Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what would you like to see documented in the evohome manual

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

So does this mean that you would like to see these terms and conditions in the user guide?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Guru

I think some it needs to be pointed out before purchase

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I think some it needs to be pointed out before purchase
    Added to this pre-sales website then?

http://getconnected.honeywell.com/en/get-connected

Automated Home Guru

That would be fine. Part of the FAQ - pointing out you are only licensing it for your own use and not the actual owner (of the hardware)

Automated Home Guru

That's some scary license agreement.

Automated Home Legend

Top Brake - putting information on websites etc that most people will never read will achieve absolutely nothing. If the Honeywell Police are really serious about this then they need to look seriously at how the products are marketed. My Evohome was sourced by my Installer. The software industry has a similar issue and it gets round it by security sealing all boxes with the printed caveat that breaking the seal constitutes acceptance of all Licence conditions. Perhaps you need to do the same, and include this message in your Registered Installer's training.

Personally, I would not hesitate to leave Evohome installed if I moved house. Furthermore, as I have not signed, or been asked to sign, any Licence conditions then the passing of any personal data by Honeywell to a 3rd party would, in my view, be in direct breach of the UK's Data Protection Act.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...y-definitions/

This Act sits above any European Law on the use of personal data. I suggest that this is an issue that you need to refer back to your legal team or to the UK ICO for advice.

Automated Home Guru

I don't actually remember seeing anywhere that I'd agreed to that licence agreement. It's possible that there was something that you had to 'click to accept' when opening a TCC account ? the website is down for maintenance so I can't check.

Obviously somebody 'buying' (licensing !) the hardware without using TCC would have no idea that they don't actually own the system.

PS - no reply from DataPrivacy@honeywell.com - I'll see if I can reach somebody from the Honeywell press office for a statement.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    T

This Act sits above any European Law on the use of personal data. I suggest that this is an issue that you need to refer back to your legal team or to the UK ICO for advice.
    It is does not need to go to the UK ICO for advice their lawyers will know already that you cannot simply use a customer's information for third parties without getting consent. I cannot access my account at present (because of Honeywell's maintenance today) but cannot recollect anything to say data will be used for third parties. Other than that I have no contract or agreement with Honeywell so no terms or conditions, no licence or what have you. I just bought the gear, like you would buy from any shop.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Other than that I have no contract or agreement with Honeywell so no terms or conditions, no licence or what have you. I just bought the gear, like you would buy from any shop.
    My Evohome was installed by a Honeywell Registered Installer who quoted for and arrived with all the kit. At no time was it ever mentioned that the equipment was being provided under licence and not a sale. I think that the Honeywell reps on this site now realise that this is a bigger issue than 'we will just stick it somewhere in the user instructions,. All that said, I am still not sure what Honeywell's position is if a customer doesn't buy the Gateway and sign up for a Total Connect account?

thanks for all your responses about the terms and conditions (that you will have signed up to when registering the TCC account*), I have linked to this thread and passed to Honeywell Data Privacy for their consideration

*https://europe.mytotalconnectcomfort...count/Register

So getting back on topic what would you like to see in the evohome manual
    Last edited by top brake; 25th February 2015 at 04:25 PM.