• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by jonstatt View Post
    I typed too quickly and went back to edit my post. I meant when I first installed the hot water kit, I removed the boiler relay (and removed the battery from the controller)....and I factory reset both BDR91s by holding down the button for 15 seconds. I also made sure that the heating relay only comes on when heat is being asked for, and the hot water one only comes on when hot water is asked for. They are not coming on when they shouldn't.
    i need a few more pictures please:

hot water sensor/ tranceiver

evohome controller

thanks
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

After a month of running perfectly.............

For now I am leaving everything alone as the power reset seems to have cured it.....anyone else experienced this?
      Yes, I have been there and I have got the t-shirt. As I have posted before, my system had a HW comms fault a few days after installation in July last year (during a heavy thunderstorm), and no more until early January when I had a couple of days of comms failures on both actuators at random times - and usually when the HW was OFF. Both BDRs were moved and replaced, and everything was fine for a month and then I got a further HW actuator comms fault lasting 4 hours. The annoying thing is that the Gateway does not report these faults to the App.

Comment

• jonstatt
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2015

I know you are going to say about the pipes with the hot water transceiver as well......the trouble is in that cupboard, the pipes go the entire height of the cupboard (expansion vessel) up the top....I positioned the BDR91 and the transceiver in the least occupied area away from the water tank. The wall to the left is not safe IMHO due to hanging clothes there, and lower down in the cupboard is the mass of cables going into the s-plan junction box. I have intentionally surface mounted the hot water bits so I could move them easily if needed, which is why I had the BDR91 outside the cupboard as an experiment. I can do the same for the transceiver too....but as the fault has disappeared for now after power off/on with the heating relay, there is no point for me to do that yet.

The controller is in the same hall as the heating BDR91 about 15 feet away.

Last edited by jonstatt; 23 March 2015, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• top brake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2015

I know you are going to say about the pipes with the hot water transceiver as well......the trouble is in that cupboard, the pipes go the entire height of the cupboard (expansion vessel) up the top....I positioned the BDR91 and the transceiver in the least occupied area away from the water tank. The wall to the left is not safe IMHO due to hanging clothes there, and lower down in the cupboard is the mass of cables going into the s-plan junction box. I have intentionally surface mounted the hot water bits so I could move them easily if needed, which is why I had the BDR91 outside the cupboard as an experiment. I can do the same for the transceiver too....but as the fault has disappeared for now after power off/on with the heating relay, there is no point for me to do that yet.

The controller is in the same hall as the heating BDR91 about 15 feet away.

Picture of the evohome fault log please

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
            Site Sponsor
            • Dec 2014

Are those turtles metallic! I am joking of course...

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

I think the most obvious fault is being overlooked, the relay is itself faulty. In the first posting a high pitched noise is mentioned. That sounds like the contacts are not good, it is likely to be the sound of current flowing. Like you get sometimes from faulty PSUs.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                Site Sponsor
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                I think the most obvious fault is being overlooked, the relay is itself faulty. In the first posting a high pitched noise is mentioned. That sounds like the contacts are not good, it is likely to be the sound of current flowing. Like you get sometimes from faulty PSUs.
                I did actually say in my first post that the relay could be faulty, but with several installation faults now visible it is important to rectify the installation correctly to manufacturers instructions before blaming equipment. At the end of the day there is a reason why I have never been called back to any of the evohome installations I have done and this is because I am 'anal' when it comes to correct installation.

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

Hmm. I don't think I'd put a relay up there. Too much turbulence.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                    Site Sponsor
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                    Hmm. I don't think I'd put a relay up there. Too much turbulence.
                    Indeed!

Comment

• jonstatt
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
                      several installation faults now visible
                      I am not sure I agree with that (but then I wouldn't). I cited the relay and transceiver in the best location I could in the airing cupboard. Yes, they are near to some water pipes, but I validated the signal strength still read 5. A water pipe is a constant. So it is not something that will vary over time unlike the EMI/RF from an electrical cable. Either the signal is affected by it or it isn't. And as mentioned I did experiment with it outside of the cupboard. The right side of that cupboard is packed with a massive water tank, expansion vessel for the heating etc. The left side of the cupboard has pipes running floor to ceiling of the cupboard. As this is also the top floor of the house and the controller is at the bottom, the pipes on either side of it are less likely an influence, as is the pipes in the floor beneath it! If I had problems from the start, you could blame the installation. But if it only starts doing it after a month, then questions have to be asked such as "What's changed?".

I am not saying the installation is perfect, or I haven't made any mistakes...but I believe I have covered all precautions to eliminate the pipes being a factor in my specific circumstances
                      Last edited by jonstatt; 23 March 2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• jonstatt
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                        Picture of the evohome fault log please
                        I also want to say I greatly appreciate Top Brake for continuing to assist me rather than just say "near water pipes, support ends, good bye", which some companies would do! I will post the pic of the fault log tomorrow

Comment

• jonstatt
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
                          Are those turtles metallic! I am joking of course...
                          LOL - The wife has an obsession with turtles...fortunately we don't have any real ones to look after

Comment

• jonstatt
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Feb 2015

Here is one of the pages of the fault log. Notice the bottom entry says a fault happened at 4:28pm. The interesting thing here, is the hot water is not operational at this time. It doesn't come on until 6pm! That is why I have come to the conclusion, that it is actually the heating relay. When you configure as s-plan, both relays appear under the banner of "Hot water" when you configure it in the controller. It is either boiler relay, or hot water. And when you go to the hot water configuration, it then asks you how for the heating relay as a subsection of the hot water. Notice that it took an hour for the lower fault to clear...which makes me think stuck relay as it is unlikely that any interference would be so persistent for so long.

Last edited by jonstatt; 24 March 2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• top brake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Feb 2015

Here is one of the pages of the fault log. Notice the bottom entry says a fault happened at 4:28pm. The interesting thing here, is the hot water is not operational at this time. It doesn't come on until 6pm! That is why I have come to the conclusion, that it is actually the heating relay. When you configure as s-plan, both relays appear under the banner of "Hot water" when you configure it in the controller. It is either boiler relay, or hot water. And when you go to the hot water configuration, it then asks you how for the heating relay as a subsection of the hot water. Notice that it took an hour for the lower fault to clear...which makes me think stuck relay as it is unlikely that any interference would be so persistent for so long.

relocate and replace the hot water relay please

Comment

• jonstatt
                                Automated Home Guru
                                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                                relocate and replace the hot water relay please
                                When you say replace...do you mean change it for another one...or just reposition? Because if we are still talking about repositioning it, as I mentioned it was outside that airing cupboard for 2 days away from anything metal at all and this page of errors I showed was during that time. Also how can there be a fault on a relay which is not being used at the time? 16.28 is during an off period for the hot water?

Comment

Working...
                                X