• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garmcqui
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2015

Evohome - use windows PC?

Hi,

I've been reading the "Decoded Evohome API..." thread with great interest. However almost all of it went over my head very quickly. Sign of getting old I think!

I know there's no official way, but I don't have Linux etc, only ordinary Windows PC's and was wondering if there is any way to control Evohome or (more importantly) access/produce logs from Evohome to, say, monitor the room temperature over a 2504h period.

Cheers!!
  • ukhauk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2006

The API has been written in Python. You can download and install Python for windows. Loads of material on YouTube about Python

Comment

• garmcqui
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2015

ok have downloaded and installed python, but I can't run any of the scripts. I have tried to install "Requests" but to no avail.

Comment

• ukhauk
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2006

I use Geany to write edit and test looks like it's available for windows http://www.geany.org/Support/RunningOnWindows

Comment

• ukhauk
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2006

Start by writing something simple printing "hello world" search for Python in YouTube and get something working that's how I started.

Comment

• Mavis
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Oct 2014

I have bought myself a book called Computer Coding For Kids from the Book People that come to work. It covers Scratch and Python in detail. I am hoping that it is written at a level that I can following without having to think about it too deeply.

Comment

• garmcqui
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2015

Ok, thank you for the replies.

I have watched several videos online, read several guides etc and *think* I have installed requests, json and the evohome client form github.

However, I've just tried running the script below (the first one shown on the Evohome API thread)...

Untitled.jpg

but I'm getting a message returned that the email or password are incorrect.

I just wanted to check that I'm using the correct web addresses - is it different in the UK? The username and password I'm using are the ones I have to input to the iPhone app when first installed - yes?

Thanks

Comment

• emmeesse68
                Automated Home Guru
                • Dec 2014

...on a remotely related subject, since I noticed you are using Python 3.4.3, I fought with a lot of errors with 3.x. Then I realized most of the code around is written for Python 2.x... Installed Python 2.7 and everything went fine since then.

It seems developers are sticking to legacy more than I suspected...

Comment

Working...
                X