Best/Cheapest way to remote boost of heating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noel-pilot
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • May 2005

Best/Cheapest way to remote boost of heating?

Evening all,

I'm looking for something that I suspect isn't as simple as I hope. We're very efficient with our heating already, all TRV's on minimum in rooms we don't use, heating only turned on when it gets 'chilly' and even then just using the boost button to +1 or 2 hrs.

So aside from an improvement in comfort i'm not going to benefit from any cost reductions of efficiencies from introducing full smart heating, remote trv's, Nest etc.

What I would like to achieve however is the ability to boost the heating from our iPhones. Height of laziness I know but hey, any excuse for some automation.

So....any recommendations please? I've got a small simple setup with Indigo running on a Mac Mini so integration with that would be a bonus.

Standard programmer in place right now.

Many thanks

Noel
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Connected Single Zone Thermostat (Y87RF)? Pretty cheap way of on/off/timed control with a smart phone with added bonus of temperature feedback and built in frost protection...

Comment

• noel-pilot
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • May 2005

Thanks for the reply, so that's around £130 inc the relay etc. any opinions anyone on that approach vs say Nest? Nest would be around £180 but would it be offering any more or any less?

If I went for the connected single zone thermostat can that in the future be linked with remote TRV's or is it simply a connected thermostat that the app can be used to control?

Any demo's of the app available online?

Thanks
      Noel

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
        Site Sponsor
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by noel-pilot View Post
        Thanks for the reply, so that's around £130 inc the relay etc. any opinions anyone on that approach vs say Nest? Nest would be around £180 but would it be offering any more or any less?

If I went for the connected single zone thermostat can that in the future be linked with remote TRV's or is it simply a connected thermostat that the app can be used to control?

Any demo's of the app available online?

Thanks
        Noel
        Hi Noel,

You asked for the cheapest device and SZT is certainly the cheapest 'branded' device available. Simple in its control and programming done via app which you can download and try first from Play or App Store (just search Total Connect Comfort Europe).

The Nest thermostat is slightly more complicated than a simple on/off device and requires a bit of input initially. Only advantage with SZT is that it can be used with evohome if you did end up going down full integration and smart zoning route. I am not sure if Nest it is worth the extra ££ if you are looking for an on/off control as you first stated.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Comment

• noel-pilot
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • May 2005

Perfect thanks Richard yes very helpful, will take a look at the app and get in touch.

Comment

Working...
          X