• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Siaron
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2005

DECT home phone

Hi. I've just got a new Panasonic dect phone (2 handsets, 1 base station) and I still have an old Philips handset. Does anyone know whether or how I can register the Philips handset to my new Panasonic base station? I'd be delighted if this is possible! Thanks.
  • sholao
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2005

Re: DECT home phone

I don't have the phones you mentioned, but I was able to register by Binatone DECT handset with my new BT DECT base station.

You will need both manuals to complete the process.

1st you need to get the panasonic system setup and working okay with its 2 handsets. By default the panasonic base staion should be base station 1, if you just follow the phillips manaul for registering a handset it would not work because it will be looking for the phillips base station which would have been base station one (by default also but with a different base ID).

You now need to check the panasonic manual and see if there is a section that tells you how to find the base station ID, get this number, and there should be an entry in the phillips manual on registering a handset to a different base station.

If you still have problems let me know, and I'll post entries from my manuals when I get home, this might point you in the right direction.
    Shola Ogunlokun
    I want to fly a hang glider across the UK

Comment

• ruffage
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Siaron
      Hi. I've just got a new Panasonic dect phone (2 handsets, 1 base station) and I still have an old Philips handset. Does anyone know whether or how I can register the Philips handset to my new Panasonic base station? I'd be delighted if this is possible! Thanks.
      Did you ever get this sorted? I've got exactly the same problem, trying to get my Philips Kala handset to talk to my new Panasonic KX-TCD515E. I'm entering the correct base unit number on the Philips handset but it never connects to the base unit, eventually giving up the search.

I thought the point of DECT and GAP was that you could mix different manufacturers' handsets? Can anyone assist please?

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

I thought the point of DECT and GAP was that you could mix different manufacturers' handsets?
        Indeed, that was the point of GAP. Are you sure both sets of phones *are* GAP compatible? I only ask as I've seen some recent handsets that specifically were not, and it surprised me as I thought everything was now.

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• ruffage
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Aug 2005

Yes, both are GAP compliant.

I've sorted it now. I called Panasonic who worryingly said that they don't test their units with other manufacturer's kit so couldn't help. I don't believe that, but they don't pay these people enough to think. Anyhow he did suggest that pressing Page on the base unit would show if the base unit could receive requests from other phones, so this helped.

Pressing Page should make all your handsets ring so you can locate them. However holding down Page makes the base unit beep, which seems to open up the phone's wireless network for a bit. During this time I could then connect my Philips handset and register it. Hurrah!

For info, to connect a Philips Kala handset to a base unit, on its keypad press R/diamond symbol, then 4. Three beeps will occur. Now enter the 4 digit base unit ID, and then finish with the R/diamond symbol. A couple of seconds later it'll connect. Just make sure all this is done whilst the base unit is in its beeping available mode.

Comment

• sholao
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jul 2005

Like I said in my earlier post, I've got mine to work.

The key thing to remember is that the each hanset has been pre-registered with a particular base station ID, so when you initiate a search it is looking for a particular ID, otherwise there is nothing stopping it from registering with your neighbour's base station.

Again I'm at work so don't have my instructions, but will try to post instruction for my system, which may or may not work for you when I get home.

Your manual should be able to tell you how to set the base station to broadcast its ID on a channel so that when you do a search on your handset on channel 1 it then locks on.
            Shola Ogunlokun

Comment

• sholao
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jul 2005

Okay here is some information that might help.

You need the following:

Instruction manual for both old and new DECT phones, from the manuals, find out the base number of both the old and new phones (by default it is usually base 1).

If you have the old base, handset and manual, follow the instructions in the manual and de-register the old handset from the old base station. The old handset should show 'no sub' or similar message.
              You should now be able to register the old handset with the new base station following instructions from both the new base station manual and old handset manual (it is a 2 stage process involving setting the base station to transmit and the handset to scan, using the proper base number).

If the old base station is not available to de-register the old handset, or the handset is not de-registered for any reason try the following.

Using the new base station's manual follow the instructions to set the base to transmit (on my old unit I had to unplug the power adaptor, re-apply power and the base transmitted for about 3 mins, on the new unit I had to hold down a particular button for 3 sec which then put it in transmit mode for 3 mins), now follow the instructions of the old handset for registering the unit, BUT MAKE SURE you press the correct base number, even if it says it is already registered to that base number.

Hope that helps
              Shola Ogunlokun

Comment

• TimH
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2004

I've sorted it now.
                Glad to hear you've got it resolved.

Cheers,

Tim.