Thread: HR92 - Parameter 6 – Valve stroke

Automated Home Jr Member

Default HR92 - Parameter 6 – Valve stroke

Hi,

Might be an obvious question, but how do you tell whether or not the full-stroke option should be enabled?

Seems to work as standard (rads heat up and shut off on demand).. but don't know if it may work better (guess heat up quicker if flow restricted) with this enabled? Any way to diagnose other than trial and error?

Thanks. Simon

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW500 View Post
    Hi,

Might be an obvious question, but how do you tell whether or not the full-stroke option should be enabled?

Seems to work as standard (rads heat up and shut off on demand).. but don't know if it may work better (guess heat up quicker if flow restricted) with this enabled? Any way to diagnose other than trial and error?

Thanks. Simon
    It is enabled in the HR92 installer mode

No need to activate this option if the radiator turns on and off already
    It will only use the batteries quicker
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

This parameter is actually 'full torque'. It is there to be used if other manufacturer valves are sticking open. It applies full motor torque to help the valve shut off. It doesn't travel any further. TRV are actually normally open. The stroke length varies according to how the adaptor is screwed on too. When the HR92 is fitted and clicked into place it does an full travel 'optimisation' to understand its control range.

Hope this clarifies :-)
    Last edited by top brake; 8th March 2015 at 12:37 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    This parameter is actually 'full torque'. It is there to be used if other manufacturer valves are sticking open. It applies full motor torque to help the valve shut off. It doesn't travel any further. TRV are actually normally open. The stroke length varies according to how the adaptor is screwed on too. When the HR92 is fitted and clicked into place it does an full travel 'optimisation' to understand its control range.

Hope this clarifies :-)
    Perfect explanation - thanks

(perhaps another nugget of information to add to the manual! )

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW500 View Post
    Perfect explanation - thanks

(perhaps another nugget of information to add to the manual! )
    You're welcome

Agreed about adding this fuller explanation to an FAQ or enhanced manual

Automated Home Guru

Kind of contradicts with this info (from install guide?):

Parameter 6 – Valve stroke
    The radiator controller operates with the optimum valve stroke set in the factory. If the entire valve stroke is to be used or if the valve does not open completely, activate the full-stroke mode.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    Kind of contradicts with this info (from install guide?):
    It's kinda contradicting my personal experience as well. As I said in another thread, one of my radiators didn't OPEN easily when its HR92 was set on normal stroke. It used to OPEN regularly on full stroke. A different range of opening could explain this. But I can't figur out how more torque could affect the OPENING of the valve. It used to close reglarly with normal stroke as well...

Actually I saw that when the HR92 was reporting like 98% open, I could take the motor off and the black dial was not close to fully open. Still exploring, it's quite evident I have a "defective" valve body and the HR92 is having a hard time measuring it - but it changed behaviour when I turned parameter 6 to 1, that makes me think it actually opened more... that seems to be unrelated to torque, more related to stroke length. Of course this is just a personal opinion built on what I observed in the past few days (in which I tried so many options), no scientific insight...

Automated Home Guru

I would trust those personal observations, emmeesse68. More reliable