Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comms fault - Hot Water - Actuation

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Is there a metal back box behind the heating BDR91 or is it just a stud wall? As good practice I would be locating the hot water BDR91 right at the top of the cupboard away from those copper (metal) pipes and the cylinder itself. I am not ruling out the possibility of a faulty heating BDR91 but you need to try these things out first otherwise you end up replacing BDR91's just for the sake of it.
    Yes I understand and appreciate that. I am not rushing to change anything at this point. The heating BDR91 has no metal back box, it is just a stud wall and directly replaced the previous thermostat.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonstatt View Post
    I knew you were going to say that and that was my first thought, which is why I ran the BDR91 outside of the cupboard completely for a couple of days but it didn't make any difference...........and remember that I power reset the heating one, and since then the problems have gone (for now).

The hot water sensor/transceiver is mounted about 2.5 feet below the BDR91.

Signal level tests always show 5 whatever and whenever I try it.
    as i suggested, double binding...
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    as i suggested, double binding...
    How can that be? I factory reset both BDR91s and removed the boiler relay (and even removed the batteries from the controller to reset it). How can there be a double binding if it has worked correctly for a month? Also wouldn't I see the heating relay come on when the hot water is on or vice versa....which I am not.

How can that be? I factory reset both BDR91s and removed the heating relay (and even removed the batteries from the controller to reset it). How can there be a double binding if it has worked correctly for a month? Also wouldn't I see the heating relay come on when the hot water is on or vice versa....which I am not.
    so you are saying that you did a subsequent rebind on just the heating relay

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    so you are saying that you did a subsequent rebind on just the heating relay
    I typed too quickly and went back to edit my post. I meant when I first installed the hot water kit, I removed the boiler relay (and removed the battery from the controller)....and I factory reset both BDR91s by holding down the button for 15 seconds. I also made sure that the heating relay only comes on when heat is being asked for, and the hot water one only comes on when hot water is asked for. They are not coming on when they shouldn't.

I typed too quickly and went back to edit my post. I meant when I first installed the hot water kit, I removed the boiler relay (and removed the battery from the controller)....and I factory reset both BDR91s by holding down the button for 15 seconds. I also made sure that the heating relay only comes on when heat is being asked for, and the hot water one only comes on when hot water is asked for. They are not coming on when they shouldn't.
    i need a few more pictures please:

hot water sensor/ tranceiver

evohome controller

thanks

Automated Home Legend

After a month of running perfectly.............

For now I am leaving everything alone as the power reset seems to have cured it.....anyone else experienced this?
    Yes, I have been there and I have got the t-shirt. As I have posted before, my system had a HW comms fault a few days after installation in July last year (during a heavy thunderstorm), and no more until early January when I had a couple of days of comms failures on both actuators at random times - and usually when the HW was OFF. Both BDRs were moved and replaced, and everything was fine for a month and then I got a further HW actuator comms fault lasting 4 hours. The annoying thing is that the Gateway does not report these faults to the App.

Automated Home Guru

I know you are going to say about the pipes with the hot water transceiver as well......the trouble is in that cupboard, the pipes go the entire height of the cupboard (expansion vessel) up the top....I positioned the BDR91 and the transceiver in the least occupied area away from the water tank. The wall to the left is not safe IMHO due to hanging clothes there, and lower down in the cupboard is the mass of cables going into the s-plan junction box. I have intentionally surface mounted the hot water bits so I could move them easily if needed, which is why I had the BDR91 outside the cupboard as an experiment. I can do the same for the transceiver too....but as the fault has disappeared for now after power off/on with the heating relay, there is no point for me to do that yet.

The controller is in the same hall as the heating BDR91 about 15 feet away.

Last edited by jonstatt; 23rd March 2015 at 06:05 PM.

I know you are going to say about the pipes with the hot water transceiver as well......the trouble is in that cupboard, the pipes go the entire height of the cupboard (expansion vessel) up the top....I positioned the BDR91 and the transceiver in the least occupied area away from the water tank. The wall to the left is not safe IMHO due to hanging clothes there, and lower down in the cupboard is the mass of cables going into the s-plan junction box. I have intentionally surface mounted the hot water bits so I could move them easily if needed, which is why I had the BDR91 outside the cupboard as an experiment. I can do the same for the transceiver too....but as the fault has disappeared for now after power off/on with the heating relay, there is no point for me to do that yet.

The controller is in the same hall as the heating BDR91 about 15 feet away.

Picture of the evohome fault log please

Are those turtles metallic! I am joking of course...