• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m11rphy
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2015

Control of electric heating

Hi all I have moved in to a new flat that has electric heating. Each room has Dimplex electric heats and these are controlled by a Dimplex programer. The heating is split into 2 zones for heating and a 3rd for hot water. I would like to replace the Dimplex programer with a smart thermostat that I can control with my iPhone / iPad. Would I be able to do thid with the Honeywell Evohome ?
  • Rameses
    Industry Expert
    • Nov 2014

I have 2 x Dimplex EPL1000 controlled via BDR91 > evohome. (in loft)

Things to note
    - At this time we make no use of the control wire on the electric heater (if there is one) - so don't use. Effectively what you need to do is leave E-Rad on and at Max, the BDR performs the 'switching'
    - Within the room you will need a 'sensor' (DTS92 or SZT) which will act as the room sensor and will command the evohome

Then you can set this up as a zone.

Important things to note
    - The BDR91 is only rated for loads 1000kwa - (it will do slightly more but officially this is the load)
    - if the rest of your house is 'resting' and you make a call for heat in the electric zone only - this could (probably will) still make a demand call for heat from the boilier - so it will fire

This isnt an issue for me as normally the electric calls are at same time as either hotwater or another room needs it.

This is on our future's list to resolve.
    Last edited by Rameses; 18 March 2015, 08:22 PM.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• m11rphy
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2015

Hi Rameses,

we have no boiler in the flat, its fully electric, could you advise how the relay is wired ? current each Dimplex is wired to a fused spur

Comment

• Rameses
        Industry Expert
        • Nov 2014

Ahh - well in that case. ok

Assuming each rad is 1000 rated?

Its easy wiring - even I did it myself. There is a really simple diagram here

fig 2.3 top left

You need some wire to loop around the back of the BDR92 to create the internal connection L>A

The BDR91 is a wireless switch - so effectively if the load is within tolerance you can switch anything.

Dont forget the sensors though #important

PS not sure how your hotwater is done suspect this will be a bigger load - so this might need to be left on timer?/programmer?
        Last edited by Rameses; 18 March 2015, 08:29 PM.
        getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
          Site Sponsor
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
          Ahh - well in that case. ok

Assuming each rad is 1000 rated?

Its easy wiring - even I did it myself. There is a really simple diagram here

fig 2.3 top left

You need some wire to loop around the back of the BDR92 to create the internal connection L>A

The BDR91 is a wireless switch - so effectively if the load is within tolerance you can switch anything.

Dont forget the sensors though #important

PS not sure how your hotwater is done suspect this will be a bigger load - so this might need to be left on timer?/programmer?
          All of the above can be done with evohome including immersion heater, but you will have to use a second relay to the correct rating if you go over 1150watts. If it is an all electric system you will configure evohome without a 'boiler relay', the hot water as 'hot water only' and will bind in your heaters as 'zone valves'.

Any questions at all, you can give me a call.

Comment

• SteveP
            Automated Home Guru
            • Dec 2012

The BDR91 I have has a relay stating max load 10Amp. I am interested in controlling a 1400Watt electric heater via the evohome using the BDR91 which would consume 5.88 amps. I can get a 7amp BS1362 fuse for the isolation switch. Is there anything else in the BDR91 that wouldn't be able to handle that load?

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
              The BDR91 I have has a relay stating max load 10Amp. I am interested in controlling a 1400Watt electric heater via the evohome using the BDR91 which would consume 5.88 amps. I can get a 7amp BS1362 fuse for the isolation switch. Is there anything else in the BDR91 that wouldn't be able to handle that load?
              the rating of BDR91 is 5A resistive 3A inductive
              I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

Working...
              X