Is it possible to upgrade the firmware in the evohome controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluemike1676
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2015

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware in the evohome controller?

In most smart devices (ie those containing a decent microprocessor) it is possible to upgrade the firmware as that is updated over time to include new features. The firmware in the evohome controller is the smart programme that controls the system and I imagine it is being updated over time to remove bugs and improve function. I wondered if it might be possible to update somehow when new firmware becomes available.
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

This subject is well covered in various posts in this forum. Honeywell has no plans to upgrade the firmware in the present version of the Evohome controller.

Comment

• sharpener
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
      This subject is well covered in various posts in this forum.
      See in particular this and the following pages http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...our-say)/page5

Comment

• bluemike1676
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
        This subject is well covered in various posts in this forum. Honeywell has no plans to upgrade the firmware in the present version of the Evohome controller.
        Apologies, new to the forum and hadn't come across these other threads and for some reason my first search didn't show them (user error I'm sure). I now see firmware updates are a hot topic and the view that Honeywell don't expect the firmware will need updating seems somewhat short sighted for an expensive system like this that has such potential to be developed and improved. Not contemplating firmware updates just gives the competition a head start and discourages some from investing in what is an expensive system.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

No apology needed. My response reflects the frustration that I feel about Honeywell's stance on this subject. Evohome is a great system but it is not flawless in its operation.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

The Gateway can be upgraded remotely but not sure about the Control Panel. However, there is a USB socket on the Panel. If you design a system so that you can upgrade the Gateway remotely then you are hardly likely to overlook the future needs of the Control Panel. Hence presumably the USB socket. Whilst Honeywell have said there are no current plans to upgrade the software in the Panel that does not mean they never will. I remain confident (although some may say naive!) that Honeywell would not have produced a system like this without the ability to upgrade the software in the hardware. Doing that is quite mundane these days, it happens with all sorts of devices. The problem I am sure is probably not that Honeywell will never do it but more that they do not want to be pushed as to when they do it. We will shortly see Apple releasing Homekit and am sure we will in time then also see changes to the Evohome app

Comment

• erik
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2015

I think the real question is: does Honeywell feel there's a NEED for a firmware upgrade?

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by erik View Post
                I think the real question is: does Honeywell feel there's a NEED for a firmware upgrade?
                ...and if I was Honeywell at present I would question whether there is a real need. We are but a few users who know of some issues or quirks which in time could do with improving but it is my guess there are many many more users out there, far more than us, who have no problems. I know the system works, I also know there could be some improvements, more customisable Quick Actions, a more sensitive optimisation, but probably for a majority of users they are not major issues. These pages have shown many users with issues but more often than not they seem to be installation/using issues that are resolved and an upgrade is not needed for those. I would like more customisable menus but to be honest the system works for me, more so with optimisation off, so I do not actually need an upgrade. And that may be the reaction from the majority. So probably Honeywell has not felt a need at present but that does not mean they never will.

Still think the app does not look as professional as it could. It does the job though. Use of colour, different fonts and icons could make it look nice but then it will still do the same. An ability though to set a Quick Action for a few hours instead of 24 would be nice.

Comment

• sharpener
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by erik View Post
                  Q: How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. The light bulb will do so by itself given time, but it must really, REALLY want to change.
                  B-boom!

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by sharpener View Post
                    Q: How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. The light bulb will do so by itself given time, but it must really, REALLY want to change.
                    B-boom!
                    ...and that I just do not follow.

Comment

Working...
                    X