• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bazinga
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

Hello

I've been reading this forum for a wee while, so thought it was time that I registered and then introduced myself.

We bought a large flat a year ago and decided that it would benefit from a degree of Home Automation. The first task was some decent black-out blinds since the bedroom is south facing and gets a fair amount of sunshine in the summer especially. We went with a Somfy mechanism from Controllis blinds. They're battery powered and work really well with the supplied remote control.

Next up has been the heating control system. We have a number of rooms that are only used at certain times of the day; dining room, office, lounge, etc. So the Honeywell Evohome was our eventual choice for a fully zoned system. I installed that myself in December last year and it's been working really well since then. We have a simple system, just a combi-boiler. I think I need to expand it with a room thermostat since there is a fairly large temperature gradient across the bedroom. Other than that, we're very pleased with it. We have 8 HR92s and the Home Gateway to let us use our iPhones to turn the heating on when we've arrived back at the airport. That is very cool! To install it I relied on the Honeywell inbox instructions. As long as you're methodical, then the instructions are good. After that, this forum has been invaluable in learn the little tricks. I hadn't realised for example that it takes 7-10 days for optimisation to learn the parameters of the room. Thanks to Evohome Shop for that nugget of information. Ditto for the advice to add a setpoint change at midnight just in case someone carries out a manual override at one of the HR92 late in the evening. Finally it's great that Rameses and Top Brake are so giving of their time to post here.

Next will be some kind of controller computer to automatically close the Somfy blinds at night. Be handy to also have the ability to capture some temperatures from the Evohome as well via a Python script that a few of the forum members have posted.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Bazinga View Post
    I've been reading this forum for a wee while, so thought it was time that I registered and then introduced myself.

We bought a large flat a year ago and decided that it would benefit from a degree of Home Automation. The first task was some decent black-out blinds since the bedroom is south facing and gets a fair amount of sunshine in the summer especially. We went with a Somfy mechanism from Controllis blinds. They're battery powered and work really well with the supplied remote control.

Next up has been the heating control system. We have a number of rooms that are only used at certain times of the day; dining room, office, lounge, etc. So the Honeywell Evohome was our eventual choice for a fully zoned system. I installed that myself in December last year and it's been working really well since then. We have a simple system, just a combi-boiler. I think I need to expand it with a room thermostat since there is a fairly large temperature gradient across the bedroom. Other than that, we're very pleased with it. We have 8 HR92s and the Home Gateway to let us use our iPhones to turn the heating on when we've arrived back at the airport. That is very cool! To install it I relied on the Honeywell inbox instructions. As long as you're methodical, then the instructions are good. After that, this forum has been invaluable in learn the little tricks. I hadn't realised for example that it takes 7-10 days for optimisation to learn the parameters of the room. Thanks to Evohome Shop for that nugget of information. Ditto for the advice to add a setpoint change at midnight just in case someone carries out a manual override at one of the HR92 late in the evening. Finally it's great that Rameses and Top Brake are so giving of their time to post here.

Next will be some kind of controller computer to automatically close the Somfy blinds at night. Be handy to also have the ability to capture some temperatures from the Evohome as well via a Python script that a few of the forum members have posted.
    Hello!

glad to hear that you are enjoying your evohome and that you are getting answers to your queries

its always great to hear of successful self-installs, one of the great enablers that evohome brings with its wireless architecture
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• orange
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Bazinga View Post
      Ditto for the advice to add a setpoint change at midnight just in case someone carries out a manual override at one of the HR92 late in the evening.
      Just bear this in mind if you just have one set point at midnight - if not you will break remote schedule changes from the app

.....and hi
      Last edited by orange; 25 February 2015, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Bazinga
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2015

Hi Orange

Yes, I read that when it was posted. Thankfully all our zones have additional set-points throughout the day so we haven't run in to this circumstance. Something to bear in mind though.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
          Site Sponsor
          • Dec 2014

Welcome to the forum Bazinga!

Comment

• erik
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2015

Bazinga Must be Sheldon Cooper :P

Welcome!

Comment