• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluemike1676
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2015

What is the recommended way to configure Evohome for a sundial S plan plus

I've been struggling to configure my sundial S plan plus in Evohome for a few weeks and after much research and reading of many posts on this site I seem to have figured out the best way to do it. So to save others time I thought it would be useful to put this down in a focussed post with an appropriate title that others should be able to find easily. Here goes….

A 'sundial S plan plus' typically has three zone valves, one to control hot water and two to control two heating zones, often upstairs and downstairs. This is the case in our house. The sundial S plan (ie without the 'plus') has one CH zone valve and one HW zone valve. Also the S plan plus can have more than 2 CH zone valves if you have more than 2 CH zones but I'll not consider that here, just the S plan plus with two CH zone valves.

We have just purchased an evohome system including HR92s for all radiators and are in the process of installing the system. The evohome documentation covers how to configure evohome for a sundial S plan but not a sundial S plan plus. So how should it be configured for our S plan plus ?

The first question is how many zones to configure. It seems to me that one should default to one CH zone and only add more zones if some areas need different temperatures at different times. Geography or room type considerations (ie what rooms are close to each other or rooms that have the same function) should not play a part in the zoning plan. Therefore we have divided the upstairs into four zones (bathrooms, front beds, back beds and landing). The downstairs is divided into three zones (kitchen, corridor and sitting rooms).

The next question then is how to configure the evohome system for those zones where the underlying plumbing is a sundial S plan plus system since the evohome does not intrinsically support an sundial S plan plus with three 2 port valves (V4043s). I was hoping the documentation would give some guidance on how to setup a sundial S plan plus but sadly it seemed silent on this. Perhaps this could be added in a later addition.

In the end I realised that a zoned control system such as evohome means there is now far less need to control the two CH zone valves independently since the evohome system will take care of turning each evohome zone on and off as required through the HR92s or other actuator. Independent control of the zone valves was more important in the old setup with mechanical TRVs because they were far less able to control temperature. This meant one needed to control the flow of hot water to them to make sure they were off when they were supposed to be off.

Therefore I have concluded that I should configure the evohome system for a sundial S plan (notionally one CH valve and one hot water valve) even though the underlying plumbing is for a sundial S plan plus system (two CH valves and one HW valve). The question then is how you link evohome into the multiple CH zone valves. I think it is just a case of connecting the switched feed from the CH BDR91 to the motor feeds (brown wire) of both the two V4043 CH zone valves so the zone valves are wired in parallel.

I did think of dropping the zone valves completely and setting up the none HW BDR91 as the 'boiler demand' relay to directly fire the boiler (and the pump) but then thought doing that would mean hot water flowing around the central heating circuit when the CH is off but the HW is on. For instance in summer. That will lead to some inefficiency and so decided to leave the zone valves in place. This would be more important if any of the radiators have mechanical TRVs rather than HR92s.

One of the disadvantages of not having a boiler demand BDR91 is that you cannot configure boiler cycle times and min durations which means you are stuck with the default - 6 times and hour and a minimum of 1 minute. However this doesn't seem like a big loss.

Is that the best way to configure a sundial S plan plus in evohome ?
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Hi

Firstly thanks for posting, your understanding is spot on.

You can configure with both CH valves powered off the 'Heating' relay as you describe.

Optimal is to manually latch open both CH valves and install boiler relay so that you control boiler firing rate, particularly beneficial on modern high efficiency boilers.
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• roydonaldson
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2013

Can you explain the benefit of latching open the CH valves ?

I've now bound the BDR91 as boiler relay. Surely if you latch them open, then when there is demand for DHW, then it pumps round the central heating circuit too ?

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
        Can you explain the benefit of latching open the CH valves ?

I've now bound the BDR91 as boiler relay. Surely if you latch them open, then when there is demand for DHW, then it pumps round the central heating circuit too ?
        the CH valves have no function anymore if you fit HR92 to all radiators

Water cannot be 'pumped round' unless the individual TRV are open to allow flow through the radiators; ergo if there are no TRV/radiators open there will be no flow.

Comment

• davidaj
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
          the CH valves have no function anymore if you fit HR92 to all radiators

Water cannot be 'pumped round' unless the individual TRV are open to allow flow through the radiators; ergo if there are no TRV/radiators open there will be no flow.
          I have the S plan arrangement (not the plus) but thought having the relay trigger the valve and the valve trigger the boiler was the optimal setup, since even with HR92s on all rads, the hot water would still circulate the house through the walls/floor pipework (bypassing each radiator), so less efficient than being prevented flowing anywhere by the valve at the "front door". I have a brand new Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 637 System Boiler, but not sure what cycle and minimum run time settings to use for best efficiency, and don't see anything in the boiler manuals to suggest anything. If I were to switch to a "valve always open and boiler relay" configuration instead, would the benefit of adjusting the boiler settings outweigh the valve closed approach, and if so what settings are advisable? In the "valve closed" approach couldn't the same boiler firing effect be achieved by evohome opening the valve to match the desired boiler cycle/min time settings? I guess in this mode pump overrun would not work as the valve is closed and water will not flow anywhere.

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by davidaj View Post
            I guess in this mode pump overrun would not work as the valve is closed and water will not flow anywhere.
            Correct, hence why it is really important to have a system bypass valve

On a gas boiler the defaults apply 6 cycles per hour, 1 minute minimum run time

Comment

• sharpener
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Jan 2015

On a gas boiler the defaults apply 6 cycles per hour, 1 minute minimum run time
              But as posted by others 1 minute is often too short. After the boiler has gone through its pre-lighting purge and self-test routine this hardly gives time for the flame to stabilise let alone get any meaningful hot water to any of the radiators.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sharpener View Post
                But as posted by others 1 minute is often too short. After the boiler has gone through its pre-lighting purge and self-test routine this hardly gives time for the flame to stabilise let alone get any meaningful hot water to any of the radiators.
                Hence why the minimum run time is adjustable.

Comment

• sharpener
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Jan 2015

Hence why the minimum run time is adjustable.
                  Not if you have the setup described by davidaj or bluemike. And if (like me) you have an oil boiler then you would want at least 3 mins and preferably 5 to get it up to working temperature to stave off corrosion. That's why several people have asked why this option is not available if you have only zone valves and not a boiler relay, and why in certain circumstances the evotouch calls for shorter firing times than the selected minimum.

Maybe the answer is to add a timer like the one in post #29 here http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...H-system/page3, it's less than half the price of an extra BDR91 (it's not clear if the particular timer mentioned has the desired functionality but, as they say, other timers are available).

Originally posted by bluemike1676 View Post
                  One of the disadvantages of not having a boiler demand BDR91 is that you cannot configure boiler cycle times and min durations which means you are stuck with the default - 6 times and hour and a minimum of 1 minute.

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sharpener View Post
                    Not if you have the setup described by davidaj or bluemike. And if (like me) you have an oil boiler then you would want at least 3 mins and preferably 5 to get it up to working temperature to stave off corrosion. That's why several people have asked why this option is not available if you have only zone valves and not a boiler relay, and why in certain circumstances the evotouch calls for shorter firing times than the selected minimum.

Maybe the answer is to add a timer like the one in post #29 here http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...H-system/page3, it's less than half the price of an extra BDR91 (it's not clear if the particular timer mentioned has the desired functionality but, as they say, other timers are available).
                    Has been explained in other threads, you only need 2 BDR91. One as boiler relay, one as hot water relay. Latch open or remove heating zone valve. This is the optimal installation that enables cycle rate and min run time settings. These settings are not available with a 'sundial' application as the boiler is switched according to end switch on zone valves.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

• Chicleracha
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Nov 2015

Has been explained in other threads, you only need 2 BDR91. One as boiler relay, one as hot water relay. Latch open or remove heating zone valve. This is the optimal installation that enables cycle rate and min run time settings. These settings are not available with a 'sundial' application as the boiler is switched according to end switch on zone valves.

Hope this makes sense.
                      Hi guys,
                      I know its been a while since the last response to this thrraf but I hope you can throw me a bone here.
                      Same scenario described earlier in this post, sundial s with two valves, although both for central heating. Hot water provided in demand by ideal logic es35 combi boiler (hence no water tank) I understand the principles of the optimal evohome deployment in this situations:
                      A) electrically disconnect valves and latch them open
                      B)HR92 on all radiators
                      C) BDR91 as boiler relay

When I get stuck is with the wiring. I have a honewell junction box to control current system hence I would like to connect the BDR91 to that box. As far as I understand Live
                      , neutral and earth terminals on the BDR91 will go to terminals 1,2&3 on the junction box. Terminal B will connect to terminal 10, after disconnecting the orange wires from the valves, as they are connected to the room stat/timer terminal of the ideal boiler. Looking at the evohome manual I can't figure out what I need to connect to terminal A, as the combi boiler only uses this room stats/timer terminal instead of the PL and SL (permanent and switched live) described on the manual. See below picture

The only thing that comes to mind is to connect same Live cable from terminal 1 to terminal A on BDR91.

Any hint would be highly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X