell Data Privacy for their consideration

*https://europe.mytotalconnectcomfort...count/Register

So getting back on topic what would you like to see in the evohome manual
            Last edited by top brake; 25 February 2015, 04:25 PM.
            I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

[QUOTE=top brake;21220]thanks for all your responses about the terms and conditions (that you will have signed up to when registering the TCC account*), I have linked to this thread and passed to Honeywell Data Privacy for their consideration

*https://europe.mytotalconnectcomfort...count/Register

Hope they sort it quickly for it appears no option to opt in or out is given and by law I am sure that has to be. Have just accessed my Account and there is no option provided there to update my position. How it is done is buried deep in the conditions and not I think sufficient to comply with current law. It is why staring us in the face do we see these opt out/in provisions when opening accounts. Some bury them in tiny print, tucked away in a paragraph so small it is easy not to see it!

Back to subject! I think it is now down to someone (Honeywell!!) to correlate all the ideas that have come from this forum. Most aspects seem to have been covered - yes I know, Honeywell will go to print and then another point will arise, but that is life!

Comment

• orange
                Automated Home Guru
                • Dec 2014

Quick update on being removed from the "sell my details" list. Not a peep from Honeywell, no response to my email (to the email address you are asked to use in the privacy statement) not even an automated acknowledgement of email received.

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by orange View Post
                  Quick update on being removed from the "sell my details" list. Not a peep from Honeywell, no response to my email (to the email address you are asked to use in the privacy statement) not even an automated acknowledgement of email received.
                  after this came up last night i tested it and today I got a response from a real person so perhaps your email wasn't received

they are aware of this thread

Comment

• orange
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                    after this came up last night i tested it and today I got a response from a real person so perhaps your email wasn't received

they are aware of this thread
                    I've emailed twice

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

I sent the following at 15:38 today, no reply as yet.

"I have a Honeywell Evohome Account, the id is this email address.

I cannot recollect being given the option to opt in or out of your wish to use my data for third party use, or any form of marketing use, at the time I opened the account and in accordance with UK law I understand that option has to be clearly given to customers at the outset.

Will you please accept this email as confirmation that I wish to opt out of any provision for my data to be used for marketing, sales or by third parties or other promotional communications.

I note there is no provision to do this in the Account itself and how to do it is buried deep. I am not so sure this legal."

Comment

• erik
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Feb 2015

My personal experience with Honeywell and privacy so far is actually very good. The Honeywell employees I've spoken to so far were all very careful about it and really seemed conscious of the importance of privacy for their customers.

Comment

• thepook
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jan 2015

From another thread:

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                          Regarding cycle rates on an S/Y Plan plus HR92 zoned system an explanation is being prepared.
                          When I have something that can be easily explained and understood in laymans terms I will share it.
                          I think this should be documented in the manual; there must be loads of these systems being installed out there to heating appliances where cycle rates should be kept within certain limits, for example older cast-iron hex boilers like mine.

I also think it should be possible to adjust the cycle rates on heating zone valve relays for the above reasons...but I guess that is one for the other thread about features we would like to see provided. I also might change my mind about this depending on the explanation of the cycling that we receive!
                          Last edited by thepook; 26 February 2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• orange
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by orange View Post
                            I've emailed twice
                            still nothing - I've tried emailing yet again

Comment

• G4RHL
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jan 2015

I've had no reply either.

Comment

• top brake
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Feb 2015

DataPrivacy@honeywell.com

Comment

Working...
                                X