Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome - poor temperature regulation

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    I would just like to say I bought an Evohome Connected (single zone) package and it was pre-configured in the box. So I couldn't have done anything wrong in installation/binding. And even then, it didn't work as advertised (building up 1.5 degree overshoots).
    Yes the radiator valves is the only way to stop this system from overheating. I get the same in that mode. If I had bought it as a normal thermostat, I would have returned it immediately. My old CM907 could get similar accuracy to your Honeywell round.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound1234 View Post
    Yes the radiator valves is the only way to stop this system from overheating. I get the same in that mode. If I had bought it as a normal thermostat, I would have returned it immediately. My old CM907 could get similar accuracy to your Honeywell round.
    you have pm
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Guru

Observation/test result: yesterday, I reset/rebinded everything and put my living room to zone 2 instead of zone 1 and the result had not improved. Actually, I noticed the HR92's were being closed while still asking for heat. I changed the HR92's to full stroke and tested again today. The change resolved the HR92's being closed while asking for heat. However, I'm now seeing the same behavior again: putting in heat every 10 minutes for an hour or two. Creating a build up to at least 0.5 above setpoint (Evohome shows 0.5 above setpoint. My own thermometer actually goes up a whole degree). Afterwards, it cools down for about 2 hours, right untill setpoint is reached. Then it starts heating again, building up the 0.5-1.0 overshoot again. So the conclusion is: using zone 2 instead of zone 1 does not improve my setup.

If anyone has other suggestions of things I might try, I'd like to hear it.

Automated Home Guru

Not being one to start flames, but I changed the HR80 in my family room for a new HR92. This is direct on a Honeywell fitting (so no adapter). It now consistently overshoots by about 1.5C. The old HR80 used to keep it bang on. I'm not seeing this in any other zone, so wondering if there is some bug in there somewhere that is causing this. I have a spare HR92 and will create a new zone, add the HR92 to it, copy the schedule over to it and put it in.

Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by roydonaldson View Post
    Not being one to start flames, but I changed the HR80 in my family room for a new HR92. This is direct on a Honeywell fitting (so no adapter). It now consistently overshoots by about 1.5C. The old HR80 used to keep it bang on. I'm not seeing this in any other zone, so wondering if there is some bug in there somewhere that is causing this. I have a spare HR92 and will create a new zone, add the HR92 to it, copy the schedule over to it and put it in.

Roy.
    Roy - it's fine - happy to help objectively.

We need a little more data about this to help though
    - How long is this 'overshoot'? How long does it last for? How often?
    - How are you creating this 'overshoot'?
    - Where are you taking your temp readings from?
    - In other zones you mention are they Hr92/Hr80? etc
    - How long had the HR92 been in place?

With regards to your 'bug' - we have hard data (from current & live users test sites) demonstrating that the HR92 controls as it should. This has also be backed up by independent 3rd part testing with the AA EUBAC rating. But we are committed to help understand what other factors within your system could be contributing, and if they are 'new' or just newly exposed.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Guru

- Seems to be regular when the zone is coming on. Lasts for about half an hour at least (though I've not monitored it thoroughly). Does it all the time.
    - Not creating it in any way.
    - I'm saying overshoot to mean, temp is set to 19 on EvoHome controller, reading of temp in zone on EvoHome is showing 21.5.
    - All other zones in house now, bar 1, are HR92s.
    - HR92 has been in place now about 2 weeks. I had thought it would settle down.

One thing that is different in my config is that it is non-standard. I have S Plan Plus. I have the downstairs zone to control downstairs zone valve, upstairs zone controls upstairs zone valve. All other zones are radiators and there is *no* boiler relay configured (just about to get that sorted, but I need a plumber to do some pipework for me).

However, was working perfectly with the old HR80 there. PM me if you'd prefer to talk offline.

- Seems to be regular when the zone is coming on. Lasts for about half an hour at least (though I've not monitored it thoroughly). Does it all the time.
    - Not creating it in any way.
    - I'm saying overshoot to mean, temp is set to 19 on EvoHome controller, reading of temp in zone on EvoHome is showing 21.5.
    - All other zones in house now, bar 1, are HR92s.
    - HR92 has been in place now about 2 weeks. I had thought it would settle down.

One thing that is different in my config is that it is non-standard. I have S Plan Plus. I have the downstairs zone to control downstairs zone valve, upstairs zone controls upstairs zone valve. All other zones are radiators and there is *no* boiler relay configured (just about to get that sorted, but I need a plumber to do some pipework for me).

However, was working perfectly with the old HR80 there. PM me if you'd prefer to talk offline.
    Appreciate that as this thread is getting long but a few more Q's which may help other forum members

- Have you put the HR80 back on? and problem goes away?
    - By creating I meant how were you issuing the command for heat - so in this case sounds like your normal schedule - if so what was the point before if you can recall?
    - just to confirm its this zone that has the prob ? or all zones with Hr92?

Thanks for patience in answering
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Guru

An overshoot as large as 1.5 is something I've only consistently seen during a year of extensive testing when using thermostat-modus (no hr92's/hr80's). Also, I haven't seen a real difference between HR80/HR92 behavior. So my guess would be that some other factor is playing a role in your case, Roy. The challenge is to find out what it is. Wrong binding? Still learning?

Rameses, not trying to be negative, really. In my opinion, it's really not good practice to be too sure of a product being perfect. It might make you miss actual real problems. A product might perform excellent in certain situations but perform poorly in different situations. For example, the 1.5 overshoot in thermostat modus only happens if a heating system is able to eventually raise temperature by 1.5 degrees with just 1 minute of heat per 10 minutes. This does not apply to all systems/houses. In certain houses, the 1 minute of heat per 10 minutes might keep the temperature spot on perfectly, or maybe it won't be enough and even cause the temperature to drop, making the system having to change to 2 minutes of heat per 10 minutes, to maintain temperature. Anyway, they won't get an overshoot. There's so many factors playing a role, there's not a single rating agency that will have tested them all. You've got hard data saying it works as it should, but some people have hard data saying it doesn't work as it should. Is it not possible for both to be right?

I'm happy to see that you're saying that you want to understand what other factors could be playing a role for Roy and not instantly dismissing the problem. I'm sure it's appreciated by Roy and certainly by me.
    Last edited by erik; 18th March 2015 at 08:06 PM.

Automated Home Guru

- Haven't had time to do swap over with HR80 or HR92 to test as of yet.
    - Yes, just normal schedule. Point before is 16. Todays schedule is: 12:00, 16 15:30, 20 20:00, 15 22:30, 10
    - Seems to be particularly this one I've noticed. I've not been watching closely. I think the kitchen slightly does this, but this is 3 HR92's in 2 rooms set as multi-room.

- Haven't had time to do swap over with HR80 or HR92 to test as of yet.
    - Yes, just normal schedule. Point before is 16. Todays schedule is: 12:00, 16 15:30, 20 20:00, 15 22:30, 10
    - Seems to be particularly this one I've noticed. I've not been watching closely. I think the kitchen slightly does this, but this is 3 HR92's in 2 rooms set as multi-room.
    Let me mail you - as I have some more Q's

Had the same overshoot observations - ironically kitchen utility was one, but I dont worry as the poor Hr92 has a bugger of a time trying to learn as one week we close the door, then next we dont . So obviously the air flow was way different.

The other time I had an overshoot was the orientation of the HR92 - found out one of my boys had moved it around so it was facing more near the rad - this didnt help.