Roundup of ZWave OpenSource Platforms...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • niietzshe
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2014

Roundup of ZWave OpenSource Platforms...?

Hey all,
    After years of obsessing about home automation I can finally start next month (moving out of a flat into a terrace house that will actually benefit from it). So what are people's opinions on the opensource platforms in their current state?

I have an unRaid machine all ready to go that I plan on installing a Linux Distro VM on (probably Debian), it'll be up 24/7 as it's going to take over from my aging Drobo and Cubox as my main file server in the house. SO I plan on getting the Aeon Labs USB controller and having a go with OpenHab 2.0, which is the one I'm leaning too at the minute.

I wouldn't call myself a coder but I know Python and various proprietary languages, so am not frightened of getting my hands dirty. Stability and expandability is my main remit, although ease of use is a plus.

The ones I've had a look at are:
    OpenHab (thoughts on version 2.0?)
    OpenRemote
    Domoticz

I did consider running a OSX VM and running Indigo, but I think the overhead is too great when I can install a headless Debian distro and run these much smaller projects on it.

I welcome all your opinions & suggestions.
    Thanks
    Christian
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Have you looked at the RazBerry Pi? I currently run an Aeon Labs ZStick on Indigo. This acts as the controller and enables easy node inclusion as opposed to other solutions (depends on how many ZWave nodes you want?)

Vangelis

Comment

• niietzshe
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Aug 2014

I'm presuming you're running Indigo on a mac, not on a RPI right? That would change everything!
      Although the RPI is low powered, I quite like the idea of having my UnRaid handle everything. This worries me slightly as I usually don't like to put all my eggs in one basket. But as I can have various VMs it means I can have a Linux environment isolated for home automation and other services won't interfere with it (dependency wise anyway).

This will also run on a UPS etc, so I think I can build the UnRaid Server into something quite stable without having a device for each thing I want to do.

I believe I can install a OSX VM and being a long time mac user (about 20 years) it would be ideal, however I don't like the idea of hacking it and the overhead of a full OS compared to a streamlined headless Linux Distro is a down side. If there was a Linux version of Indigo I'd be all over it without hesitation.

Comment

• back_ache
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2009

What platform did you choose in the end? I am thinking of openhab2 on RPI2 and am interested in anyone's experiences

Comment

• niietzshe
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Aug 2014

So I'm now running an UnRaid machine for everything in my house and installed Debian/Ubuntu ontop of it to test home automation stuff.
          I tried out OH2 but just couldn't get my dimmer to work, I think this is failings on my part, not the software. However I then tried Domoticz and setup in like 10 minutes (rather than about 10 days in OH and failed). So Domoticz is super easy to setup and is pretty nice, but I still want to get OpenHab2 working at some point. I think it's the thing to use in the future, but maybe not at the minute. Saying that I'm going to try out OH1 this weekend and see if that's any easier seeing as there's more documentation on it.

Comment

• back_ache
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Oct 2009

Good luck with OH I'm interested to hear how you get on, I also want to use it to mount my (usb3) hard drive for backup purposes as relying on an human (me!) to do it manually isn't a frequent as it should be.

Comment

• niietzshe
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Aug 2014

My UnRaid machine also does this automatically

Comment

Working...
              X