Anyone see my 'Smart Controls' video interview with Installer Magazine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Anyone see my 'Smart Controls' video interview with Installer Magazine?

My 1 minute and 41 seconds of fame haha! - http://www.installeronline.co.uk/ins...ting-controls/

Yes OK I was nervous and yes I say 'obviously' a lot because I was nervous!

Thanks for the guys at Honeywell giving me the opportunity to come down and feature on this last year and at least you now get to put a face to the name (although not my best angle)!
  • erik
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2015

Congratulations. Good story, obviously

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Obviously Evohome is the way to go!

Two things it seems for installers and using them:

1. Make sure your installer is a qualified electrician and knows his job properly and is not simply a person who can instal a ring main or socket.

2. Make sure your installer knows how to bind the relays and the sequence in doing so, set up the control panel, set up zones, bind the HR92s and the order in doing so and also give advice on configuring set points and what it is useful to use all 6 for each zone even if you don't need them.

I think the problem at present is there are not many yet who fulfil 2 above. Judging by the correspondence in this forum there are probably many end users who do!

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
        Site Sponsor
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
        Obviously Evohome is the way to go!

Two things it seems for installers and using them:

1. Make sure your installer is a qualified electrician and knows his job properly and is not simply a person who can instal a ring main or socket.

2. Make sure your installer knows how to bind the relays and the sequence in doing so, set up the control panel, set up zones, bind the HR92s and the order in doing so and also give advice on configuring set points and what it is useful to use all 6 for each zone even if you don't need them.

I think the problem at present is there are not many yet who fulfil 2 above. Judging by the correspondence in this forum there are probably many end users who do!
        I disagree about point 1! In my opinion a electrician should not be used! Most don't have any qualification when it comes to plumbing/central heating and they certainly won't have their G3 certificate so shouldn't be touching an unvented cylinder if you are paying them for the privilege! Your friendly 'heating engineer' should have all the skills & qualifications to install evohome and if they are Gas Safe or OFTEC registered you can check their qualifications online.

Point 2 is extrememly valid and you must choose your installer well - as I have said before experience and qualifications deem them 'competent' so don't be afraid to ask about relevant experience of fitting evohome.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

I should have been clearer. A qualified electrician working within a heating business who understands. I have come across some who are qualified but the qualification seems to be limited to putting sockets in!

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
            Site Sponsor
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
            I should have been clearer. A qualified electrician working within a heating business who understands. I have come across some who are qualified but the qualification seems to be limited to putting sockets in!
            Sorry, reading that back I seem a little strong in my wording! I get electricians constantly ringing me asking how to fit the systems, so a bug bear of mine as I think they should have at least done the evohome online training as a minimum and when I have had two electricians in a row removed the high limit stats from unvented cylinders, it makes me not confident in the ability of persons who have electrical qualifications but do not have heating qualifications or experience in heating/hot systems.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
              Sorry, reading that back I seem a little strong in my wording! I get electricians constantly ringing me asking how to fit the systems, so a bug bear of mine as I think they should have at least done the evohome online training as a minimum and when I have had two electricians in a row removed the high limit stats from unvented cylinders, it makes me not confident in the ability of persons who have electrical qualifications but do not have heating qualifications or experience in heating/hot systems.
              No it wasn't! Strong that is! It was an approved Evohome installer who could not do mine at the time who advised me to ensure that who I got was not just a plumber, nor just an electrician, but a heating installer with a proper electrician on board.

Comment

Working...
              X