• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SimonW500
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

Evohome 'sticking' on?

Hi,

Had an EvoHome installed for 4 or 5 months - generally great - just three issues I'm keen to get to the bottom of:

1) Random boiler demand (though presumably not actually random) - reading these forums it seems like this is by design as in the system ensuring set points are not dipped below based on learned curves = I've lowered some of my set points in unused rooms to make this easier to monitor.
    2) As I have a Y plan setup I seem to have little control over boiler cycling rates / min run times - look forward to this default information being published per promised in other threads.
    3) The heating system occasionally 'sticking' on..

It's worth pointing out this has only happened after I've been 'playing' with the system - as in overriding temperatures in multiple zones using either the controller or iPhone app then canceling - however it has happened on a number of occasions now. Each time the communication between the controller, rad valves and iPhone app appears to have been successful in that after waiting up to 4 minutes for the next communication cycle everything reports the same correct target setpoint / overrides canceled etc (as confirmed on each rad valve display) however the heating side of the system still calls for heat (heating switchbox green light on, boiler firing). And continues to call for heat. Now I've not 100% confirmed the flow position of all the rad valves (difficult as this is usually after I've had the system firing so rads are hot whether flowing or not!) although as I said their valves are at least reporting correctly (not demanding heat, set point significantly below current temp). I've left the system in this state for over half an hour and with no change (never had a comms issue neither). Only way to stop this is to issue a further command to all zones (not sure if this is actually necessary or if just to perhaps one offending zone, however without being able to tell which one this is) before issuing a further command to cancel this (eg. issue an All Off override then cancel this override, although seems to work with any command really). As soon as these two commands are sync'd across the system everything is fine again (inc. heating demand cancelled) and back to normal operation.

Probably happened about 6-10 times now. Never in steady state operating conditions (that I'm aware), it's always when i'm trying to troubleshoot something else involving me firing up multiple zones at once yet being indecisive and therefore multiple repeat instructions in quick succession. I originally thought is was me not being patient enough to wait for everything to sync, or a comms issue, but having investigated further everything at appears to be displaying the correct instructions across the system (going off the various displays).

Anyone else seen this / have any ideas? When in normal use I'm unlikely to be fiddling on-mass will multiple zones / changing set points back and forth etc.. at the same time it's a little unnerving that if the system can go wrong it might just do so with a much simpler zone temp change one day? While I 'trust'(!) the system in general I have to say whenever I change a few different zone temps at once but then cancel them I do find myself sitting with the airing cupboard door open for the next ten minutes or so just to reassure myself the system has indeed gone off and/or operating correctly before leaving the house or going to bed!!
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Please post a picture of the location of the wireless relays
    Thanks

Originally posted by SimonW500 View Post
    Hi,

Had an EvoHome installed for 4 or 5 months - generally great - just three issues I'm keen to get to the bottom of:

1) Random boiler demand (though presumably not actually random) - reading these forums it seems like this is by design as in the system ensuring set points are not dipped below based on learned curves = I've lowered some of my set points in unused rooms to make this easier to monitor.
    2) As I have a Y plan setup I seem to have little control over boiler cycling rates / min run times - look forward to this default information being published per promised in other threads.
    3) The heating system occasionally 'sticking' on..

It's worth pointing out this has only happened after I've been 'playing' with the system - as in overriding temperatures in multiple zones using either the controller or iPhone app then canceling - however it has happened on a number of occasions now. Each time the communication between the controller, rad valves and iPhone app appears to have been successful in that after waiting up to 4 minutes for the next communication cycle everything reports the same correct target setpoint / overrides canceled etc (as confirmed on each rad valve display) however the heating side of the system still calls for heat (heating switchbox green light on, boiler firing). And continues to call for heat. Now I've not 100% confirmed the flow position of all the rad valves (difficult as this is usually after I've had the system firing so rads are hot whether flowing or not!) although as I said their valves are at least reporting correctly (not demanding heat, set point significantly below current temp). I've left the system in this state for over half an hour and with no change (never had a comms issue neither). Only way to stop this is to issue a further command to all zones (not sure if this is actually necessary or if just to perhaps one offending zone, however without being able to tell which one this is) before issuing a further command to cancel this (eg. issue an All Off override then cancel this override, although seems to work with any command really). As soon as these two commands are sync'd across the system everything is fine again (inc. heating demand cancelled) and back to normal operation.

Probably happened about 6-10 times now. Never in steady state operating conditions (that I'm aware), it's always when i'm trying to troubleshoot something else involving me firing up multiple zones at once yet being indecisive and therefore multiple repeat instructions in quick succession. I originally thought is was me not being patient enough to wait for everything to sync, or a comms issue, but having investigated further everything at appears to be displaying the correct instructions across the system (going off the various displays).

Anyone else seen this / have any ideas? When in normal use I'm unlikely to be fiddling on-mass will multiple zones / changing set points back and forth etc.. at the same time it's a little unnerving that if the system can go wrong it might just do so with a much simpler zone temp change one day? While I 'trust'(!) the system in general I have to say whenever I change a few different zone temps at once but then cancel them I do find myself sitting with the airing cupboard door open for the next ten minutes or so just to reassure myself the system has indeed gone off and/or operating correctly before leaving the house or going to bed!!
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• jonstatt
      Automated Home Guru
      • Feb 2015

This sounds very very similar to what I observed after I installed the hot water kit.

1) Everything "had" been on and running (both heat and water)
      2) Switched off hot water on the controller
      3) Switched off heat on the controller (which actually sets 5 degrees, but the lowest room temperature was 16)

Then a few minutes later the heat relay turned green and the boiler was left heating up the water in the bypass loop which isn't very clever at all. In fact, it heated it up too quickly causing the boiler over-temperature stat to kick in

I then took the batteries out of the controller and put them back in and it hasn't done it again since...although I haven't repeated these exact circumstances either.

Comment

• erik
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2015

If only we could see what zone was responsible for demanding heat and how much, this would all be a lot easier to diagnose.

Comment

• top brake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by erik View Post
          If only we could see what zone was responsible for demanding heat and how much, this would all be a lot easier to diagnose.
          One to discuss in the webchat
          I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• SimonW500
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by erik View Post
            Agreed. Presumably there is no way this is possible (yet?)?

Comment

Working...
            X